Sign in to follow this  
Eitr

Map Generator 2.9 [supports Wurm 1.4]

What do you mean? Seems to be working for me. Water wasn't touched on the last release.

I did notice one thing about water depth, not sure if I changed water height or something when I set up the map so not blaming the code.

Sharks look like tiny little trout or perch now when rowing above them in a boat. If I GM summon them they appear on the surface where they look like normal and all is fine.

I am wondering if I am going to see the sharks all die in a few days/weeks, like happened on Freedom months ago, because the water depth is deeper now?

Again, no idea what caused it, just an observation and a potential worry.

~Nappy

I did notice one thing about water depth, not sure if I changed water height or something when I set up the map so not blaming the code.

Sharks look like tiny little trout or perch now when rowing above them in a boat. If I GM summon them they appear on the surface where they look like normal and all is fine.

I am wondering if I am going to see the sharks all die in a few days/weeks, like happened on Freedom months ago, because the water depth is deeper now?

Again, no idea what caused it, just an observation and a potential worry.

Interesting. Do we know what the Freedom server water height actually is? It'd be nice to know if map water height actually effects the game world.

The river addition is fantastic!  Try using a negative number for river depth  :).   I was able to create some pretty cool plateau's and level mountain ridges that could be used for roads.  Perfect for setting up some flat areas for building (or what ever)

• Like 1

The river addition is fantastic!  Try using a negative number for river depth  :).   I was able to create some pretty cool plateau's and level mountain ridges that could be used for roads.  Perfect for setting up some flat areas for building (or what ever)

This only works for lowering the terrain, but I like your thinking.  ;)

Having as much playing with this app as playing the actual game  :)   Thank you much Eitr!

Was messing around with raising water level, making rivers, then dropping water level back down.  Wound up with dry river bed looking things and occasional craters  ^_^  So many options and possibilities!

xdc5ACf.jpg

Having as much playing with this app as playing the actual game  :)   Thank you much Eitr!

Was messing around with raising water level, making rivers, then dropping water level back down.  Wound up with dry river bed looking things and occasional craters  ^_^  So many options and possibilities!

Looks cool. It reminds me of those drawn maps you see at amusement parks.

This is what I did with v2.6 and these gen variables:  HEIGHTMAP:1446698831207,0,350,10,64,2,3096,20,false

hGzjFR0.png

Nice now for some in game screen shots running :)

This only works for lowering the terrain, but I like your thinking

Yes it does lower the terrain.  which in turn you can flatten any area above water level.  Say your mountains are 1500m high  and your water level is 500   and  you want a plateau at 1000m   if you set the river depth at -500   and paint a river across your mountain top   it will lower it to 1000.   Now do this around a high mountain and it will create a flat road around your mountain.  Different - slope values do some pretty wild things as well.   I can post a screen shot if I am not making any sense.

• Like 1

I wish generating a 16384 map was a bit faster, hell I wish there was an option screen where I could put in how much the program can use my 16 GB of memory, and utilized my Intel Core I7 5820K processor to increase the speed dramatically.

I wish generating a 16384 map was a bit faster, hell I wish there was an option screen where I could put in how much the program can use my 16 GB of memory, and utilized my Intel Core I7 5820K processor to increase the speed dramatically.

Are you setting your java memory options when you start the generator?  If not, that might help.  

I always drop wgenerator.jar in the root of my c: drive, then open a command prompt and type:

cd\   

java -Xmx16g -jar wgenerator.jar

That will let wgenerator use up to 16 GB of memory.  You can set the value to anything you like (replace g for m to specify memory size in megavytes), just know that if you exceed the amount of memory available to your system it's going to hit page file and that's going to be slow.  

when you click save images, or save actions ect it breaks the map untill you hit save map files as the last thing u do

Yes it does lower the terrain.  which in turn you can flatten any area above water level.  Say your mountains are 1500m high  and your water level is 500   and  you want a plateau at 1000m   if you set the river depth at -500   and paint a river across your mountain top   it will lower it to 1000.   Now do this around a high mountain and it will create a flat road around your mountain.  Different - slope values do some pretty wild things as well.   I can post a screen shot if I am not making any sense.

I hadn't even thought of using the tool that way, but I do love plateaus and wanted to find a way of generating them. Thanks so much for the tip! Now I can make my tundra and desert plateaus actually flat!

