Sign in to follow this  
kolgrim

What does a decent host computer need to run WU?

What specifications would be good and ideal for a Wurm Unlimited server and is there an officially sponsored hosting company somewhere? The few hosts I've found have had different prices of servers for basically the same specs. I'm not looking for a huge map (maybe as small as 2048x2048) and the max amount of players would be from 10-30.

Explain good host server specs to me like I was am a noob, and if you know, about how much it'd cost.

I run a virtual private server from time4vps.eu. It is cheaper than getting a pure dedicated server.

The setup has 2* 2,5 GHz cores and 8GB RAM. You really don't need to worry about bandwidth usage or storage.

I run a 2048^2 map with 6 total users and at most 3 concurrent users. RAM usage stays stable at around 1 GB, maybe this is a max-memory setting or something, but still, 8GB RAM is overkill.

Wurm is also not extremely latency-sensitive. Its not an FPS like counterstrike, my girlfriend has no problems playing from Japan with 400 ms ping.

Here you see my monthly CPU usage stats. Notice the drop after the latest patch that removed infinite protected_tiles saving. It uses 5% of CPU after patch.

LCWN8IP.png

TLDR
If you just run the server for yourself and a few friends, you can run WU Dedicated server on your grandmas coffee brewer.