Sign in to follow this  
Eitr

Map Generator 2.9 [supports Wurm 1.4]

3 hours ago, Syphorus said:

Generating a quick map to test it that appears to be what it's doing.

I'd imagine the "BUSH" boime does the same thing.

Thank you.  I can put down some mixed forests now without needed to go in manually and put each type in.  After they are down, I'll let time and "nature" sort themselves out (I'm talking to you oaks and willows!). ;-)

So, I generated a  16k MAP, looks awesome, The snow capped peaks are slightly over 1km high...

BUT for those of you interested, 

It took 35Gb of memory and about 8 hours total render time. 

The server using the map with 600,000 creatures will take approximately 24GB of memory to run.

If you are having issues running a map; corruption, lag, etc, check your memory usage. 

This post is mostly just a huge THANK YOU for this tool.  :-) 

Edited by GrimmLiberty
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, GrimmLiberty said:

The server using the map with 600,000 creatures will take approximately 24GB of memory to run.

By the beard of Zeus that's insane!

The map looks gorgeous though.

I have now finish my Map with the Map Generator. How i can show my own world map (picture - ingame)? I have the Mapview from Xanadu. 

2 hours ago, Hanver said:

I have now finish my Map with the Map Generator. How i can show my own world map (picture - ingame)? I have the Mapview from Xanadu. 

It's currently not possible without some jar edits on the client side. 

Hopefully that will be fixed soon enough.

The latest client mod loader can use a custom mapsunlimited.xml in a serverpack jar and display a custom map.

This a serverpack which replaces the default map of the adventure server with the mapdump. The adventure servers map has been renamed to "Playtime" in the wurmlogin.db servers table.

https://github.com/ago1024/WurmClientModLauncher/releases/download/v0.3.1/demopack.with.custom.map.jar

3 hours ago, ago said:

The latest client mod loader can use a custom mapsunlimited.xml in a serverpack jar and display a custom map.

This a serverpack which replaces the default map of the adventure server with the mapdump. The adventure servers map has been renamed to "Playtime" in the wurmlogin.db servers table.

https://github.com/ago1024/WurmClientModLauncher/releases/download/v0.3.1/demopack.with.custom.map.jar

Only client side? Or work it per servermodlauncher too?

1 hour ago, Hanver said:

Only client side? Or work it per servermodlauncher too?

It has to be enabled on both client and server.  The server has to have the mod enabled to push the map to players, and the player has to have the mod enabled to accept server packages.

On 1/19/2016 at 11:05 PM, GrimmLiberty said:

So, I generated a  16k MAP, looks awesome, The snow capped peaks are slightly over 1km high...

I'm glad I'm not the only mad, rash fool attempting a project this size.  

Incidentally, how do you measure the height of the peaks?  I know the highest peak I have is around 4000 units (in the generator), but have no idea how high that is.

Good to know.  What kind of machine are you doing all this on?

Mine's been taking a similar amount of memory.  When you talk about render time, do you mean dropping dirt?  That seems to take the largest amount of time for me (... though installing the extra processor in the server helped a lot).

How do you find the creature density at 600k for a 16k map?

This post is mostly just a huge THANK YOU for this tool.  :-) 

I must echo that sentiment. :)

• Like 1

On 1/21/2016 at 6:58 PM, Lichbane said:

I'm glad I'm not the only mad, rash fool attempting a project this size.  

Incidentally, how do you measure the height of the peaks?  I know the highest peak I have is around 4000 units (in the generator), but have no idea how high that is.

Good to know.  What kind of machine are you doing all this on?

Mine's been taking a similar amount of memory.  When you talk about render time, do you mean dropping dirt?  That seems to take the largest amount of time for me (... though installing the extra processor in the server helped a lot).

How do you find the creature density at 600k for a 16k map?

I must echo that sentiment. :)

Every 10 dirt is 1 meter of Height. My map has a Max height of 14,000 dirt, but the I eroded it so much and the dirt is only 80 deep, I found my highest peak to be 11,280 dirt high, just over 1km high. 

Also, make sure you water is divisible by 40 if you want smoother transitions to land. Through trial and error I found this to work well. 

