Sign in to follow this  
Eitr

Map Generator 2.9 [supports Wurm 1.4]

Drop biom at marker - most wanted feature by a far.

*20000 tries later trying to get a biom in the correct spot*

Try doing it in topo view if you haven't yet. A lot more accurate  :P

also make sure you have the right heights in the values  n max slope and uncheck the "around water level" :P ,

Edited by Aum

A few pages back, Uberknot mentioned getting a dirt grid, separating the map into 4 sections, which would be more pronounced by dropping thicker dirt layers.  I barely notice at 30 dirt and under, but try dropping 100+ dirt and it gets really noticeable. Is this still happening?  I have yet to download the latest version and test though.

Feature request:

1. Erosion Zones, or painting.  I would like to have some mountains look very rugged or jagged, then others much smoother looking. 

2. Mountain max height fix for flat topping - Make it so that achieving max height is progressively less likely, when further away from the mountain center.

a. Options for choosing mountains to be more likely craters or cone heads, or a mix of both, essentially reversing the option above for crater tops.

3. Caves.  Yes, we all hated deeding over someone's old caves and having to hire a Mag to come fix it for us, but in an effort to add realism, I think we should add a "biome" setting for making random caves of random sizes.  This might not be possible with a map generator, but just a thought.

THANK YOU!!! This (and the original from Budda) map generator is fantastic!

Edit: and I would love an "undo" or back button that can undo multiple biome changes, not just the very last one.  I let one get past me and my only fix was to wipe the slate clean, after 6 hours of landscaping.  Not complaining, as it was all in the learning process and having a blast doing it :)  Just a suggestion.

Edited by Wurmhole

A few pages back, Uberknot mentioned getting a dirt grid, separating the map into 4 sections, which would be more pronounced by dropping thicker dirt layers.  I barely notice at 30 dirt and under, but try dropping 100+ dirt and it gets really noticeable. Is this still happening?  I have yet to download the latest version and test though.

Feature request:

1. Erosion Zones, or painting.  I would like to have some mountains look very rugged or jagged, then others much smoother looking. 

2. Mountain max height fix for flat topping - Make it so that achieving max height is progressively less likely, when further away from the mountain center.

a. Options for choosing mountains to be more likely craters or cone heads, or a mix of both, essentially reversing the option above for crater tops.

3. Caves.  Yes, we all hated deeding over someone's old caves and having to hire a Mag to come fix it for us, but in an effort to add realism, I think we should add a "biome" setting for making random caves of random sizes.  This might not be possible with a map generator, but just a thought.

THANK YOU!!! This (and the original from Budda) map generator is fantastic!

I second this, and third the painting feature! That would be neat

• Like 1

also make sure you have the right heights in the values  n max slope and uncheck the "around water level" :P ,

Oh I have.

If I select "Biom Seed" 100 - it gets splashed into the spot I want...but also at 30 other places I don't want it.

If I select Biom Seed 1 (one forest) - I get no forest at all (landed in the ocean?)

Running over and over a hundred times....I finally get one forest on land...in the wrong location....

Oh I have.

If I select "Biom Seed" 100 - it gets splashed into the spot I want...but also at 30 other places I don't want it.

If I select Biom Seed 1 (one forest) - I get no forest at all (landed in the ocean?)

Running over and over a hundred times....I finally get one forest on land...in the wrong location....

I've decided I need to go through and uncheck all the biomes "around water" setting.  I find it causes me to make too many mistakes.

• Like 1

a couple of thoughts

could the map sizes be simply multiples of 1024, like 1024, 2048, 3072, 4096, 5020, 6044, ...

the rivers come to look kind of unnatural with the current tool. could it be possible to run a mini terrain generator along the river path and let it generate the river and the valleys along it, so that the river, its shores and the river valley have random and variable widths and steepnesses?

Edit: and I would love an "undo" or back button that can undo multiple biome changes, not just the very last one.  I let one get past me and my only fix was to wipe the slate clean, after 6 hours of landscaping.  Not complaining, as it was all in the learning process and having a blast doing it :)  Just a suggestion.

wait... so it keeps a history of all the actions I perform?  I was just thinking for some reason it was saving my settings/values, but not every paint action I perform.  If every action, this solves it :)

So to be clear, I set sand to 1000 seed count and specify water levels, to create my beaches, then I switch sand to paint mode and start drawing in my desert areas... Save Actions will keep a record of both the beach sand action and each manually painted in biome I did?

Thanks!!

Other than loading actions. Is there a way to continue a project or update an existing one once WGenerator is closed?

