Sign in to follow this  
Ragnar_Dreadbane

My biggest fear realised- Why private servers suck

OH MY GOD!

these replies are totally missing his point and doing so from multiple angles!

The core point he is making is that the chance of a person shutting down a server and you loosing all your work is much higher than it is for Steam going down and a company run MMO going down.

that is all.

really????????????????????????????

wow!

TO BE FAIR, however, yes its true a lot of multi-player games have this model as well however most multiplayer games are FPS shooters, only recently has there been a LOT of multiplayer building style games and as a result the gaming industry it self should consider these points and create a solution which to be completely frank would be easier than creating a new launcher for Wurm

Edited by Tux

OH MY GOD!

these replies are totally missing his point and doing so from multiple angles!

The core point he is making is that the chance of a person shutting down a server and you loosing all your work is much higher than it is for Steam going down and a company run MMO going down.

that is all.

wow!

TO BE FAIR, however, yes its true a lot of multi-player games have this model as well however most multiplayer games are FPS shooters, only recently has there been a LOT of multiplayer building style games and as a result the gaming industry it self should consider these points and create a solution which to be completely frank would be easier than creating a new launcher for Wurm

Just a heads up,  I'm seeing BlueFangSolutions London server as online with 4 players on it right now.  

Over time, clans running their own servers will likely start having their own forums/web presence so you can check them out and see what you're getting into.  DayZ mod is a lot like that, along with many others.

Doesn't guarantee anything, but would presumably allow you to maintain contact, or have some warning should the end of the world be upon you.

I would personally expect BlueFang to stick it out at least 1 month if they hope to drum up business as a hosting solution.  Just a cursory look at their website but they don't seem to be DudeInHisBasement with an old commodore running a server.

OH MY GOD!

wow!

Easy there cowboy, no need to get all worked up. 

pretty much there is always a chance and with the new game and new companies jumping on board trying to get in on the action it's going to take awhile to see which ones are trust worthy as far as price, connection, and longevity.   I have researched a bit on these gaming hosts.....and tons of them have gone under or stopped hosting after awhile or right away if they find out that they might lose money with the price they advertised.

The best bet is to wait and see if you are going to use one of these hosts  that way you find out where the price settles and which ones are in it for the long haul.   Personally I think it might be better to host your own server and up your ISP instead of paying these out side sources.

I am not exactly sure how that addresses what I said.

Anyway..what I am trying to say and have actually said is that games that have an investment made by the players (building games but not FPS games) simply need to add the option to download the database at any snapshot in time.

Problem solved.

most people with a reasonable I.Q. rating and not of age 5 should know that if you invest in a building project hosted on a server who is running the game from him travel trailer should be wary of longevity and the option to simply download the database files at specfic time frames seems to be easier to create than installing an Office Product.

People already have the ability to back up their character as well as their deed using exisitng mod tools from Wurm Online, and mods for WU for import are being worked on.  It just requires you taking responsibility for keeping that information current, then finding a new server owner willing to help you recreate that on import.

Expecting a server admin to give a player the database backup is not going to happen, first thing PVE players will do is search the database for valuable resource nodes and own the server economy.  First thing PVP players will do is scout out their PVP enemies supply camps.   

People already have the ability to back up their character as well as their deed using exisitng mod tools from Wurm Online, and mods for WU for import are being worked on.  It just requires you taking responsibility for keeping that information current, then finding a new server owner willing to help you recreate that on import.

Expecting a server admin to give a player the database backup is not going to happen, first thing PVE players will do is search the database for valuable resource nodes and own the server economy.  First thing PVP players will do is scout out their PVP enemies supply camps.   

that sounds awesome but I am unclear on something

back up your 'deed'? that means all your buildings etc?

if so that is very awesome

HOWEVER, if said deed back up can only be restored to the server database in question then its kinda useless

Edited by Tux

This is exactly the reason why I decided not to play WU seriously until a super decent looking server comes out I'm willing to waste time on.

This is exactly the reason why I decided not to play WU seriously until a super decent looking server comes out I'm willing to waste time on.

I see so until something comes out you can waste time on your not going to waste time! ;)

For what it is worth, I am also showing London Bluefang as still up and running online, although it was very slow to pop up on the list and has the highest ping (probably because I am West Coast USA, but maybe it is also slower if they have a lot of active building and stuff going on. Or maybe their hardware just needs a kick, as can happen with Code Club official servers too)

bflondon.GIF

anyway I would check again as it might have just been very slow to load in the server browser. Everytime I refreshed I had to wait an extra minute to see if it would even appear, but it always did eventually.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

The BlueFang servers are there for advertisement and testing purposes only. Why anyone thinks they can establish a community on them is beyond me.

7 Days to die had this problem too. People think BlueFang and other hosting companies are hosting free servers. They are not free or long term, they are simply advertisement and testing. You jump into the one closest to you to test out lag and other features. When you're ready you buy it from them.

