Sign in to follow this  
Rudie

Mining in Wurm Unlimited

Is anyone else having issues with gaining mining skill extremely slow? Server settings are 3.5x skillgain and 2.5x timers.

Skills seem to be done by actions rather than timers from what i've seen thus far. Plus mining seems to be the hardest skill to gain, being the exact opposite from woodcutting.

I've tried higher ql pickaxes right up to 90ql, I gained the same amount with each pickaxe I tried and gained.13 per 5 mines at 13 right up to 17 mining skill

Mine ceilings. If you can, cast WoA and CoC. Don't use low ql pickaxes, it doesn't help.

QL doesn't matter, I'm gaining the same skill with a 1ql and a 99ql, albeit a bit faster.

Edited by Rudie

QL doesn't matter, I'm gaining the same skill with a 1ql and a 99ql, albeit a bit faster.

As i said it's based on the number of actions in Wu the more actions you do the more skill you get. Botd would be best and higher ql.

How about leveling/flattening ceiling with 8+ min timers, if I have a 99 ql pickaxe I will reduce the timer for leveling the ceiling but will i get the ticks faster too then? I dunno how these leveling timers work and what formula they have for skill ticks?

(late response hope someone notices) 

On 10/18/2018 at 5:53 AM, Nocturnes said:

How about leveling/flattening ceiling with 8+ min timers, if I have a 99 ql pickaxe I will reduce the timer for leveling the ceiling but will i get the ticks faster too then? I dunno how these leveling timers work and what formula they have for skill ticks?

(late response hope someone notices) 

It's usually much faster to just stand under a ceiling and mine each corner individually, than to choose level.  Leveling can be very slow.

Mining is hard-coded to be harder to raise than other skills. The typical skill with no dependencies (for instance, paving or butchering) has a difficulty of 4000. The easiest skills without dependency are about 2000. Mining is the hardest of all skills without dependencies, at 8000. While this difficulty comparison doesn't really work for skills where they govern loads of different actions (e.g carpentry vs blacksmithing), it does work for skills where there's only one kind of action. Of all the skills without any dependencies, mining can be expected to have the slowest skillgain.

See this post: