Sign in to follow this  
Eitr

Map Generator 2.9 [supports Wurm 1.4]

On 11/30/2015 at 4:05 AM, Hanver said:

THX it works perfect. i have use it with 8192

I'm building a 16k map.  Would you believe I've had to pump it up to 32768?  I hope it doesn't blow up again. :o

I'm glad I didn't stick to my original play to build a 32k map.

Edited by Lichbane

A couple of noob questions regarding the two buttons on the Dirt/Water tab - Drop Dirt and Update Water.  I guess the naming of these are causing me a little confusion.  

Update Water is pretty self explanatory and just seems to update the water if you change the water height or if you generate rivers.  If you Drop Dirt is a cumulative drop on top of previous drops?   Or does it update based on new parameters specified like the update water?

2 hours ago, Lichbane said:

A couple of noob questions regarding the two buttons on the Dirt/Water tab - Drop Dirt and Update Water.  I guess the naming of these are causing me a little confusion.  

Update Water is pretty self explanatory and just seems to update the water if you change the water height or if you generate rivers.  If you Drop Dirt is a cumulative drop on top of previous drops?   Or does it update based on new parameters specified like the update water?

Drop Dirt drops a fresh dirt layer whenever clicked, it will only save the current information stored on the Dirt tab (dirt height, slope, water level, cliffs, etc.). It will go through the full process of dropping. Update water simply adjusts the visible water level based on any changes you've made to it, and does not change anything (including any biomes that may now be underwater if you have made any changes to them) else. 

50 minutes ago, Syphorus said:

Drop Dirt drops a fresh dirt layer whenever clicked, it will only save the current information stored on the Dirt tab (dirt height, slope, water level, cliffs, etc.). It will go through the full process of dropping. Update water simply adjusts the visible water level based on any changes you've made to it, and does not change anything (including any biomes that may now be underwater if you have made any changes to them) else. 

Is there any way to simply update the original dirt drop?  Every time you generate rivers it seems to drop dirt again (Yes .... I know you can turn that off)

16 minutes ago, Lichbane said:

Is there any way to simply update the original dirt drop?  Every time you generate rivers it seems to drop dirt again (Yes .... I know you can turn that off)

The Drop function does the whole thing. Drops dirt and updates water. There's no short way of updating the surface dirt aside from biome editing.

1 hour ago, Syphorus said:

The Drop function does the whole thing. Drops dirt and updates water. There's no short way of updating the surface dirt aside from biome editing.

Ah.  Ok.  Understand now.

A couple of questions about biome placement -

1) When painting biomes, is there any way to see where where you've placed the seed or the size and effect that will have?  What I mean is kind of like the painting of rivers.

2) Are there "default environments" placed by the game?  Is grass naturally on the ground, or do I need to place a biome for all grass?  If it's the latter, can I just place grass everywhere first and then place other biomes over the top of them to overwrite the grass?

3) Related to question 2, do I need to place sand biomes around all coastlines to get sandy beaches or does sand (even if it's not usable sand) naturally appear on coasts?

3 hours ago, Lichbane said:

A couple of questions about biome placement -

1) When painting biomes, is there any way to see where where you've placed the seed or the size and effect that will have?  What I mean is kind of like the painting of rivers.

2) Are there "default environments" placed by the game?  Is grass naturally on the ground, or do I need to place a biome for all grass?  If it's the latter, can I just place grass everywhere first and then place other biomes over the top of them to overwrite the grass?

3) Related to question 2, do I need to place sand biomes around all coastlines to get sandy beaches or does sand (even if it's not usable sand) naturally appear on coasts?

1) Oh Gods, I wish! I typically just export my biomes.png and paint things myself. The current system simply "paints" based on your parameters (min/max height, near water, max slope, radius and density) and where you click. (Edit: For manual painting, the rgb values for the different biome types are listed in the original post under one of the spoiler tags.)

2/3) There is default grass and rock above water and dirt and rock below water, everything else (including beaches, forests, tar/clay/peat pits, etc.) has to be added by seeding (or painting, I use Gimp, MS paint doesn't save the pngs properly).

Edited by Syphorus

4 hours ago, Syphorus said:

1) Oh Gods, I wish! I typically just export my biomes.png and paint things myself. The current system simply "paints" based on your parameters (min/max height, near water, max slope, radius and density) and where you click. (Edit: For manual painting, the rgb values for the different biome types are listed in the original post under one of the spoiler tags.)

2/3) There is default grass and rock above water and dirt and rock below water, everything else (including beaches, forests, tar/clay/peat pits, etc.) has to be added by seeding (or painting, I use Gimp, MS paint doesn't save the pngs properly).

Ahhh ... thanks for the tip on using a paint program.  I'll try doing that instead.

On 1/5/2016 at 1:43 AM, Lichbane said:

There's no way to just update the dirt because you'd have to dig out the existing dirt. When you generate rivers, it alters the original height map that the dirt drop is based on, requiring a new dirt drop.

You can uncheck the auto-drop if you want to generate a bunch of rivers, or drop a 1-dirt layer for a quick preview if you need to.

What does the "load/save actions" actions do?

Also how do you load the whole map if you've closed ( ... or in my case, had to reboot).

Edited by Lichbane

Is there a trick to using the biome's 'undo' button, 90% of the time it won't undo an action, so I get stuck with it and have to start all over again, which is frustrating, I've been trying to 'dress' a map for days with no success.

