Sign in to follow this  
Eitr

Map Generator 2.9 [supports Wurm 1.4]

4 hours ago, Polosc61 said:

Using the 64

I couldn't use this when I first got it, and I got some error message that might (?) be the same one.

Just in case it's the same issue, mine was resolved by making sure that I kept the WGenerator.jar on my desktop and not inside any folders.

As soon as I changed that, it worked.  I hope this is the same problem for you, with such an easy fix!

Hello everybody,
First thank you for this incredible tools for generate maps ! I want back to Wurm Online after somes years but, I have discover this Wurm Unlimited and decide with some friends to create our map/world.
Sorry if my English is bad, I’m French. After many test I arrive to generate a lovely map, I’m try now to add Ores and biomes in a “raisonable” proportion, but…
Can I ask to you your opinion on a “good” proportion, my objective is to recover a similar experience of my past on Wurm online, map Exodus (with a littel more fast skill augmentation, I think 10 coefficient ?).
For Ore I set :

Iron 1.8
Gold 0.07
Silver 0.12
Zinc 0.15
Copper 0.4
Lead 0.2
Tin 0.2
Marble 0.05
Slate 0.05
Sandstone 0.2
Rocksalt 0.2
Adamantine and Glimmer 0.01 (What’s that? I don’t remember it in Exodus)
Rock 96.54

What do you think about that ?

For other proportion (Clay, dirt, Gravel, Tree…) have you some example ? I can’t remember what kind of tree is the most frequently, camelia grappe lavender. *sigh*, the task is not easy to play at god ? !

Thank you in advance.

I set everything to 0.2 except

iron 1.2, gold 0.1, copper 0.3, Adamantine and Glimmer 0.0

Birch, Cedar and a few oak/willow are the only trees that I have

Thanks for your answer.

Now, I have little problems with a map...

1550866573-wurm-20190221-2324.png

There is a "hump effect", I can reduce it via the options to erode, but it is always present. Is there a way to avoid that? Should we use the normalize ratio or play on the resolution of the heightmap?

Edited by Muffinman

Hello ! I bring a solution to my problem, on all map that I generated I had this problem of "bumps" / "waves" of dirt. To solve this I use this strange method: I generate a map (heighmap + dirt) / I export the heighmap. I close the tool, I start a new map and I load on the heighmap of the previous one. I generate the dirts ... The bumps disapear. I then erode classically and so on.

2 hours ago, Muffinman said:

Hello ! I bring a solution to my problem, on all map that I generated I had this problem of "bumps" / "waves" of dirt. To solve this I use this strange method: I generate a map (heighmap + dirt) / I export the heighmap. I close the tool, I start a new map and I load on the heighmap of the previous one. I generate the dirts ... The bumps disapear. I then erode classically and so on.

Interesting fix!  I will try this.

At the moment I do not really understand why this way works. I have the feeling that the exportation of the heighmap can be reduce the quality of the picture used... When imported to the next stage the details may be more "smoothed" and give less "dirt waves", or it is the import function which is less precise and allows to have a result more "natural" in my eyes.

Edited by Muffinman

I'm trying to generate a 8k map with this tool using a .act file, but every time I try to, after it's done running all the steps in the .act file, the .map files don't work.

- Launch the .jar (with -Xmx4G) and go to Actions/Export

- Load Actions file, browse to and select the .act file

- Wait an hour or two for it to run all the steps

- Click Save Map Files

The map files *seem* to be generated:

attach1.png

But then trying to view them in MapViewer, it's just a blank black image:

attach2.png

And if I try to run a server using the map files it generates, it gets hung on "Generating Wurm IDs" and never actually finishes loading. (According to https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132832-unable-to-start-server-with-custom-maps/&tab=comments#comment-1364813 it's due to the map files being corrupt/not being generated.)

I even went so far as to let the generator run for an extra 36 hours after clicking Save Map Files, just to be sure I gave it enough time and didn't jump the gun.

I can say I've thus far generated two other 4k maps that have not had this issue. I'm stumped and have no idea what to try next.

I am not an expert but in this kind of case I browse or excecute "step by step" the .act.

To do this I divide the file into several .act files by checking that each step works and I load them one after the other (An .act file for the heightmap, one for the dirt generation, one for the erode functions and one with the biome).

It can also save a functional map at each stage.

You can also try to do only heightmap + dirt and start a server to see if this first step is already working.

With this method I also have .act "types" files for eroding for example.

Finally it is possible for you to show us the contents of the .act file? Sometimes we do the same steps on the generetao several times and it keeps several codes lines that can be removed to avoid bugs.

Edited by Muffinman

Thanks for the suggestions Muffinman. I'm separating the action files now; I will try starting a server with the bare minimum heightmap/dirt, and step-by-step observation of the action files and see how it goes.

If that fails I'll upload the file and see if you/anyone can help.

I went through the actions file line by line and split every line into a separate file. At the end, I tried starting a server using its map files, with no mods installed (pure vanilla) and attempted to launch it, same issue.

So I tried to keep things as incrementally simple as possible. I stopped using the actions file completely, and ran the first few steps manually.