Other than loading actions. Is there a way to continue a project or update an existing one once WGenerator is closed?

wait... so it keeps a history of all the actions I perform?  I was just thinking for some reason it was saving my settings/values, but not every paint action I perform.  If every action, this solves it :)

So to be clear, I set sand to 1000 seed count and specify water levels, to create my beaches, then I switch sand to paint mode and start drawing in my desert areas... Save Actions will keep a record of both the beach sand action and each manually painted in biome I did?

Thanks!!

Yes, the part where you can import a heightmap and save the map files also lets you save the actions or reload them. You can also clear them in case you want to save the steps separately, I have different files for terrain, bushes and trees.

If you look at the .act file, the steps you undid have a line below them that says NULL in it. It's completely safe to delete those in order to speed up the generation process.

"Save Project", "load project" would be nice to have, in addition to saving the individual components.

Would love to be able to save customized settings for for each biome type and give it a name.  Save my beaches setting, save my higher elevation trees, my fruit trees, etc.  Save a setting of each biome on random/seeding and also for painting.  Right now, I am hand recording all my settings that produce results I like.

Creating the maps is as fun as anything I have done while actually playing the game. :)

Your biome settings are stored in a config text file if you export them under Actions. That way when you load the program your previous biome settings will be loaded. Currently the settings are global, and not stored under each map so that you can use them across maps. If you wanted separate settings you can go to the config folder and rename the biome text file so it doesn't overwrite it.

I added buttons for loading and saving the biome files and moved the save/load code to them, but it seems like i have messed up my github....

@Eitr: i guess you can figure it out easily if you want :)

http://imgur.com/cgwsEi3

JPanel panel_27 = new JPanel();
panel_8.add(panel_27, BorderLayout.NORTH);

comboBox_biomeType = new JComboBox(new Tile[] { Tile.TILE_CLAY, Tile.TILE_DIRT, Tile.TILE_DIRT_PACKED, Tile.TILE_GRASS, Tile.TILE_GRAVEL, Tile.TILE_KELP,
Tile.TILE_LAVA, Tile.TILE_MARSH, Tile.TILE_MOSS, Tile.TILE_MYCELIUM, Tile.TILE_PEAT, Tile.TILE_REED, Tile.TILE_SAND, Tile.TILE_STEPPE,
Tile.TILE_TAR, Tile.TILE_TUNDRA, Tile.TILE_TREE_APPLE, Tile.TILE_TREE_BIRCH, Tile.TILE_TREE_CEDAR, Tile.TILE_TREE_CHERRY, Tile.TILE_TREE_CHESTNUT,
Tile.TILE_TREE_FIR, Tile.TILE_TREE_LEMON, Tile.TILE_TREE_LINDEN, Tile.TILE_TREE_MAPLE, Tile.TILE_TREE_OAK, Tile.TILE_TREE_OLIVE, Tile.TILE_TREE_PINE,
Tile.TILE_TREE_WALNUT, Tile.TILE_TREE_WILLOW, Tile.TILE_BUSH_CAMELLIA, Tile.TILE_BUSH_GRAPE, Tile.TILE_BUSH_LAVENDER, Tile.TILE_BUSH_OLEANDER,
Tile.TILE_BUSH_ROSE, Tile.TILE_BUSH_THORN
});
// panel_27.setBackground(Color.yellow);
btnLoadBiomes = new JButton("Load");
panel_27.add(btnLoadBiomes);
btnLoadBiomes.addActionListener(new ActionListener() {
public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) {
actionLoadBiomevalues ();
}
});
btnSaveBiomes = new JButton("Save");
panel_27.add(btnSaveBiomes);
btnSaveBiomes.addActionListener(new ActionListener() {
public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) {
actionSaveBiomeValues ();
}
});

public void actionLoadBiomevalues () {

startLoading("Loading Biome Values");
try {
File BiomeValueFile;

JFileChooser fc = new JFileChooser();
fc.setCurrentDirectory(new File("."));

int returnVal = fc.showDialog(null, "Load Biome Values");

if (returnVal == JFileChooser.APPROVE_OPTION) {
BiomeValueFile = fc.getSelectedFile();
textField_mapName.setText(BiomeValueFile.getParentFile().getName());
actionsFileDirectory = BiomeValueFile.getParentFile().getAbsolutePath();

FileReader fr = new FileReader(BiomeValueFile);
BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(fr);

