Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Me, Myself, and I

7413623656_61d8108393_n.jpg

There was a workaround, apparently ok by Wurm developers, where people could create and run multiple characters on their own standalone server. But I guess a recent Steam update decided that was an "exploit" and "fixed" it.   Since the Wurm game developers seem ok with the general concept, and the only trick is "how to do it through Steam," I thought it might be worthwhile looking at how other sandboxy games have handled the person who wants to "play alone but also as multiple characters". 

Some will protest "but you don't need this. Just join a multiplayer server and be social, for gods sake! Why do you even play games if you are not going to play them the accepted way? It's people like you that ruin everything!"

I like mostly playing as a single character but sometimes I like having a few "roleplay characters" around. One who tends the fields while another works at the smith. They even have imaginary dialogues in my head.   I just like doing it, I am not sure why.   I am not trying to get an unfair advantage since I am playing by myself with no GM powers or mods and the skill/timer gains are fairly conservative (3X/3X)   Anyway, I tried finding the "Suggestions" forums but it moved or something. Maybe a moderator who knows where it went, can move thi spost there for me. This is not really a "modding" request simply because it might require more than a mod can do. It might be a game engine thingy.

There are many games  that allow you to run either a single player or as a team controlled all by you. There are games  that allow you to have a "family" or to hire henchmen and even to design their appearance and stats and place them in the world. You could have a main character then "henchmen" but also have fully control over the henchmen, using a "party menu" to switch focus back and forth between characters.  Is it really so impossible to do what other games have managed to do before? Clearly it is way over my abilities so it is not a complaint but just ... maybe just maybe someone could figure a way?

I just want to play MY way. With my imaginary friends, that no one else can see or talk to except me. Not have people complain how MY WAY is a bad evil lazy dishonest antisocial counterproductive criminal way that should be punished, mocked and banned.

Some days my mind is jumping all over and being able to control several characters at once, gives it a way to focus into controlled patterns and routines. Finding a rhythm becomes a soothing routine and process. Other days, I cannot multitask worth beans and I just want a single character to lollygag around on and explore.

Yes I want it all :P  I want this game to become my Perfect Dream Wonder Game and no other game ever tempts me away again. Ever. 

Is it impossible?

Can I have my imaginary friends back?

They whisper that they miss me .... 

5e25de48b03a31776b7d39ddccf75593.jpg

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 10

It's not impossible, just a lot of work. It would be a nice feature but I don't think it's something we'll see soon.

Brash,

Were you using my guide that was posted here? If so, when trying to use it are you also getting a message that says something along the lines of "that IP is already being used."? If so, I'll be working another another way to get multi-client working, probably faster than the devs would be able to release an official way to do so. I haven't personally updated my Steam yet, so that's why I'm asking what specifically is preventing you from running multi-client now.

Official way would be nicer if it is possible. I understand it is a long slow process, but so was developing Wurm Unlimited (I have been asking for a version like this since my Pocket worlds aka "Wurmholes" suggestion thread many years ago. So I understand that even if they REALLY like the idea,  they are not going to drop everything and have this patched in next week.  Or next month, Or even next year. but maybe .. I can dream .. some day.

Everytime I force-closed STEAM in taskmanager, I would also get a new steamerrorreport process pop up trying to figure what the heck I was trying to do anyway. And then at one stage STEAM sent me a popup asking me to prove who I was and login with my password (which I had to go and look up).  I am happy they want my account to be safe however I suspect they are jumpy and suspicious at all the little hoops I am jumping through to make it work. Apparently just having the Wurm developers say they have no issue with it, may not be enough.

You might find a workaround and then STEAM might "fix the exploit" again, and round and round we go and meantime I have to worry if I am breaking some EULA clause that I can't even find, and one day I try to log in. And can't.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

The 'Steam Subscriber Agreement' can be found here. I've read through the entirety of the 'subscriber agreement' and there is nothing in there that prohibits you from running multiple copies of a game that you've purchased, "Content and Services†as the Steam subscriber agreement refers to them as.

I've updated to the latest version of Steam, even gone as far as completely uninstalling and reinstalling Steam have had no issues with continuing to run multiple copies of Wurm Unlimited. The reason that the steamerrorreport came up for you is because Steam must've detected the game crashed or closed in an unusual way (usually happens when forced closed after the application locks up). It was trying to gather details to find out why it closed, in case there was a bug int he software.

So far there is no fix that was released by Steam, or Code Club AB, to prevent launching Multiple clients via the method the I posted here. I can ensure you by using my aforementioned method you will not have your particular account or any particular "subscription" either 'canceled' or 'terminated' by Valve. If you're unsure about any particular clause within the 'Steam Subscriber Agreement', feel free to ask me about it.

Edit: Corrected leaving out a word

Edited by Drakeling

You left out a word :P

"You will (!NOT!) have your account cancelled"

But I knew what you meant

Thanks for pointing that out! I've updated that threat to correct my blunder.

Great OP Brash! I like to play with my imaginary friends too, since I always find them much more agreeable than the current state of reality. Yes, since WU is a much more adaptable simulation of WO there surely should be a way to accomplish what you suggest to be enabled by those who created WU. Hopefully they will soon find it a worthwhile task to accomplish.

Safe Travels

=Ayes=

• Like 1

it was just a little word :P

Such power in a little word.  ;)

I think almost everyone would like to run multiple characters just like on WO without jumping through hoops. Even playing with friends on a server there have been many times I wanted someone else around to balance the work load. 

Homer, Rapidron, & Jakesully my best friends.  I understand those little words.  Before I got hearing aids, crow snow same thing.  My best was telling my wife I heard Marshall Tucker was coming to town.  When she did not find them, she did inform me that Monster Truckers were coming to town.

Just let us know when the voices start telling you to do things to us. ;)

I like to play with my 4 girls also, but i still can play fine. 

I bought the game for my 4 chars and play fine on 1 computer.