Sign in to follow this  
Eitr

Map Generator 2.9 [supports Wurm 1.4]

Hey ricowan, thanks for responding!  I set the horizontal scale to 4 meters.  Typically, L3DT starts the horizontal scale at 10, which is more for flight simulators.

I've only played around a little bit with L3DT, haven't actually used the results in WU...  I wonder what would happen if the horizontal scale is set to 1 instead of 4?

I dont know if its just me but I'm having trouble with a 8192 map but aside from it taking an hour and 45 minutes longer, I dont get a biomes or cave map, plus my heightmap and topo map is a giant white boxed X with text across the center of the png saying the output location. A 4096 map seems to work perfectly with WAAAAAY more time saved but I dont have the land mass I want (It's just that I like more possibilities so larger maps are more appealing to me) and it doesn't use nearly as much ram, 8192 map uses 94% of 8 GB and the 4096 map uses only 10-20%. Oh and I accidentally posted on the older page with the original Wgen and I was wondering if this one can use 6 cores(I'm not expecting it to with how utterly slow it's been with larger maps)

what color for height is the one that is just above water level

On 2/10/2017 at 1:18 PM, QBit said:

I dont know if its just me but I'm having trouble with a 8192 map but aside from it taking an hour and 45 minutes longer, I dont get a biomes or cave map, plus my heightmap and topo map is a giant white boxed X with text across the center of the png saying the output location. A 4096 map seems to work perfectly with WAAAAAY more time saved but I dont have the land mass I want (It's just that I like more possibilities so larger maps are more appealing to me) and it doesn't use nearly as much ram, 8192 map uses 94% of 8 GB and the 4096 map uses only 10-20%. Oh and I accidentally posted on the older page with the original Wgen and I was wondering if this one can use 6 cores(I'm not expecting it to with how utterly slow it's been with larger maps)

Sounds like you are running out of ram and having garbage collection issues trying to make that size of map. If you want to render a map of that size I would suggest using a machine with at least 12 gigs of ram if not more, and you will need to run it with the proper maximum memory for java so it can use that much ram.

Yes I am going to ask, why on gods earth would you need an 8k map. My main server runs a 4k map and I had to incorp a portal system so people could actually get around reasonably lol.

4096 map using 20% and 8192 using 80+% makes perfect sense. An 8k map is 4x the size of a 4k map, remember it is basically 4 4k maps arranged in a square, it is not double the size it is quad. I would highly suggest if you want that much space for whatever reason, run 4 4k servers and connect them together with the RMI cluster system.

With 20ish players, a good creature count to make the map alive, and those players making all kinds of god knows what and leaving it laying around, you will average 4-5 gigs of ram use for the server to run on a 4k map. quad that on an 8k thats 16-20 gigs of ram just to have the server run all of its processes.

Can't figure out how to add a custom heightmap property as i can see the outline in the app after i drop dirt and ore, but the end results is always a full map of rock at water level

5ldi13.png

Edited by enoofu

Do you mean that it looks correctly in the app but turns to flat rock at water level when you put it in game?

Try generating the ores before saving the files. If you don't do it the cave layer contains bad data and will cause the server to do just that first time you load the map.

On 3/10/2017 at 2:32 AM, Nocturnalist said:

With the new update, how can we get rock salt veins in custom maps?

Rock salt veins automatically spawned all over on our map after the patch. I would imagine that with no variable specified in the map gen process that it would still do the same for a fresh sever. Since basically the veins spawned on tiles that had salt possible, which isn't something i needed to do during generation.

Hi, whenever I drop dirt in the map generator I get this message.

Dedicating more memory seems to have done the trick for me. It doesn't give me the issue anymore!

java.io.IOException: The system cannot find the path specified
    at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
    at java.io.File.createNewFile(Unknown Source)
    at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.MapData.createMap(MapData.java:74)
    at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.MapData.<init>(MapData.java:40)
    at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.WurmAPI.<init>(WurmAPI.java:49)
    at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.WurmAPI.create(WurmAPI.java:26)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.getAPI(MainWindow.java:2437)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateAPIMap(MainWindow.java:2480)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateMapView(MainWindow.java:2460)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.actionDropDirt(MainWindow.java:1782)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow$34$1.run(MainWindow.java:1504)
Exception in thread "Thread-4" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateAPIMap(MainWindow.java:2480)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateMapView(MainWindow.java:2460)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.actionDropDirt(MainWindow.java:1782)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow$34$1.run(MainWindow.java:1504)