String s;

for (int bt=0;bt<36; bt++){
s = br.readLine();
if (s!=null){
String[] parts = s.split(",");
for (int bv = 0; bv < 14; bv++)
BiomeOptionValue[bt][bv]=parts[bv];
}
}
fr.close();
comboBox_biomeType.setSelectedIndex(12);
}
} catch (IOException ex) {
System.err.println("Loading Biome Values failed: "+ex.toString());
} finally {
stopLoading();
}
}

public void actionSaveBiomeValues () {
if (tileMap == null) {
JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "TileMap does not exist - Add Dirt first", "Error Saving Map", JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE);
return;
}

startLoading("Saving Biome Values");
try {
JFileChooser fc = new JFileChooser();
fc.setCurrentDirectory(new File("."));
fc.setSelectedFile(new File("BiomeValues.txt"));
// fc.setFileFilter(new TextFileView());
// fc.setAcceptAllFileFilterUsed(false);
int returnVal = fc.showSaveDialog(this);
if (returnVal != JFileChooser.APPROVE_OPTION) {
return;
}

File BiomeValueFile = fc.getSelectedFile();
BiomeValueFile.createNewFile();

BufferedWriter bw = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(BiomeValueFile));

String biotxt;
try {
FileWriter fw = new FileWriter(BiomeValueFile);
for (int bt=0;bt<36; bt++){
for (int bv = 0; bv < 14; bv++) {
biotxt=BiomeOptionValue[bt][bv];
fw.write(biotxt);
if (bv<13)
fw.write(",");
}
fw.write("\r\n");
}
fw.close();
}
catch (IOException ex){
System.err.println("Saving BiomeValues.txt failed: "+ex.toString());
}

bw.close();

} catch (IOException ex) {
System.err.println("Saving Biome values failed: "+ex.toString());
} finally {
stopLoading();
}
}

Edited by Snowtech
  • Like 1

sounds like you need to add in more dirt its in the "dirt/water" tab and you need to increase the "dirt per tile" setting 

Update 2.6.2 - Save/Load Biome Values

Added save/load biomes buttons

- Manually import/export biome value files for increased flexibility

- Save Global Biomes will export the biome values to the file that gets auto-loaded at start (/config/biome_values.txt)

Fixed map files breaking after doing another action after saving the map files

when you click save images, or save actions ect it breaks the map untill you hit save map files as the last thing u do

Edited by Eitr
  • Like 2

You folks are awesome!  Ok, not perfectly polished, but good enough to load it and go do a GM fly over I think.  My first completed map.  One thing I'd like to redo a bit is the flora biomes - they seem to come out a bit checkerboard-ish.  I can tweak that though.

Features: 

- Dropped dirt will be almost all rideable slopes.

- normal clay along shores, but a few random clays dropped inland and even on mountains (pretend there are mountain springs near)

- Ground type biomes set by elevations.  Tundra highest and sand lowest.

- Flora set to elevations.  Evergreens higher and Fruit/Nut trees lower.

- River tool used to open routes to most inland water & sculpt some land to reduce some of the "square" look of the map.

Map image:

New%20Darq%20Starting%20Map_zpsy9ylxr7n.

• Like 1

you must select paint mode which disables the seed count.  then click the mouse on the map where you want the center of your biom

please try these settings in the picture then click somewhere near the coast like i have, i think youll start to get a feel for how it works

paint mode is checked

biome size is 50 which is the size of the sand u see

biome density is at 1 which means it will be quite solid

max slope is 30 so so the biom will not go on grass tiles more than 30 thats why there is grass spots in the desert still

min height is 50 so it will go below the water and

max height is 1500 it will not go past this (the map height is 2000 in this map)

growth min/max is set to 100 this will make a solid square biome, you can turn this down to get more random circles to fill the in the edges but with less solidity

around water (+/-) is unchecked

bioms do not cross the cliff tiles, and can not be painted on rock

Gotta get myself a new version I see, mine does not have "paint mode", paint mode seems awsome.

Edited by Jukken
  • Like 1

Guess I am not doing something right I keep getting heap space out of memory errors regardless of size and passes done. Tried running from CMD but it says too small initial heap.

Guess I am not doing something right I keep getting heap space out of memory errors regardless of size and passes done. Tried running from CMD but it says too small initial heap.

What options are you using at the command line?

The ones that are in the first post about the memory error.

Personally, I've been making maps from a laptop that is roughly 5 years old - duo core w/ 3g ram.

I set it so that java acquires 1g of ram via the cmd/dos prompt.

I do find that I can sometimes cap out on memory if I'm working on a 4096 map, but have no troubles at all spitting out 2048 maps. Average ram usage during 2048 creations is about 40% of my 1gb.