Sign in to follow this  
Eitr

Map Generator 2.9 [supports Wurm 1.4]

java -Xmx4096m -jar WGenerator.jar 

Sooo, i tried this in the cmd window, I guess I don't know what I am doing. so exactly where does it go and what it look like in the CMD prompt?

On the generator screen bottom right  there is a labeled on how much ram I am using it tells me 99% of 0.25gb. is it possible to add a drop down on the .25gb to change the amount of memory to use?

I have 32G ddr4.

Edited by Alen
added statment

On 6/2/2018 at 9:21 PM, Alen said:

Sooo, i tried this in the cmd window, I guess I don't know what I am doing. so exactly where does it go and what it look like in the CMD prompt?

On the generator screen bottom right  there is a labeled on how much ram I am using it tells me 99% of 0.25gb. is it possible to add a drop down on the .25gb to change the amount of memory to use?

I have 32G ddr4.

You type that in the command window in the same folder as the file you downloaded. If you're on windows, you can shift+right click the folder and select "Open command window here".

The 4096m specifies how much memory you're allowing it to use. Since you have a lot, you can give it something like 16gb, so the command would become: "java -Xmx16g -jar WGenerator.jar". These parameters have to be specified before launching the program.

Very cool map generator!

Easily able to get a nice playable map going in no time.

One issue I ran into was trying to put snow on top of mountains. Every time I changed the max height to like 4500 or so, it would reset to 3000 when I clicked the add biome button or clicked the map in paint mode. Even tried editing the actions file for just that one action with the snow action only and edited values but still couldn't get snow working.

Same issue with TILE_LAVA, interesting.

Uggh, set lava to min 2000, max 3000 just to see if it would work and it did. Now the undo last isn't erasing it!

After playing with this for quite some time, I seem to be getting random glitches. My first go through on a map placed sand exactly as expected, around the shoreline. Now, hours later when I try to do it, it just blotches sand spots all over the map no matter what settings. Its like its not noticing I have the Around Water selected and 300min/600max heights. Same thing with clay.

Thanks for the awesome editor!!

:)

Edited by jdubb

On 7/7/2018 at 11:30 PM, jdubb said:

One issue I ran into was trying to put snow on top of mountains. Every time I changed the max height to like 4500 or so, it would reset to 3000 when I clicked the add biome button or clicked the map in paint mode. Even tried editing the actions file for just that one action with the snow action only and edited values but still couldn't get snow working.

Check your max dirt height under "Drop Dirt". It will only set your max to however high your dirt is (should still be adding snow to the top though). 

My first go through on a map placed sand exactly as expected, around the shoreline. Now, hours later when I try to do it, it just blotches sand spots all over the map no matter what settings. Its like its not noticing I have the Around Water selected and 300min/600max heights. Same thing with clay.

So, the "Around Water" checkbox actually changes how the min/max height input fields work. If it's checked, it will offset the heights based on the water height. So with 300/600 min/max, and water height of 500, you're actually seeding the biome at heights of 200-1100. So, [water-min, water+max]. Does that make sense? That way you don't actually have to remember the water height, and can seed stuff directly below/above the water easily.

Very cool map generator!

Thanks for the awesome editor!!

I love this map generator, but I think I need some help with it. I've tried out several different map configs, but they always turn out very mountainous all over. 

What I want is land that is mainly gently rolling, but then with some steep mountains in a couple of places.

What I'm getting is land that is hilly all over, even when I set the max height to only 1000 (as in the 3rd image below).

Every map I've made seems to want to climb immediately up from the water until it reaches max height.

Is there a way I could configure this, so that I can get some nice, natural meadowlands?

Edited by Batta

10 hours ago, Batta said:

Is there a way I could configure this, so that I can get some nice, natural meadowlands?

Have you tried a lower border weight?

7 hours ago, Palgolak said:

Have you tried a lower border weight?

Not yet. I didn't know what border weight meant, but I'll try it now. Thanks!

border weight determines how close to the edges mountains go - at one end of the scale the mountains will just be in the middle of the map and at the other they will spread out all over.

The only way to create things where you want them is to create a hightmap in some other program and then import the file.

Edited by CountZero

Getting a Could not reserve enough space for object heap error. I've tried all earlier posts about fixing this and none seem to be working, ideas? It worked fine with no need to allocate ram on 131 java but now that Im at 181 java I can't load actions at all since it runs out of memory, but can't allocate more than 1gb (which isn't enough).
Tested the Pathtowurmfolder/bin/java etc option to try binding it to my WU java but the cmd that runs from that .bat immediately closes and never launches the program.

Also a friend is making a map and having trouble where kelp is everywhere, even where there should have been grass. And it is coming out on the biome.png as all one color. Painted kelp is being read as dirt and grass as kelp it seems. We think it may be due to the closeness in the colors of the grass and kelp, not sure with the dirt. We were letting the grass auto generate. Any suggestions here? 

cant help you with the java stuff as im no programmer although I am using 181 64bit (Win10) and have had no issues with it whatsoever without having to change any settings or allocate additional RAM.

I am at work so only have the map generator to play with (I cant load it into wurm to see how it turns out) but I am having trouble seeing kelp too - no matter what i do I cant see if kelp has been applied or not, I'v not noticed before as i usually just auto-generate the biome and never pay attention (its not a very important tile type).