Edited by Goblinking

This looks like a very splendid editor. Just tried it now, it produces some fine terrain. :)

Is there a feature planned to import an existing world for modification? Maybe just to chuck in a biome or two, or remove them, or erode rock a bit. Your tool can already export what it's produced to image files which is fantastic, but being able to take in existing MAP layers for exporting to images would make some tip top bi-directional functionality.

not familiar with github so here is a updated version with orange trees added to the drop down and rocksalt and sandstone viens.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5ao815208gyx2wx/WGenerator.jar

Feel free to add it to github changed the version to 2.8.3 change that at will just want it to not get confused with 2.8

If time passes by after the new bushes gets added and no one updates it If I have time I'll update it again.

Edited by Arkonick
  • Like 1

Note that if you generate a map with rocksalt and sandstone... the game server will still convert some rock to them at the default locations.

Is this still unable to generate proper 8K or so maps? My world is flat!

Is this still unable to generate proper 8K or so maps? My world is flat!

If you map rock layer does not come out then at some point your build got corrupted in the build best thing to do is rebuild it again. 

Some times this can be caused by dropping dirt one to many times or undoing and redoing tree placement it causes info corruption on the maps.

FIX: is rebuild the map it's important to not close the program till you are sure the map is working reason is the new 2.8 version does not save a river build in the action map because of this if you rebuild the river build will not be built upon a rebuild of the action file. so do not close the map builder till you have tested your map.

Maps bigger than 2048 do to the long process of them can get a corrupted map and a rebuild of the map is always been the fix. Sometimes if you do to many dirt drops it is important to edit the actions and remove some of the un needed drops to help the build not get corrupted. 2.8 works fine and always has. Java has always been a ram intense language there for the bigger the map the more ram the more chance you have for corruption. Most programs don't use as much ram for a single process.

Does anyone here happen to know how to map a copy of my map for the in-game map?
A step-by-step would be greatly appreciated! <3

Make sure the map is a png format then copy the name "your map name goes here".png then open the mapping.txt file with notepad or notepad++ then do a search for Ocrea paste your map name then it works in game for you.

example my map.

map.ocrea                = gui/Maps/ocrea.png Original

map.ocrea                = ArkStuff/gui/Maps/Foreverlands.png my server with my own custom folder I store my stuff

You can place your map in the same place they put there maps or make your own folder but then you have to add the location like I did.

i having issues with Biomes. I press the button for them to generate and it says its seeding them once its done nothing happens to the map

I was able to fix this by downloading JDK9.. Thanks Anyway :)

Hello,

I am trying to use the map generator.. More specifically I am trying to increase the amount of RAM used. But i seem to have errors thrown at me.. Everything is located in the same file.

I have this in a .bat file: 

Spoiler

java -Xmx8192m -jar WGenerator.jar

pause

And it throws this at me when I run the file:

Spoiler

B:\WurmMapGen>java -Xmx8192m -jar WGenerator.jar
Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx8192m
The specified size exceeds the maximum representable size.
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

B:\WurmMapGen>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

My Server specs:

Spoiler

Windows Server 2016

2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz

48.0 GB Ram

6 x 3TB HHD's in Raid (more than enough Space)

Edited by Azrimalos
Fixed it

so i feel like i must be retarded here, what do i need in order for this to actually open because when i try to run the .jar nothing happens

1 hour ago, Zaramoth said:

so i feel like i must be retarded here, what do i need in order for this to actually open because when i try to run the .jar nothing happens

All you need is java.

fixed the problem, guess i didnt have the right java?

Edited by Zaramoth

i have 8g of usable ram but it doesnt even let me use 2, getting the standard 

C:\Users\e6000\Desktop\WURM TOOLS\Map gen>java -Xmx2g -jar WGenerator.jar
Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not reserve enough space for 2097152KB object heap

C:\Users\e000\Desktop\WURM TOOLS\Map gen>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

i have 64bit java/windows/processor 

that is because the heap size defaults low.

You need to use a command line to launch it if you are building bigger than a 1024 size map..

java -Xms512M -Xmx1024M -jar WGenerator.jar

-Xmx is the initial starting ram for when you launch the application. -Xmx is the maximum ram  you want to allow it to use.

Other options: -XXaggressive:opt makes java kick the door down so to speak and spin up to its optimal performance quickly to become stable, and provides a smoother operational experience. Normally for short run applications I wouldnt recommend this, but since the mapviewer can be a resource hog during erosions I suggest it.