Sign in to follow this  
Ragnar_Dreadbane

My biggest fear realised- Why private servers suck

you also realize they have released "official" servers for almost 10 years? its called Wurm Online...

And I've paid into those well over 1k over the last 6-7 years and now :) no more. now i can update my computer and isp instead and have all the fun I want.  Better wake up WU is more popular than you think.  :D  

Edited by Uberknot

And I've paid into those well over $700-1k over the last 6-7 years and now :) no more. now i can update my computer and isp instead and have all the fun I want.  Better wake up WU is more popular than you think.  :D  

Doesnt seem very popular to me, was on top sellers for like 3 days now its nowhere to be found on the list and games like h1z1, ark, 7 days to die, have passed it.

I enjoyed WU on a server, until everyones started leaving the server. Was the 2nd most populated server as well. 

Doesnt seem very popular to me, was on top sellers for like 3 days now its nowhere to be found on the list and games like h1z1, ark, 7 days to die, have passed it.

I enjoyed WU on a server, until everyones started leaving the server. Was the 2nd most populated server as well. 

Then you need to stay with WO because you want lots of people.  WU will be more small servers and hermits having their own fun and a couple bigger communities from WO running a server.   

Edited by Uberknot

Then you need to stay with WO because you want lots of people.

Yep have played it for years. Plan on it

There are over 500-600 servers listed and 1k players playing....that tells you its more about people having their own little small server to them selves and having fun.   I do see a couple bigger ones that migrated from the forums here.

over 65-70% of them are passworded servers.  I counted 50+ pages and only 15 pages of un protected servers.

Edited by Uberknot

Players need access to server backups, so in case the server falls, any player can set up the game as it was in his/her latest backup.

I backup my WU server folder at least every other day.  This way is it goes pop can restart it with no loss to anyone. 

When comparing WO to WU I think some of the other factors are being overlooked too:

- Controversies like the recent fountain pan rename if they appear to be poorly handled push people towards finding their own solution

- The ability to fix bugs quick rather then wait on an uncertain schedule makes WU attractive

- Awesome mods that expand the game can appear almost overnight (like the priest and creature mods available on WU)

- Want to experience that new server experience but no servers announced on WO? Well just use one of many available map generators to create one of your own

- Tired of running an army of alts? Instead decrease the action timers greatly and enjoy being able to create something, say a guard tower, in a fraction of the time with only one character. If you came to the game to build things rather then grind skills this might be more attractive to you

- As much as economy is a big thing on WO it doesn't have to be anywhere else and with that realization comes freedom from things that are hard to change.

WO has stuff going for it right now provided it's well handled:

- A seasoned staff group that have been around for a long time

- A hosted solution that has been up for years

- An established community

Unlike Challenge I don't expect WU to fail. WU gives people freedom and when you are dealing with a community largely composed of creative people then the modding abilities, whether you create mods or just use them, are going to move Wurm development leadership from Wurm Online to Wurm Unlimited. WO will likely face a future of core dev team working on major game changing things like multi-story housing, 3d mines, new graphics engine, bridges, permissions with way less focus on expanding current content (like new cows etc). WO will benefit from adding in mods developed (and tested) in WU.

The interesting discussion no one is having is around the evolution of what Codeclub sells moving forward.

Pre WU:

- Wurm software in the form of premium licenses for players to purchase and use

- Hosting of Wurm online servers

- Support of players

There were problems in this world:

- Toxic community (griefers, disagreements with rules, rules not making sense, potential bias etc)

- Server lag

- Staff change-over and management

Potential Post WU world:

- Wurm software

This would get rid of all the headaches that comes from hosting servers and managing both game rules and staff. Outsource all this to someone running their own servers instead.

For it to work they need WU to be a smash hit. Sales numbers look kind of stagnant to me so I don't think they've achieved this goal (assuming it is one).

For WU to be a smash hit they need to get modding support into the official code.

~Nappy

You know.. for the cost of an average deed and premium on WO you can rent your own server right?

I'll be doing that, just stuck on the truly difficult part:

Picking a map from all the ones I've been generating ^_

That is the hard part for sure because if you plan on playing a long time in WU like we do on WO you will have the same map for years, lol

Sorry to hear about the loss of your all hours spent playing. I know the feeling.

playing on a private server has always this kind of risk, no matter the game, it just seems more harsh with wurm, since it's so heavily relying on community and long play times and long skilling etc.

thats why I will probably not join any private servers anytime soon, but I have fun creating maps for it and test them with a local server :) and continue playing on WO...