So, I'm not sure what I am doing wrong with the generator, but no matter what I do or what map I generate I always find myself hitting solid rock after one or two digs...What am I doing wrong? <_<

So, I'm not sure what I am doing wrong with the generator, but no matter what I do or what map I generate I always find myself hitting solid rock after one or two digs...What am I doing wrong? <_<

sounds like you need to add in more dirt its in the "dirt/water" tab and you need to increase the "dirt per tile" setting 

I can't find any resources when I forage or botanize (grass or trees) on a custom map I made with Wgenerator 2.6. Any Ideas?

Ad "wurmonline" libraries etc.: Right click "Libraries" in your project tree (NetBeans) and "Add Library...", click "Create", change name for something like "wurmies" ;), click "Add Jar/Folder..." and navigate to any common.jar in your WU folder (SteamLibrary).

Ad Eclipse in the project: For Java NetBeans users: You don't need to install all Eclipse. You just need this class:

package org.eclipse.wb.swing;

import java.awt.Component;
import java.awt.Container;
import java.awt.FocusTraversalPolicy;

public class FocusTraversalOnArray extends FocusTraversalPolicy {
   private final Component m_Components[];

public FocusTraversalOnArray(Component components[]) {
      m_Components = components;
   }

private int indexCycle(int index, int delta) {
      int size = m_Components.length;
      int next = (index + delta + size) % size;
      return next;
   }

private Component cycle(Component currentComponent, int delta) {
      int index = -1;
      loop : for (int i = 0; i < m_Components.length; i++) {
         Component component = m_Components[i];
         for (Component c = currentComponent; c != null; c = c.getParent()) {
            if (component == c) {
               index = i;
               break loop;
            }
         }
      }

// try to find enabled component in "delta" direction
      int initialIndex = index;
      while (true) {
         int newIndex = indexCycle(index, delta);
         if (newIndex == initialIndex) {
            break;
         }
         index = newIndex;

Component component = m_Components[newIndex];
         if (component.isEnabled() && component.isVisible() && component.isFocusable()) {
            return component;
         }
      }
      // not found
      return currentComponent;
   }

public Component getComponentAfter(Container container, Component component) {
      return cycle(component, 1);
   }

public Component getComponentBefore(Container container, Component component) {
      return cycle(component, -1);
   }

public Component getFirstComponent(Container container) {
      return m_Components[0];
   }

public Component getLastComponent(Container container) {
      return m_Components[m_Components.length - 1];
   }

public Component getDefaultComponent(Container container) {
      return getFirstComponent(container);
   }
}

After saving (all files) and closing Map Generator v2.6, I am finding that when i come back later and load actions, all my rivers are gone.  The map png and topo files in the corresponding folder show the rivers.  Am i doing something wrong?

Also, if the reply above is in response to the gentleman pointing out that foraging and botanizing are not working on Map Generator maps, im in trouble.  No way my non-programming brain will ever figure that out.  Is there a 'fix' planned to make foraging and botanizing work?

The effort that folks are putting into Map Generator is very much appreciated.  Feels like Im playing my own game  :D

After saving (all files) and closing Map Generator v2.6, I am finding that when i come back later and load actions, all my rivers are gone.  The map png and topo files in the corresponding folder show the rivers.  Am i doing something wrong?

Also, if the reply above is in response to the gentleman pointing out that foraging and botanizing are not working on Map Generator maps, im in trouble.  No way my non-programming brain will ever figure that out.  Is there a 'fix' planned to make foraging and botanizing work?

The effort that folks are putting into Map Generator is very much appreciated.  Feels like Im playing my own game  :D

I can't find any resources when I forage or botanize (grass or trees) on a custom map I made with Wgenerator 2.6. Any Ideas?

It takes some time for things to grow in the grass tiles before you can forage and botanize them. I'm playing on custom maps, and the first couple of days they were up everything was essentially picked clean, but I find lots of stuff now.

im trying different things but i still have issues in loading maps with rivers.  Most of the time the rivers wont load.  Dropping dirt after loading actions isnt working for me. 

Rivers aren't saved in actions. It directly edits the heightmap, so once you have the rivers you like you should export the heightmap. If you want to use it with actions, restart the program afterward and then load the saved heightmap. That way the action history includes loading the heightmap with rivers included.

did you check if its visible on the heightmap? (black and white one) because I noticed that I quite often needed to redo the dropping dirt for rivers to become visible, don't know why that is. But they are usually there, the map just isn't updated.

This is why I added the "auto drop dirt" checkbox. Rivers are generated on the heightmap, so to actually see a difference the dirt needs to be re-dropped based on the new heightmap.

Thank you for the information.  Will try another map and see how i go.