Sign in to follow this  
Eitr

Map Generator 2.9 [supports Wurm 1.4]

2097152KB = 2.097GB which is past the 2048 you've set. Try increasing the -Xmx2048m to 3072 or 4096 and you should be able to generate fine.

No luck there either. If I use 2000m it tries to allocate 2048 due to the conversion from decimal to hex AFAIK. The problem is my system is refusing to release the memory to java even though resource manager is showing 4330m free after boot up.

No luck there either. If I use 2000m it tries to allocate 2048 due to the conversion from decimal to hex AFAIK. The problem is my system is refusing to release the memory to java even though resource manager is showing 4330m free after boot up.

The 2000 to 2048 makes sense, it just rounds it up to the nearest number of bytes.

Did you by any chance disable your page file (virtual memory)? I know some people like to run with a setup like that but it causes problems for certain applications, this might be one of them.

The only other thing I can think of is that there is a global Java setting taking precedence over your command-line although it shouldn't work that way. In your Windows Control Panel under Programs should be an entry for Java. Open that up and go the Java tab and click the View button there. It will show you the installed Java versions and you can add runtime parameters there. I'm not saying that will fix it, hopefully someone with more Java experience comes along and will tell you what's going on.

- edit

And one other thing, make sure you are using a 64-bit Java. 2048 would be the limit of a 32-bit version so if you're using that, that's the cause of the error.

Edited by BadLuckBurt
  • Like 1

The 2000 to 2048 makes sense, it just rounds it up to the nearest number of bytes.

- edit

And one other thing, make sure you are using a 64-bit Java. 2048 would be the limit of a 32-bit version so if you're using that, that's the cause of the error.

• Like 1

This is my issue when I try and give this tool more ram.

C:\Users\MegaTarre>java -Xmx4096m -jar WGenerator.jar

Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx4096m

The specified size exceeds the maximum representable size.

Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.

Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

My java version:

C:\Users\MegaTarre> java -version

java version "1.8.0_65"

Javaâ„¢ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)

Java HotSpotâ„¢ Client VM (build 25.65-b01, mixed mode)

This is my issue when I try and give this tool more ram.

C:\Users\MegaTarre>java -Xmx4096m -jar WGenerator.jar

Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx4096m

The specified size exceeds the maximum representable size.

Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.

Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

My java version:

C:\Users\MegaTarre> java -version

java version "1.8.0_65"

Javaâ„¢ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)

Java HotSpotâ„¢ Client VM (build 25.65-b01, mixed mode)

I fixed my own issue, I had a 32 bit java installed not a 64bit.

I'll make a note in the first post, hopefully that helps people in the future

• Like 1

Ok so I got the memory thing dealt with but now the problem is the generator more or less keeps making the same square shaped packed with mountains and dotted with lakes map no matter what settings I use.

Something strange in dirt drop, generator v2.4.2. By a couple of maps there appeared two lines of discontinuity in the height of the dirt layer. One vertical from center of top edge to center of bottom edge, the other left to right, edge center to edge center.

According to that thread it's an issue with the game code. Will see what I can do

Something strange in dirt drop, generator v2.4.2. By a couple of maps there appeared two lines of discontinuity in the height of the dirt layer. One vertical from center of top edge to center of bottom edge, the other left to right, edge center to edge center.

Update to the latest version. The drop dirt issues have been fixed. Also, new features  :)

No they specifically stated it is an issue with map generators not seeding flowers - they are adding random seeding hopefully for no flower maps only so that generators can still control the seeding.   Many players want to make unique biomes and not have everything randomly everywhere.

Updated to v2.6.2, no dirt shear lines anymore, fine eitr.

But there is something else. Generate a height map, then drop first just a little dirt say 20, then drop say 150 and compare the smoothness of the generated dirt layers depth 20 and depth 150. The latter would be very hard to walk upon.

No they specifically stated it is an issue with map generators not seeding flowers - they are adding random seeding hopefully for no flower maps only so that generators can still control the seeding.   Many players want to make unique biomes and not have everything randomly everywhere.

• Like 1

Update 2.8 - Flowers!

Added flower types (1-15) to biomes.

Added random flower type selection.

Added flower percent chance input.

- Flowers must be grown on grass tiles

Improved Biome growth function.

- More accurately spreads biome (less patchy the closer to 100% growth)

- CAUTION: seeding large biomes may cause long computation times (growth tries harder to spread now)

- If you want big biomes reduce the seed count

Added Biome view that shows the biome colors (same as exported image).

Added Tree, Bush, and Snow tile types.