I had too many times loosing stuff on private server because people either just neglected server maintenance or because they suddenly vanished or because someone didnt want to pay for the server anymore...or they start to be restrictive in a way I don't like etc.

playing on a private server has always this kind of risk, no matter the game, it just seems more harsh with wurm, since it's so heavily relying on community and long play times and long skilling etc.

thats why I will probably not join any private servers anytime soon, but I have fun creating maps for it and test them with a local server :) and continue playing on WO...

I had too many times loosing stuff on private server because people either just neglected server maintenance or because they suddenly vanished or because someone didnt want to pay for the server anymore...or they start to be restrictive in a way I don't like etc.

very well said...exactly.

Now if they had an option on a game like this to backup/copy the database to your players then it wouldn't be a big deal but regardless there is a huge difference between loosing 6 months of work and getting disconnected during an FPS session

You know.. for the cost of an average deed and premium on WO you can rent your own server right?

I'll be doing that, just stuck on the truly difficult part:

now that just gave me an idea. I might do that it would be better than making my personal gaming machine a single player server with the way they have designed it

That's why you have several drives......esp as a gamer...how you lost all that water cooled exploded?  have yet to see a computer lose 2 drives just because it crashed,

I think its more like this

Risk of Steam going down and you loosing all your work: low

Risk of your machine crashing and you not having backup: medium

Risk of some random guy who got excited about WU pulling up a server and then taking it down 3 months later when something more exciting comes around: high

and this thread...you forgot one need to go back down......you know you want too................

Edited by Uberknot

and this thread...you forgot one need to go back down......you know you want too................

you are one of the most rude people I have ever encountered on a forum.

not the worst, but close

and you are the biggest troll these forums have seen in awhile... everyone sees what you are doing  just look at your posting history.

• Like 2

That really sucks, man. Very sorry to hear that happened. 

I would like to formally invite you to my server - Taking Without Consent Dedicated 24/7 

I have established a website as well as a forum! I won't be shutting the server down. My wife and I are the GM's of the server and we've loved Wurm for YEARS! 

You can check the site out (granted, it's bare-bones at this point, but it will be updated regularly): http://takingwithoutconsent.com - and don't forget to check out the forum: http://takingwithoutconsent.com/forum .

We currently have 5 members that seem very long-term, and we're all putting in a hand to create a hub city - TWOC City. It is centralized and will house traders, merchant shops (from other players), and basically anything else you need. 

Currently deeding is free, but once we get the city up'n'running, and an economy is burgeoning, we will implement upkeep and deed cost. But don't worry, you'll be able to earn plenty enough to maintain a nice-sized deed!

Hope to see you very soon!!

Edited by Necromateur

and you are the biggest troll these forums have seen in awhile... everyone sees what you are doing  just look at your posting history.

PLEASE look at my post history. 

In fact PLEASE read it all multiple times that would help you and others understand

That really sucks, man. Very sorry to hear that happened. 

I would like to formally invite you to my server - Taking Without Consent Dedicated 24/7 

I have established a website as well as a forum! I won't be shutting the server down. My wife and I are the GM's of the server and we've loved Wurm for YEARS! 

You can check the site out (granted, it's bare-bones at this point, but it will be updated regularly): http://takingwithoutconsent.com - and don't forget to check out the forum: http://takingwithoutconsent.com/forum .

We currently have 5 members that seem very long-term, and we're all putting in a hand to create a hub city - TWOC City. It is centralized and will house traders, merchant shops (from other players), and basically anything else you need. 

Currently deeding is free, but once we get the city up'n'running, and an economy is burgeoning, we will implement upkeep and deed cost. But don't worry, you'll be able to earn plenty enough to maintain a nice-sized deed!

Hope to see you very soon!!

thanks but its not what I am looking for.

I played the Online version for about 2 years, if I wanted a community and an online experience I would play the online version.

I also do not have the confidence that a fix that is suggested by a community of players is going to fix that issue and possible other issues that might occur 6 months down the line in which I would lose all my play time work.

What I would LIKE to see happen but I can tell now that its not, that the community come to and agreement and perhaps ask as a collective that the Wurm Launcher be made simplier. pending that change I am not playing this game because I need a high level of confidence (like I do in my other single/multiplayer games) that I will not get hacked or loose all my playtime work.

I do not understand why this is hard for so many here to understand. The only reason I can think of is that many here dont play other games so they are not aware of how there are tons of games out there that make switching from single player to multiplayer experience extreemly easy

Edited by Tux

thanks but its not what I am looking for.

I played the Online version for about 2 years, if I wanted a community and an online experience I would play the online version.

I also do not have the confidence that a fix that is suggested by a community of players is going to fix that issue and possible other issues that might occur 6 months down the line in which I would lose all my play time work.

