Sign in to follow this  
KunAlt

Another take on animal voices.

I know in the past the animal sounds where removed because some people complained about "ear shattering sounds" and such.

But maybe there is a chance to give voices to animals making that an option in the settings same like other environmental sounds, like a check box to enable it and a slider with 3 levels, akin to how tile decoration works maybe?

Inspired by Malena's video:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcwCs1qCZdY

• Like 4

I am hoping for a WU mod, maybe from someone with an old WO install to rip the old files and it will just work?

I am hoping for a WU mod, maybe from someone with an old WO install to rip the old files and it will just work?

Well as nice as a WU mod can be, I want this for WO.

As for WU mod I don't think ripping old files is needed at all, I'm pretty confident that anyone searching for royalty free animal sounds in google will come with hundreds if not thousand of usable sounds for any real or imaginary creature out there.

Given the feedback was given at the time in WO that the solution was a sound slider so those who took offense at barnyards could not have to listen to them, are you under some disillusion that Rolf will now listen to the silent majority that wanted them left in rather than the vocal minority that always tells him what to do?

Lip syncing sounds to the existing vocal animations designed with the prior sounds is the hard part, which is why I am hoping somebody has them.  Presumably they fixed the noise by deleting the files and the playback code associating animal sounds is still there.

Edited by yarnevk

I don't see the problem with just having an "animal idle sounds" checkbox. I mean, why not? As long as the sounds aren't egregiously loud or obnoxious, and aren't playing constantly, there might as well be an option to play them.

Oh gods the mooing. It was terrible. Everyone begged Rolf and co to remove it.

The only way I could see this added if a proper 3d sound system was added first. That way everything doesn't sound like its right next to you and you hear cows mooing in your ear all the time if you have them.

Edited by ArowhunTheOld

Oh gods the mooing. It was terrible. Everyone begged Rolf and co to remove it.

The only way I could see this added if a proper 3d sound system was added first. That way everything doesn't sound like its right next to you and you hear cows mooing in your ear all the time if you have them.

They were 2D sounds? I take back what I said about wanting them :P

+1

I'd like to see the option, as long as it has it's own volume slider.

And while they're at it, I would dearly love to see combat sounds get it's own volume slider.  I'm tired of having combat sounds blast my eardrums if I have the volume up high enough to hear the ambient sounds.

• Like 1

Sound system IS 3D

https://www.openal.org/

You can hear directional sound of people workshopping in local and find them just by sound location just as well as real life presuming you have a calibrated surround system..  When you rake your farm they randomly place the rake in a circle around you (ignoring the animation is raking in front of you)

The problem is the sound propagation with distance and source level calibrations are grossly wrong, and ignorantly used even if they just did manhattan distance and shortcut thru hills and trees it is still wrong.  Adding the level sliders is the workaround for that, even if the OpenAL usage was modded to be proper, the barnyard haters will still want the sliders.

Edited by yarnevk

Nice to see others also feel strongly about this. And as has been discussed before, I'm hoping that it wouldn't be too hard to make it so that sounds are played in a practical and non irritable way. For instance:

Regardless of whether there is a herd of 50 cows or 1 cow, the frequency and amount of mooing would be the same. As long as there at least 1 cow in the viscinity, a mooing sound can be heard once in a while. Say once every 15 - 30 minutes. Doesn't have to be very often, just enough to enhance the atmosphere. And perhaps it could also play upon approaching a cow within a 5 tile radius. However it would not play another sound again until 15 minutes had passed. So if you were to walk forward, back, forward, back it would not go moo moo moo with every forward. 

Something like that. Surely that would not be too irritating?

Edited by Malena
  • Like 1

+1

I'm so tired of people trying to ruin the game for everyone because they are too lazy to turn down the volume or they leave their brightness at 100% and complain about snow etc etc

There needs to be WAY more animals sounds in general. It really takes all the immersion out of the game with dead-quiet animals everywhere.

Sometimes I brand my horses over and over again, just to get them to talk.  And just so I can feel alive again....

Uhhhh, is that weird?  Anyway moving on...

35 minutes ago, Proximo said:

Sometimes I brand my horses over and over again, just to get them to talk.  And just so I can feel alive again....

Uhhhh, is that weird?  Anyway moving on...

Not weird at all Prox. I know exactly what you mean! It's just unfortunate that it has to be the process of hurting a horse. I would so love it that upon a successful act of grooming, the horse would do it's little Prrrrh sound through it's nostrils. How satisfying that would feel!

• Like 1