It came to my attention because on some servers you will see graphical "glitches near the water's edge, like the water is 'bumped up" a few dirt, semi-transparent and only visible on one or two directions... this is fixed with water height /40 evenly. 

For render time I mean the whole process. Dropping dirt takes the longest because I have landslide on. (It makes for smoother "lowland to midlands" transitions.)

I also found that the max slope that can be eroded is 300 by default, and isn't changeable, so any map with a height over 16000 will ALWAYS have flat topped, cliff-like "mountains".

I spent to 100+ hours working with various programs and even hand drawing height maps... This one works the best IMHO. 

Here are some links for creature density... It varies from place to place, 600,000max with 55% hostile at this point produces 555,886 creatures on my map. 

Danger Ahead

Farmlands Possibly?

Why isn't this a forest fire?

[EDIT]

You can find the total creature count on a map using a GM #calcCreatures command. 

You can check for creature location errors using #checkCreatures, and If your map is smaller, #dumpcreatures to make a creature location/spawn map PNG. 

I get java errors when #dumpcreatures is trying to calculate my map, "array out of bounds", likely too many creatures or tiles, or both. 

[/EDIT]

ALSO, change affinity for CPUs to NOT USE at least one core if you have a quad, it helps IMMENSELY when generating and or running a server.

Edited by GrimmLiberty
  • Like 1

Thanks for your reply.  

I'm a little worried now that my "tallest mountain" at 4000 units is now going to be only 400m from base height (with a sea-level at 440units/44m).  My heightmap already goes pretty much from black to white.  How to you "stretch" the features so that mountains are taller using an imported heightmap? EDIT: I'm trying the "Max Height" parameter to see if this affects imported maps.  I've always assumed that it's to do with the random maps, but .... well, fingers crossed.  It will mean I'll have to redo my beaches though. *sigh*

Thanks for the tips on creature count.  Nice screenshots too.  Do you have any of your peaks to give some perspective of lowlands to mountains?

Also, I'm using an old rack-mount dual quad-core processor (Gen 6 HP DL160 that a company was just throwing out!)  It's seems to be handling the load pretty well.

Edited by Lichbane

17 minutes ago, Lichbane said:

Thanks for your reply.  

I'm a little worried now that my "tallest mountain" at 4000 units is now going to be only 400m from base height (with a sea-level at 440units/44m).  My heightmap already goes pretty much from black to white.  How to you "stretch" the features so that mountains are taller using an imported heightmap?

Thanks for the tips on creature count.  Nice screenshots too.  Do you have any of your peaks to give some perspective of lowlands to mountains?

Also, I'm using an old rack-mount dual quad-core processor (Gen 6 HP DL160 that a company was just throwing out!)  It's seems to be handling the load pretty well.

i set the height before importing

on a 2k map i keep the height around 3k,

on a 4k map i keep the height around 6k

on an 8k map i can up it to 22000

on a 16k you should be able to to go over 45000 or more, not sure what the max height is

probably requires a bit of testing, i usually drop like 5 dirt and then load the map up ingame and fly around to check heights n make sure its all good before i start messing with bioms

Wondering if anyone has any advise for some settings for me. I am trying to create the smallest map size using mostly the map generators defaults but all my maps come out really bumpy with sharp spikes every other tile or so all over. Been trying to use erosion a few times and playing around with the max dirt on tile and max dirt on slope but I cant seem to find the correct combo of settings to smooth out the landscape. 

36 minutes ago, Lyandar said:

Wondering if anyone has any advise for some settings for me. I am trying to create the smallest map size using mostly the map generators defaults but all my maps come out really bumpy with sharp spikes every other tile or so all over. Been trying to use erosion a few times and playing around with the max dirt on tile and max dirt on slope but I cant seem to find the correct combo of settings to smooth out the landscape. 

set iterations in heightmap to 6 maybe 7

setting max dirt slope to 70 and max diagonal slope to 80 may help a bit

3 hours ago, Aum said:

Thanks for these tips, I will give them a try this evening

4 hours ago, Aum said:

1 hour ago, Lyandar said:

Thanks for these tips, I will give them a try this evening

This is gonna be your best bet. I'd say 5-7 is the best range, lower gets too smooth, and higher gets too rocky. Even 5 is a little ugly on larger maps. 

