Sign in to follow this  
BadLuckBurt

Just taking a moment to reflect here

I believe this is a known issue from Wurm Online, my water reflections get messed up at certain angles when viewing certain things. I figured out that the water's reflecting things that are under the surface at times, is there a fix for this? My graphics drivers are up to date and I'm on an AMD Radeon HD 6570, on-board graphics are disabled.

On a sidenote, I am impressed with Wurm's quantum state reflections:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BadLuckBurt/screenshot/583574795891290213

I seem to recall something wonky with Radeon and Wurm water reflections, some setting in Compatability tab that maybe helped, give me a bit to poke around and see if I can find it again. Which operating system are you on by the way?

edit: I found this 2014  thread but I seem to recall one with more discussion, and maybe one with a partial fix (give up A to get B type fix). But the issue seems the same - radeons reversing reflections for underwater items. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Thank you. I am on Windows 7 Ultimate. AMD Catalyst doesn't have a compatibility tab but I remember another program that exposed other options, the name escapes me but I'll find it if necessary :)

I was thinking of the Wurm Launcher compatibility tab, but my memory goes blank at what setting it might have been. And that was in maingame, some settings have gradually been removed from options over time. Something about buffer, maybe FBO / frame buffer? VBO / vertex buffer?  P buffer? Try toggling those "B is for Buffer" options through their various states in wurm settings (compatability)

Do Radeons still use Catalyst AI and do you have that disabled? I know Catalyst AI has a history of causing glitches in the game, and for years people were advised to uncheck that.

Might need one of the Wurm Online client devs to confirm if ATI Radeon + inverted reflections has any known history, because I just have a very weak recollection and am not finding an easy answer in google.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

it worked for me to set reflections to sky only, i had the same problem..

Edited by hoof2000
  • Like 1

I was thinking of the Wurm Launcher compatibility tab, but my memory goes blank at what setting it might have been. And that was in maingame, some settings (Pbuffer etc) have gradually been removed from options over time.

Do Radeons still use Catalyst AI and do you have that disabled? I know Catalyst AI has a history of causing glitches in the game, and for years people were advised to uncheck that.

Might need one of the Wurm Online client devs to confirm if ATI Radeon + inverted reflections has any known history, because I just have a very weak recollection and am not finding an easy answer in google.

My older card had the option for Catalyst AI but I think they removed it at some point, it's not there anymore. It only worked well on games that were made with those functions in mind. I still need to mess around with the options in Wurm, I'll do that tomorrow and see what happens.

it worked for me to set reflections to sky only, i had the same problem..

Thanks, if all else fails I'll have to resort to that. I do like accurate reflections though.

I played with Wurm's compatibility options but the problem persists. I'm going to suck it up for now and just pick spots to build where that effect is minimised. Apparently a new render engine is in the works anyway, probably due soontm but I can live with that.

• Like 1

I have had one more go at the Compatibility tab after looking at the water shader class in the client files. The problem is tied to VBO. If I disable that setting, the water reflections are fine. Doing that does completely mess up object shadows and renders them very dark.

• Like 1

Disable shadows then :P My recollection was that it was one of those "give up A to get B" type fixes.

• Like 1

I went for crappy reflections. Walking through a forest without shadows is weird :D I'm looking to buy an NVIDIA card in the near future, hopefully that'll fix things if they don't get fixed before that time.

i disabled them, sailing is dumb with them on. ati/amd always gets the shaft when it comes to this game. We went with a memory leak for nearly a year that would cause a crash

I've grown used to it by now. I'm not sure where the problem lies if the shader works fine on NVIDIA cards, it has to do with the way they implemented certain OpenGL functions. The shark's a good example of that as well. I wish I knew how to write shaders then I would attempt to fix it myself. I kinda knew what to look for when I investigated but no clue on how to change that to something that would work. As for the memory leak, kinda glad I missed that one ;)