Sign in to follow this  
neofit

Ores in Adventure mode

Hi,

Is the ore distribution the same on all Adventure maps for everyone, or is it reset differently when one is starting a map?

I'm sick and tired of prospecting for ore around the JK capital of Winkshir. If it's the same for everyone, maybe people could share their discoveries? I've got plenty of iron veins up to very good quality, got 1 zinc, can't find anything else, need copper badly.

Edit: maybe there is a way to prospect faster as a GM?

Edited by neofit

Edit: maybe there is a way to prospect faster as a GM?

I am pretty sure everyone using default Adventure Map gets the exact same ire distribution. 

Yes, you can set your prospecting skill to 99. Use ANALYZE on rocks insode the cave and if you have a compass you can detect how many tiles around and the exact location:

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Analyze

It's probably also possible to load the files into one of the Map Generator programs, study the cave map and once you can orient your exact location on it, figure out a precise path to each vein but that is more complicated and some might consider it a little "cheaty" (but then so is anything using GM power too). 

It's completely up to you to determine the borderlines between frustrating-challenging-fun-boring, because the exact combination will not be the same for any two people. Just resist using any helpers unless you are really not enjoying it otherwise, then do as you please :P It is usually harder to resist temptation if you give into it too easy, I used to ruin plenty of wonderful games (original Baldurs Gate)  by succumbing to temptations too easily and now I finally realize there is only myself being cheated and that makes it easier to enjoy games much longer. I play Creative modes now and I keep separate custom maps for GM powergaming and RP challenge modes, and that seems to make things a little easier too since there is random differences in the worlds. I am not sure if all Adventure Mode quests/missions are random or predetermined, but if they are the latterit may be be best played "pure" as long as possible, because you'll never get a second crack at innocence. . 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I know how Analyze works, I have two years of WO behind me. Thing is, we didn't have any copper in the whole of the Serendipity peninsula on Deli, and I remember going to the public veins in the Green Tunnel half way across the map to get any. Thank god you could talk to alliance members and other people in WO to get a clue as to where to find something. I certainly wouldn't want to have to prospect/analyze half of the Adventure map for my first copper vein, all by myself, in this WU that I bought to get a less tedious Wurm experience :). I wouldn't want to spawn some copper in coffers too. So an exchange of information in the forums, akin to a chat window in WO, would be imho the less guilt-inducing way of finding ore.

It's probably also possible to load the files into one of the Map Generator programs

Now that was an awesome idea. I hadn't paid much attention to these programs thinking that there were only map generating ones, but this MapViewer does an awesome job, you can even zoom in to tile level :).

yah even the simple map generators will allow you to load a map then save the cave map (ore locations)  as a PNG that you can look at in any image viewer, but I imagine MapViewer has a lot more bells and whistles for people who just want to view maps and don;t want to get distracted by all of the biomes and dirt dropping type functions :D

I think maps like DELI had "regional clusters" (my deli deed was all stupid tin, no iron  :( ) but it looks like WU ore generation is pretty much random generated noise so there should be any ore in any large area  someplace.  The cave map should at least confirm it  exists and give some clues to narrow down the area. You can go further and plot out an exact tunneling scheme if you are motivated enough. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

The cave maps that come with adventure & creative are regional.... ie come in clusters for each ore type, any other map that is custom generated will be like Brash says, "white noize".

Oh btw, from what i can see, addy and glimmer viens are no where to be seen on the adventure & creative cave maps :(