Hmmm ... I'm using the value for BUSH_THORNS as specified in the pallet; I've double checked it ... it's the right value.  But each time I import the biome, they disappear.

Any ideas?

On 1/26/2016 at 3:22 PM, Lichbane said:

Hmmm ... I'm using the value for BUSH_THORNS as specified in the pallet; I've double checked it ... it's the right value.  But each time I import the biome, they disappear.

Ok.  For those folks wondering, the pallet in the OP is incorrect.

BUSH_CAMELLIA = 58,58,1

BUSH_GRAPE = 58,58,2

BUSH_LAVENDAR = 58,58,3

BUSH_OLEANDER = 58,58,4

BUSH_ROSE = 58,58,5

BUSH_THORN = 58,58,6

Has anyone figured out custom spawn locations?

When I place a dot in the map generator and uncheck random spawns I use those coordinates as a starting location.

I always end up inland and cannot verify if I'm even starting near where i want to be. or I start way out in the water.

I'm trying to start on a beach near the edge of my map.

10 hours ago, Kendoh said:

When I place a dot in the map generator and uncheck random spawns I use those coordinates as a starting location.

I always end up inland and cannot verify if I'm even starting near where i want to be. or I start way out in the water.

The coordinates are NOT at all accurate. Use Map Viewer to get Real Coordinates. Open map and check mouse over....

Edited by GrimmLiberty

I've struck a bit of a wall.  I know that the tool can place down Mycelium (RGB 0,0,0).  Unfortunately, I can't seem to import it into the tool from the biome map that I've been working on.  Can anyone assist?

On 2/6/2016 at 3:48 PM, Lichbane said:

I've struck a bit of a wall.  I know that the tool can place down Mycelium (RGB 0,0,0).  Unfortunately, I can't seem to import it into the tool from the biome map that I've been working on.  Can anyone assist?

Redownload, I've added Mycelium (71,2,51) to the import list now. 

On 2/1/2016 at 8:44 AM, Kendoh said:

Are you checking the coordinates while in topographic mode? It's the top-down mode that's a lot more accurate than the default isometric view.

3 hours ago, Eitr said:

Redownload, I've added Mycelium (71,2,51) to the import list now.

Thanks. 

I would like a button added to the 2.8 version if you get time. It is a cancel button that cancel's the last thing you told it to do. There is a undo last action button but it is missing a cancel action button so if you notice you jumped the gun and messed up a input you don't have to wait for it to go threw this 1 hr or so process then have to hit undo. It makes more since to be able to cancel it fix the input then click add biome. This is to help large map makers cause the larger the map some times it take a bit for generation to finish. 

This way it would just dump it's action and reset.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arkonick said:

I would like a button added to the 2.8 version if you get time. It is a cancel button that cancel's the last thing you told it to do. There is a undo last action button but it is missing a cancel action button so if you notice you jumped the gun and messed up a input you don't have to wait for it to go threw this 1 hr or so process then have to hit undo. It makes more since to be able to cancel it fix the input then click add biome. This is to help large map makers cause the larger the map some times it take a bit for generation to finish. 

This way it would just dump it's action and reset.

The import biomes has been a godsend for me.  What I did was create a base grass/rock map and them build specific biomes onto that.  I then export that as a png and then use Photoshop (or Gimp will work as well) to cut out just that biome.  You can then use your photoshop/gimp to import those as layers; you can rearrange them as you like so find out what gives you the effect you're looking for.

Yes, building maps from scratch is a pain.  It takes me just over an hour (and a full 32Gb of ram) to drop dirt onto my map.  So yeah .... a cancel button would be great. The import biome is an ok workaround in the short term.

What the tool REALLY needs is a way to import .map files.  I'd love to be able to take my currently operating map, make a few tweaks to biomes and then reimport it back into hte game.  I'm not sure if that's possible, but it would be a real asset.

• Like 1