Sign in to follow this  
Arkonick

Procedure to add models into wurm from max/maya

Long time ago I was told how to do this by Vox but it's been a long while ago. So I'm hopping I can get another refresh on how to bring a model from max into wurm.

Only thing I can rem is something about freezing then exporting and using plugin fbx converter to turn to Callada format. I've done this but my models are invisible. The model is there cause the bounding box is there but where the wall should be is invisible.

Could Saromon or Vox please explain this one more time for everyone now we have the ability to mod Wurm Unlimited.

In other engines this is simple to do so simple it's drag and drop set textures and collider and you are done but in Java I'm confused.

Edited by Arkonick

Might seem like something silly to check, but which way are your normals facing?

the problem with all your own changes in the eg graphic.jar is atm useless :/

with each new official update on this jar-file, you will lost all of your hard work

I've been playing with this too and have the same issue on some imports.

Unity asset .fbx mesh files seem to work best when run through Autodesk FBX Converter x64 2013.

I open the texture material in Gimp and repair the alpha with a mask and export to .png

after which I edit the .dae file and fix the texture path to relative, then override a model in the client .jar (just to test)

This is cumbersome but the Collada export in blender hasn't been working for me, most likely 

due to my inexperience. The crux appears to be ASCII vs. Binary formatting.

In a perfect world this will be handled with a mod manager or some such in the future.

Meanwhile it's fun to play with and a higher frequency model with a 2048x2048 texture is pretty hot.

I've been digging through the .dae file corresponding the models that work with those that don't to see 

the differences and figure out what the exporters are missing or mangling from Wurms perspective.

As for the changes to the .jar being overwritten, that is true, but I figure it's not a big deal to just keep a custom .jar with my changes in an archive and

just reapply them if needed.

If anyone has more info on this please send it up or if there is a project or thread I missed on custom models.

I am having trouble getting the .DAE files to load into maya.  it looks like a mess lol.  I open it up and I can see the object but it looks like a whole bunch of purple wirelines around it and I'm not sure how to fix it.  I messed around with the normal and nothing changed unfortunately.  Any other ideas?  I also cannot get blender to work.  I can click import but it does nothing, at least maya loads something lol.  Thank ahead of time!

I have no issues but of course I use 3dsmax. Maya shouldn't have a issue either there similar in alot of ways only difference is max is made to do alot more specially CGI and etc...

What you can do is down load the stand alone comverter for maya you will need this any ways to get the model back in the correct dae form to use in WU. 

Try to convert the dae using the converter to a maya FBX format. Then import it into maya when done export back out using FBX and use the converter to change it back to a dae collada.

look for your converter here http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775920