I have never encountered what your describing where two biome types get swapped over tho - knowing what settings he used and what he did step by step would help but it may be easier to ask him to just remove all biomes entirely and just load a bare map and see if the grass is ok. Then pain a single section of kelp in an easy to find place and then load that map to see if its ok.

It might just be a case of odd settings and applying it so often without being able to see where its going that he just applied it everywhere without noticing. 

I just auto-generate the kelp too and it always comes up fine. Can't see it until you go in the world and fly around a bit though.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:14 AM, Darkness1990 said:

I guess I used a old version before V2.5 just found out we can dig rock tiles ?

We actually encountered a related problem that may or may not be to do with yours.

The import biome function, when importing rock/cliff tiles, won't actually respect their existence. I.E they will still have all their dirt if they had any from a previous step. This results in a bug where you can dig on cliff tiles, and causes opening mine tunnels on them to cause extreme terrain distortion. I'm working on developing a quick tool with the wurm API that takes any tile that's rock or cliff and raises the rock height so it matches surface height. It probably won't help existing maps where people have already opened tunnels, but it will prevent other people running into the same bug until Eitr comes up with a fix.

Edit: And here's our little solution. It searches for any rock tiles and when it finds any it removes any dirt without altering the height of the landscape. If you need to use it on cliffs you can just change where it says Tile.TILE_ROCK to Tile.TILE_CLIFF. I do not know what it will do to existing cave entrances. My suspicion is that it would be fine as there's no dirt in entrance corners anyway, but no promises.

https://pastebin.com/pqyn2ViM

This is just the additional code on top of the wurm API. Not bad considering I have zero experience with Java (I'm a python man), but I have no idea how to turn it into a standalone tool. If you're super desperate to get it fixed and can't handle getting an IDE working, you'll need to send me the map.

Edited by tophattingson
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, tophattingson said:

We actually encountered a related problem that may or may not be to do with yours.

The import biome function, when importing rock/cliff tiles, won't actually respect their existence. I.E they will still have all their dirt if they had any from a previous step. This results in a bug where you can dig on cliff tiles, and causes opening mine tunnels on them to cause extreme terrain distortion. I'm working on developing a quick tool with the wurm API that takes any tile that's rock or cliff and raises the rock height so it matches surface height. It probably won't help existing maps where people have already opened tunnels, but it will prevent other people running into the same bug until Eitr comes up with a fix.

Edit: And here's our little solution. It searches for any rock tiles and when it finds any it removes any dirt without altering the height of the landscape. If you need to use it on cliffs you can just change where it says Tile.TILE_ROCK to Tile.TILE_CLIFF. I do not know what it will do to existing cave entrances. My suspicion is that it would be fine as there's no dirt in entrance corners anyway, but no promises.

https://pastebin.com/pqyn2ViM

This is just the additional code on top of the wurm API. Not bad considering I have zero experience with Java (I'm a python man), but I have no idea how to turn it into a standalone tool. If you're super desperate to get it fixed and can't handle getting an IDE working, you'll need to send me the map.

I found a solution by replacing the rock_layer with a new one using the same map. I had to place mine doors on everyone's mine or they would bug out. Players cant dig rock now :)

Just decided to fool around with making maps again and ran into a couple buggy things:

1. The generator UI very frequently gets glitchy, where it starts drawing ghost partial UIs over itself, as I mouse over it.  I can clear the ghosts by resizing the UI, but it keeps happening over and over.  Eventually I can work through to a completion of a project, but it is not easy.

2.  I love the new option to put flowers in my grass biome, however, in the actual game, if I try to pick those flowers I get this error: [08:58:17] You fail to pick the flowers. You realize something is wrong with the world.

Love the tool as always!  Appreciate all this great work :)

On 10/29/2015 at 5:04 PM, Eitr said:

Try running the program from the console and giving Java more memory. Java version 8 64-bit is required.

cd directory/to/program

Where 4096m is the amount of memory, in megabytes. (1gb = 1024mb)

I did this, but got the following error:

Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx4096m
The specified size exceeds the maximum representable size.
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

I recently switched from a very slow, crappy laptop where I could run this program without having to do the command prompt, to a high-speed gaming computer.  I'm surprised it didn't work without needing command prompt, and since that's not working, I don't know what to try.  Maybe I'm missing some software on my new computer?  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Ricowan said:

Sounds like you have the 32bit version of Java installed.

Thank you!  That was it.  ?

So I have down Loaded the jar and extracted it - but I do not see and exe or way to start this ? Pls help

23 minutes ago, Polosc61 said:

So I have down Loaded the jar and extracted it - but I do not see and exe or way to start this ? Pls help

I believe there is no extracting needed, you jusr run the .jar via Java.

Got it - TY - needed java - forgot I did not have it on this comp. New issue is memory (I think) in the program i get: Exception in thread "Thread-3" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space. According to task manager I have 11.2GB available but when I run java -Xmx4096m -jar WGenerator.jar i get Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx4096m

any idea what I am doing wrong?

21 hours ago, Polosc61 said:

Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx4096m

any idea what I am doing wrong?

Are you using 32 bit java? Trying installing the 64 bit version.