Added the following biome import colors:

TREE:(41,58,1)

BUSH:(58,58,0)

CLIFF:(155,151,148)

SNOW:(255,255,255)

WOODEN_PLANKS:(114,102,80)

STONE_SLABS:(99,99,99)

SLATE_SLABS:(99,99,98)

MARBLE_SLABS:(99,99,97)

COBBLESTONE:(92,83,73)

ROUGH_COBBLESTONE:(92,83,74)

ROUND_COBBLESTONE:(92,83,75)

COBBLESTONE_NW:(92,83,76)

COBBLESTONE_NE:(92,83,77)

COBBLESTONE_SE:(92,83,78)

COBBLESTONE_SW:(92,83,79)

FLOWERS:(220,250,51-65)

Action files are not compatible with previous versions

• Like 1

• Added import/export 16bit grayscale .png height maps (credit to Xeon)

My 16bit greyscale png image imports are covered in a cross hatching. :/

It is really irritating to use the program in a 32 bit OS, not to be able to work with larger than 2048 maps!

Could the out of memory in java heap be avoided, like paging the heap to HD, processing in smaller hunks or what ever......

Edited by www

My 16bit greyscale png image imports are covered in a cross hatching. :/

are you sure its in greyscale and not rgb? other thing would be to flatten the image before you save it.  or make sure theres a locked layer at the bottom

• Like 1

If repost, can't be asked to check if i shared this already.

Make heightmap with our Wgen, open it with http://www.decarpentier.nl/scape , get frustrated for a while til you master it.... THEN go back to the site, there's this nvidia tool, i have yet to test it, but this guy provides some algorithms you can use for some pretty realistic distortion effects on mountains and such.  The simple Scape itself though, you can do a LOT with it.  Use the "GPU" brushes btw, the other ones ain't that effective, at least not in my PC.  You'll see what I mean.

Now, a request.

If it could do more than one dirt drop without basically just starting a new one.  In short, "add 60 dirts up to 1000 height, then drop 40 dirt from 750 height to 2000 heights".... imagine the maps.. =D  (If doable, if answer is FU i'll understand, code is a tricky mistress hence why i never got deep into programming).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mordraug said:

Make heightmap with our Wgen, open it with http://www.decarpentier.nl/scape , get frustrated for a while til you master it.... THEN go back to the site, there's this nvidia tool, i have yet to test it, but this guy provides some algorithms you can use for some pretty realistic distortion effects on mountains and such.  The simple Scape itself though, you can do a LOT with it.  Use the "GPU" brushes btw, the other ones ain't that effective, at least not in my PC.  You'll see what I mean.

Very nice tool. I only played around with it a little bit but it seems quite powerful. I'll have to see how it translates to Wurm scale, some other terrains I've made were way too bumpy and made travel a pain.

17 hours ago, Mordraug said:

If repost, can't be asked to check if i shared this already.

Now, a request.

If it could do more than one dirt drop without basically just starting a new one.  In short, "add 60 dirts up to 1000 height, then drop 40 dirt from 750 height to 2000 heights".... imagine the maps.. =D  (If doable, if answer is FU i'll understand, code is a tricky mistress hence why i never got deep into programming).

I was using scape as well. I wish it would scale the wurm maps better because in scape you will have this steep slope but in wurm its actually a gradual slope. Its like the map is scrunched up in scape. I was mostly using it for smoothing out the bumpy terrain that all the generators seem to make and also create mountains.

It would be awesome if we could do the same things in wurm generator as scape.

• Like 1

If anybody knows, will the server automatically create/place source springs, source fountains and ordinary water source tiles (where wells can be built) or should the map generator create them?

I am trying to make a new map, and after I set up the heightmap and drop the dirt I get this message.  Not really sure what is wrong with it, it was working fine last night.

java.io.IOException: The system cannot find the path specified
 at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
 at java.io.File.createNewFile(Unknown Source)
 at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.MapData.createMap(MapData.java:74)
 at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.MapData.<init>(MapData.java:40)
 at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.WurmAPI.<init>(WurmAPI.java:49)
 at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.WurmAPI.create(WurmAPI.java:26)
 at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.getAPI(MainWindow.java:2420)
 at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateAPIMap(MainWindow.java:2463)
 at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateMapView(MainWindow.java:2443)
 at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.actionDropDirt(MainWindow.java:1765)
 at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow$34$1.run(MainWindow.java:1487)
Exception in thread "Thread-3" java.lang.NullPointerException
 at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateAPIMap(MainWindow.java:2463)
 at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateMapView(MainWindow.java:2443)
 at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.actionDropDirt(MainWindow.java:1765)
 at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow$34$1.run(MainWindow.java:1487)
I am using Wgenerator.

Edited by Taijyn
forgot to add program

12 hours ago, Taijyn said:

I am trying to make a new map, and after I set up the heightmap and drop the dirt I get this message.  Not really sure what is wrong with it, it was working fine last night.

java.io.IOException: The system cannot find the path specified
 at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
 at java.io.File.createNewFile(Unknown Source)
I am using Wgenerator.

That happens when the program failed to save the map folder. Check if you have write permission in that folder, or try running the program from an admin command prompt.