I own a 7days to die server from BlueFang, they are good to me. Don't use the test servers seriously.  Test on them and buy or find a established community.

http://kangawu.com.au/

I recommend this one ^

Edited by BuddyDude

Well the nice thing about WU is when you get into a server that is being hosted by long time friends you can trust. 

Not too worried it will go down unless we all stop playing.

Edited by Zelbane

Take our server for instance, We have had maybe a max of 20 players at the most. But we are a tight nitch of friends that have been gaming together for years and we host for multiple games. the server is owned by us on a 300mb connection and costs us nothing to run. Thus why we still host game servers that noone else plays like ss13. if you ever need a server to chill out on anyones welcome on ours as it will be around for years to come.    Not all servers will dump you out Wyrm is a good one and wyvern just to mention a couple. our is the utopia server.

PS Not to forget the best server of all Wurm Online. freedom cluster has some of the most amazing people i have ever met. if all else fails try that.

Edited by SoulSnatcher
  • Like 1

Wurm online is your only way to make sure your character and items will never be deleted or

*cough* wurmageddon.

hosing the server yourself.

Yep. And doing backups :P

• Like 1

like all games you run that risk of losing everything. i was playing skyrim last week and my computer crashed i lost my main my backup and everything on my hard drive because of it, being a gamer you just have to suck it up and move on if you still wanna cry...make your own server then long as your hard drive doesnt give out you will always have that char and server

Ragnar, no surprise here really. I consider any time that I spend playing/building on a private server as being spent only for those moments there that it provided. Then if the server goes down tomorrow no loss to me really. If anyone wants the most secure stability that what they create and build within Wurm then they definitely should *not* be playing Wurm Unlimited, other than on their own private server hosted on their own computer.

This type of permanence will only be provided by the Wurm Online servers and that is a whole other game in terms of the time it takes to accomplish anything remotely similar to what you had experienced on that private WU server. All tradeoffs and choices to be made, which should at least be realized and considered before playing the game in either mode. 

Wurmhole made a good point though, in that it will take some time before the more stable WU servers begin to establish themselves with that reputation. Yet even as those emerge I wouldn't put any faith in them not vanishing whenever the player hosts tire of them for various "gee I'm sorry" reasons.

=Ayes=

like all games you run that risk of losing everything. i was playing skyrim last week and my computer crashed i lost my main my backup and everything on my hard drive because of it, being a gamer you just have to suck it up and move on if you still wanna cry...make your own server then long as your hard drive doesnt give out you will always have that char and server

this is getting exhausting

The chance of you loosing your private game on your private machine because of a crash in which you didn't save your files is LESS than some random guy who thru up a server and 4 weeks later decided to shut it down.

major eye roll there.

I run a server right now but I don't feel like the server is my property. After playing with Ultra dude on release and the people of Harvestmoon, my perspective on this game complete changed.

Originally I was like Jet Li in that movie where his family gets killed and he wanders away drunk only to wake up in a town full of helpful people. There he finds Peace in life and try to teach and help those around him.

That is what Harvestmoon did for me, and the goal of my server is to promote this sort of peace with playing a pretty awesome game. To me, that is what the game of Wurm is about. When I decide to take a break, i'll just give my server to my community, and they can choose to keep it running or not.

Right now I have having too much fun failing as a GM and turning those failures into awesome adventures.

That's why you have several drives......esp as a gamer...how you lost all that water cooled exploded?  have yet to see a computer lose 2 drives just because it crashed,

Edited by Uberknot

I agree private servers suck. This is the reason wurm unlimited will fail, there will always only be one maybe two well populated server, and for the people who dont like whats going on in those servers its just tough luck and they have nowhere to play. Its why ive always been against games like WU who only do player hosted servers, and dont release official servers

Edited by Josh

I agree private servers suck. This is the reason wurm unlimited will fail, there will always only be one maybe two well populated server, and for the people who dont like whats going on in those servers its just tough luck and they have nowhere to play. Its why ive always been against games like WU who only do player hosted servers, and dont release official servers

You do realize there are a ton of people who  left Wurm to go to their own little private small populated server because they do not want lots of people?  It will never fail because lots of people actually like not dealing with the MMO crap and what that brings.  Eventually those small servers on WO like Pristine, Release, etc...will in fact piddle down to GV sized populations, because people have left to make their own game with the friends and family on a private server that only costs a one time fee!  :)

One payment a lifetime of fun!!  WU it's wonderful!

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 4

you do realize there are a ton of people who  left Wurm to go to their own little private small populated server because they do not want lots of people?  It will never fail because lots of people actually like not dealing with the MMO crap and what that brings.  Eventually those small servers on WO like Pristine, Release, etc...will in fact piddle down to GV sized populations, because people have left to make their own game with the friends and family on a private server that only costs a one time fee :)

you also realize they have released "official" servers for almost 10 years? its called Wurm Online...