1 hour ago, Drathania said:

Is there a trick to using the biome's 'undo' button, 90% of the time it won't undo an action, so I get stuck with it and have to start all over again, which is frustrating, I've been trying to 'dress' a map for days with no success.

it only goes back the last step.

12 hours ago, Lichbane said:

What does the "load/save actions" actions do?

Also how do you load the whole map if you've closed ( ... or in my case, had to reboot).

Load/Save actions records the actions you do, and tries to replay them in the same order (essentially reloading your project). 

A faster way is to save your heightmap and biome image files and reimport those, you'll just have to drop dirt again.

5 hours ago, Eitr said:

Load/Save actions records the actions you do, and tries to replay them in the same order (essentially reloading your project). 

A faster way is to save your heightmap and biome image files and reimport those, you'll just have to drop dirt again.

Considering each action takes 10min+ due to the size of my map, I don't think I'll do that.  Building this thing is VERY slow.

I'll use the other method.  Thanks.

On 1/7/2016 at 11:40 AM, Lichbane said:

Considering each action takes 10min+ due to the size of my map, I don't think I'll do that.  Building this thing is VERY slow.

I'll use the other method.  Thanks.

i practice on a smaller version of the map where its really quick , then i try to plan out the steps i will take for the final generation on the large size as each step tacks on another gig or  2 of ram usage if your painting bioms inside the map generator on a large map

which is great if you want it to follow the height restrictions and cliff ratio and stuff, we can still use that and periodicaly export the biom image and start fresh. import heightmap>drop dirt> import biom img> continue painting bioms till memory limit> save biom img>repeat

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I'm attempting to use the biome "Paint Mode" and each time I click it just says updating map.  Nothing appears.  Can anyone assist?

21 minutes ago, Lichbane said:

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I'm attempting to use the biome "Paint Mode" and each time I click it just says updating map.  Nothing appears.  Can anyone assist?

keep an eye on the console window if it says something like 0 seconds to calc you might be clicking on a cliff/rock area or you are clicking above or below the min/max height thats set or the "around water" is still checked and the altitude is to low, it can only spread to grass tiles within height range, to get really acurate in paint mode set view to topo so it will spread from the exact spot you click, also increase the max height to the map max, and i think you can get exact altitude info from right clicking

With what attitude I can make the world a bit smooth. The environment is something sharp?

I've been working in Photoshop putting together the biome map for my world using the RGB pallet in the initial post  and I came across a couple anomalies in plant section of the pallet.  I want to check them out before going too much further.

1)  My initial work in WGenerator put down some pine trees to use them as a guide.  When sampling the pine trees color in PS (placed by WGenerator), they had an RGB of 40,56,13.  The pallet says they should be 41,58,13.  Which value is correct?

2) The RGB in the pallet for BUSH is 58,58,0 but all other bushes and trees are are 41,58,x.  Is the BUSH RGB a typo or is it correct?

3) What is CLIFF used for?  I've sampled all the sections that are bare rock (where a cliff should be) and they translate as ROCK (114,110,107)

4) Mycelium is mentioned in the biomes in the tool, but not in the pallet.  What is it (apart from fungus)?

And on a side note ...

5) Is it possible to draw in caves (in PS or the tool) on the cave map?

Edited by Lichbane
Added cave question.

On 1/14/2016 at 11:23 AM, Hanver said:

With what attitude I can make the world a bit smooth. The environment is something sharp?

That is based on the Iterations.

The lower the number, the smoother the map. I usually play around in the 6-7 range. Gives decent definition without being too sharp.

On 1/15/2016 at 9:57 AM, Lichbane said:

I've been working in Photoshop putting together the biome map for my world using the RGB pallet in the initial post  and I came across a couple anomalies in plant section of the pallet.  I want to check them out before going too much further.

1)  My initial work in WGenerator put down some pine trees to use them as a guide.  When sampling the pine trees color in PS (placed by WGenerator), they had an RGB of 40,56,13.  The pallet says they should be 41,58,13.  Which value is correct?

2) The RGB in the pallet for BUSH is 58,58,0 but all other bushes and trees are are 41,58,x.  Is the BUSH RGB a typo or is it correct?

3) What is CLIFF used for?  I've sampled all the sections that are bare rock (where a cliff should be) and they translate as ROCK (114,110,107)

4) Mycelium is mentioned in the biomes in the tool, but not in the pallet.  What is it (apart from fungus)?

And on a side note ...

Is anyone able to advise?  It's my understanding the RGB number need to be spot-on accurate and I'm being told different values in PS.

On 1/15/2016 at 4:57 PM, Lichbane said:

And on a side note ...

1) All the trees are read in with (41,58,x) value

2) Bushes changed to (58,58,x) to tell them apart from trees

3) Cliff is a tile type in the API and I was asked to include it (even though it doesn't get auto generated)

4) http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Mycelium 

5) No, biome map is separate

You might check which version you're using, and see if it's the latest. I know the bushes used to have similar values to trees, but they were updated.

• Like 1

Thank you Eitr.  I can continue and start to put down my forests now.

Oh ... one other question.  How does the TREE biome work?  Does it just grow a random tree type in that location?

Edited by Lichbane

49 minutes ago, Lichbane said:

Thank you Eitr.  I can continue and start to put down my forests now.

Oh ... one other question.  How does the TREE biome work?  Does it just grow a random tree type in that location?

Generating a quick map to test it that appears to be what it's doing.

I'd imagine the "BUSH" boime does the same thing.

• Like 1