What I would LIKE to see happen but I can tell now that its not, that the community come to and agreement and perhaps ask as a collective that the Wurm Launcher be made simplier. pending that change I am not playing this game because I need a high level of confidence (like I do in my other single/multiplayer games) that I will not get hacked or loose all my playtime work.

I do not understand why this is hard for so many here to understand. The only reason I can think of is that many here dont play other games so they are not aware of how there are tons of games out there that make switching from single player to multiplayer experience extreemly easy

I guess I don't understand what it is you're wanting from the devs with regard to a simpler launcher. It seems very simple to me, but I agree it could use some updates! 

"that make switching from single player to multiplayer . . . " - are you referring to a way to bring your character from one server to the next? I think I could get behind something like that, but they should make it where the skills are lowered, based on previous work, based on the skill gains of the other server being switched to. 

But I really don't quite understand what it is you're asking as a whole. I think (and call me a fanboi if you'd like. lol) that the setup is decent enough, but I would definitely suggest a few changes. 

I guess I don't understand what it is you're wanting from the devs with regard to a simpler launcher. It seems very simple to me, but I agree it could use some updates! 

"that make switching from single player to multiplayer . . . " - are you referring to a way to bring your character from one server to the next? I think I could get behind something like that, but they should make it where the skills are lowered, based on previous work, based on the skill gains of the other server being switched to. 

But I really don't quite understand what it is you're asking as a whole. I think (and call me a fanboi if you'd like. lol) that the setup is decent enough, but I would definitely suggest a few changes. 

please read very carefully

Most of my games in Steam have a single player and a multiplayer option.

this is the ONLY one in which I have to put in an IP address to play a single player game

Given that currently I came home one day having made ZERO CHANGES THE DAY PRIOR, the game suddenly no longer would load and now the launcher doesnt even load at all.

please believe me when I tell you that the vast majority of the good Early Access games and full release games that have a single player component do not have this issue AND they do not make it as such that someoene who is not completely clear on what they are doing can not screw something up.

Why is it unreasonable to ask for that?

Here is a story that might help you understand

A leaky valve in an RV was to be replaced. The common mans understanding is that one could go to the hardware store and buy a valve and it should work. If you asked a community of RVers they would most likely say 'yeah makes sense...simple' only problem is in motion those valves break which is why they make RV specfic valves.

Point? I might be able to get the thing working with the help of some amatures but where it my level of confidence that 6 months later I will not loose all my play time work becusae I accidently exposed myself to the entire internet? just because the paint is on the door and looks nice doesnt mean its going to stay there.. depends on the proper paint

Edited by Tux

I'd highly recommend looking to join a server with an owner that has been around Wurm for a long time and has been active on the forums for a long time. They are the ones most likley to stay and or give there server files to someone else if they decide to stop hosting.

• Like 1

I think its more like this

Risk of Steam going down and you loosing all your work: low

Risk of your machine crashing and you not having backup: medium

Risk of some random guy who got excited about WU pulling up a server and then taking it down 3 months later when something more exciting comes around: high

This is pretty accurate :)

It was also accurate and reasonably obvious PRIOR to joining any server on Wurm Unlimited, so i do not see why people are surprised when one goes down.

Though i do feel for the guy that lost what he built, it is not something you should be surprised at, if i joined Wyvern and gave that a go i would still not trust in it being around for a huge amount of time just because it has many players. If i joined one of the servers i would do so with the expectation that i CAN loose everything and i would not join one unless i was willing to live with that.

And that is why i am currently on a single player dedicated server of my own :) At some point in time i may determine that a server(s) is up long enough that i will give it a go :)

This is pretty accurate :)

It was also accurate and reasonably obvious PRIOR to joining any server on Wurm Unlimited, so i do not see why people are surprised when one goes down.

Though i do feel for the guy that lost what he built, it is not something you should be surprised at, if i joined Wyvern and gave that a go i would still not trust in it being around for a huge amount of time just because it has many players. If i joined one of the servers i would do so with the expectation that i CAN loose everything and i would not join one unless i was willing to live with that.

And that is why i am currently on a single player dedicated server of my own :) At some point in time i may determine that a server(s) is up long enough that i will give it a go :)

Yes I agree nobody should be surprised however I also think given the fact that projects in Wurm can take upwards to a year of real life playing that the ability to easily export the database from  a server you are on is a reasonable ask more so than excepting such features from a COD server in which game 'projects' take about 10 mins.

With that said, given my personal experience I would say unless you know networking you are also putting yourself at high risk with a single player experience. More over do not do a clean wipe without backuping all that needs to be backed up and be ready for something to not work because my world on reset was not correct