- Set the map size to 8192 and imported the heightmap (heightmap.png)

- Eroded the heightmap using the following settings: 60 iterations, 30 min slope, 300 max slope, 175 sediment per tile

- Dropped dirt with the following settings: Biome seed 1549503392560, dirt per tile 40, max dirt slope 40, max diagonal slope 56, max dirt height 3600, water height 500, cliff ratio 2.5, no landslide, random seed unchecked

- Once the drop dirt finished, performed absolutely no other actions. Went straight to Actions / Export and clicked Save Map Files

- Opened the directory they saved to, copied all those files and installed them onto a server

--- (which I'll outline how I did too for the heck of it) Made a copy of "Creative" (vanilla setup), pasted the .map files over it, went into the sqlite directory and executed rebuild-dbs.bat

- Attempted to launch the server

Sat there for roughly 30 minutes, on a modless server (no ago1024 loader installed/patched at all) it seemed to stop at "Loading servers" and never did anything else.

I'm attaching the heightmap.png (warning, it's huge, about 110 MB) file for the hell of it. Maybe someone can spot something I just don't know to look for because I can't figure this out.

Spoiler

heightmap.png

Edited by Ignacius

It's really a ... Very big map :), at my work we have a very very fast connection and I have 30 minutes of download for the picture haha.

I will try on my side but I have never made a map as big. Do you really need a map of this size? It should be the opinion of other members because I am not expert: for my part I prefer to make more modest maps and use the system of the neighboring servers, in case of futur problems I found it more safe .

Currently I play with 5 friends on a map at 2048 and we already find it big.

In the past I played to the Exodus server on WO and I remembered that traveling the world was already taking a lot of time.

Edited by Muffinman

On my side I can not generate any soil on the height map, I get the following error:

Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
	at net.buddat.wgenerator.TileMap.<init>(TileMap.java:44)
	at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.actionDropDirt(MainWindow.java:1790)
	at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow$36$1.run(MainWindow.java:1522)

3 hours ago, Muffinman said:

It's really a ... Very big map :), at my work we have a very very fast connection and I have 30 minutes of download for the picture haha.

I will try on my side but I have never made a map as big. Do you really need a map of this size? It should be the opinion of other members because I am not expert: for my part I prefer to make more modest maps and use the system of the neighboring servers, in case of futur problems I found it more safe .

Currently I play with 5 friends on a map at 2048 and we already find it big.

In the past I played to the Exodus server on WO and I remembered that traveling the world was already taking a lot of time.

It's the same size as Xanadu.

For the last week I've been trying everything I can think of. I tried separating the actions file into individual files each with a single action in them. No luck. I tried running them one at a time in the editor to see what happens with it, no luck either. I tried generating it on two other PCs and a third Dell PowerEdge server with 64 GB RAM installed, and no luck.

Short of trying to make a whole different 8k map with none of the same things I did for this one, I cannot think of anything else to try. This issue seems completely senseless.

I was planning a concept map with random spawn points and some custom modding. Travelling isn't an issue.

Is WGenerator 2.9 just not capable of generating 8k maps?

you probably need to start it with an arguement to use more ram in order to generate an 8k map.

I would say using -xmx8192M at least for an 8k map generation

Was wondering what the "required" biomes are in order to do most things in the game? Trying to put together a map for some friends and I but haven't been able to find a list of recommended settings 

Also is there a way to get a "clean" base database without getting DB browser? 

Edited by Zamster

25 minutes ago, Zamster said:

Was wondering what the "required" biomes are in order to do most things in the game?

Clay, tar, sand, and a non-fruit tree are the bare necessities, I believe. 

If you add lemon trees, then players can eventually add their own peat. 

Over time, they will also forage sprouts and be able to plant orange trees, raspberries, blueberries, hops, etc.

30 minutes ago, Zamster said:

Also is there a way to get a "clean" base database without getting DB browser? 

You can us a GM wand set to Auxdata 2 and just take a run through the world using it to "erase" anything you don't want by turning it to grass.  

Heyo. Love this tool, very grateful for it!
A minor issue I found was that map_actions.act doesn't seem to actually save all the numbers.
For example:

HEIGHTMAP:1554179444942,1,320,100,32,1,4096,22,false
ERODE:60,1,100
ERODE:30,1,50
DROPDIRT:1554185498812,500,80,50,58,1700,2.5,false

On erode, I changed the max slope numbers between the different actions. It does not seem to save the max slope variable though, instead using whatever global values were set when the tool is opened. Seems very strange that it would only save the iterations, min slope, and sediment per.
I'm not sure if any numbers from any other process got missed too, but that one is pretty obvious.

Edit: I'd also like to say, what's the use of having an import biomes option when a lot of the biomes internally share the same color data? Every single tree is the same color, lawn reeds kelp and grass have the same color... seems pointless?

Edited by Metallumere

what does Normalize Ratio mean/do?  I getting alot of mountians on my map and Im trying to create a map that is mostly plains

On 8/14/2016 at 1:24 PM, Snapo said:

i have a problem and i cannot find a solution...when i use the tile_tree selection it only generates birch trees...how can i get it to generate random trees in a group?

like  oak and linden trees in one forest.

i love using the tool but this is a big problem for me.

Can we get an answer on this please? Eitr?

Is it possible to have the generic tile_tree randomly choose between all trees? Or a file we create with line entries of tile_tree_walnut etc for it to choose from?