Sign in to follow this  
Eitr

Map Generator 2.9 [supports Wurm 1.4]

Update 2.5.2

Fixed dirt drop not smoothing at max height.

Fixed cliff ratio bug.

Fixed map name bug.

ajxeLrm.png

• Like 1

"Update map name" seems to just hang now. making you have to force quit.

and yeah the cliff ratio :P

painting in topo is excellent!

rivers are also awesome but i i lost both my maps from the rename bug x)

Sorry  :(  That's what I get for copy/pasting fixes.

psshhh they were test maps, and then i tested a few more just to make sure :P

dont forget to add cliff ratio to the map_actions save and load stuff, seems to be missing!  (will need this for load actions to work properly when painting biomes) else they end up looking not right and going places they didnt before

but i am gonna have lots of fun tmrw with these updates =)))))

thank you Eitr!

@BadLuckBurt: ad. 8-bit height map.... Yes, it is accurately what I need. This is kind of voxelization. Ready to sculpturing, adding new objects by some brushes in any editor and then smoothing to 16-bit format. I need only 4 smooth mountains in specified plots on my map not all the random bias. I need also specified hand made see coastline.

@yarnevk: ^^^ I have used GIMP 2.8.6 "Export" to PNG and "Replace..." options. I got 8-bit result from 16-bit source. But I try 2.8.14.

Just tested: GIMP 2.8.14 does 8-bit grayscale too. Also in native file format. (30 MB -> 4 MB or 12 MB in XCF). GIMP cuts pallete to 8-bit when opens PNG image - look at histogram.

Many thanks @Eitr. It has solved 1/3 of my actual problems. Next two problems are with smooth mountain adding in specified place and protecting shoreline from random bias.

BTW errors: 1.06 GB of memory used, Java 64-bit. So this is not Windows memory broblem but java memory problems.

Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.MapData.createMapDump(MapData.java:465)

at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateMapView(MainWindow.java:2050)

at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.actionDropDirt(MainWindow.java:1561)

at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow$32$1.run(MainWindow.java:1322)

Edited by Darkregis

Much Better, great job with the dirt.  getting better!

rivers look like they need some localized erosion or smoothing but a nice feature!

Edited by Uberknot

One other thing that might be interesting is a center of map weight function that starts in the middle and goes outward like the border weight to create lower middle of map as well.  Even being able to set additional weights at specified points to adjust the map would be neat.  I know probably a bit much asking for specified weighted area's, but the center weight outward would be an awesome feature  to have.   That way you could set border and center weights and end up with a nice ring of mountains.

Edited by Uberknot

Anyone else getting issues with dirt dropping whereby you only appear to get 1 or 2 dirt dropped? Maps are generated using default settings.

Much Better, great job with the dirt.  getting better!

rivers look like they need some localized erosion or smoothing but a nice feature!

One other thing that might be interesting is a center of map weight function that starts in the middle and goes outward like the border weight to create lower middle of map as well.  Even being able to set additional weights at specified points to adjust the map would be neat.  I know probably a bit much asking for specified weighted area's, but the center weight outward would be an awesome feature  to have.   That way you could set border and center weights and end up with a nice ring of mountains.

Hm, I was going to leave erosion up to the user, but a localized smooth over probably wouldn't hurt. And a checkbox for reverse border weight could work. 

@BadLuckBurt: ad. 8-bit height map.... Yes, it is accurately what I need. This is kind of voxelization. Ready to sculpturing, adding new objects by some brushes in any editor and then smoothing to 16-bit format. I need only 4 smooth mountains in specified plots on my map not all the random bias. I need also specified hand made see coastline.

BTW errors: 1.06 GB of memory used, Java 64-bit. So this is not Windows memory broblem but java memory problems.

Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.MapData.createMapDump(MapData.java:465)

at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateMapView(MainWindow.java:2050)

We have very different tastes when it comes to terrain features, you want what I try to avoid at all costs :)

You should be able to fix the heap space error by assigning more memory to Java, I had the same thing happen on a 8192x8192 when seeding biomes.

Created a quick map last night using the tool. It's really cool and the work put into it is greatly appreciated.

Made some rivers:

http://imgur.com/a/85HZ9

Saved actions etc and went to bed with the intent to finish off biomes this morning. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be anyway to get my river map back again. Loading action file doesn't result in rivers being on the map. Haven't found another way to restore what I made without drawing on rivers again.

Any ideas?

~Nappy

This is from the 2.5 release notes:

- Rivers are not compatible with the Actions import/export (save the heightmap before/after editing, then import later).

@yarnevk: ^^^ I have used GIMP 2.8.6 "Export" to PNG and "Replace..." options. I got 8-bit result from 16-bit source. But I try 2.8.14.

Just tested: GIMP 2.8.14 does 8-bit grayscale too. Also in native file format. (30 MB -> 4 MB or 12 MB in XCF). GIMP cuts pallete to 8-bit when opens PNG image - look at histogram.

GIMP 2.9 in the dev branch is what you need.  2.8.6 is not the latest GIMP

If you want to paint terrain check out WorldPainter for MineCraft, it now converts to Wurm, see the thread in this forum.

Edited by yarnevk

Anyone else getting issues with dirt dropping whereby you only appear to get 1 or 2 dirt dropped? Maps are generated using default settings.

Yes

This is from the 2.5 release notes:

- Rivers are not compatible with the Actions import/export (save the heightmap before/after editing, then import later).

Missed that part. Thanks for the update. I redid the rivers and made them even better this time (IMHO- grin).

~Nappy

Rivers are not that bad if you use lower variables when making them btw.  I have been testing a bit.

Once you start getting 5 and over is where you would start seeing more of a ragged edging happening.

Things like 2/1/4  1/2/3  3/2/5  etc are not that bad at all and could be easily smoothed using the normal erosion.

If you punch in 3.1.15 or 1.2.30 etc....which makes the river thinner the slopes start showing up.

I have taken a bunch of SS's to show what I am testing all on the same area making a river.

With a terrain smoothing erosion from the water up on the area you draw the steeper sloped rivers that would make thinner rivers look much better and keep them thinner.normal erosion does the whole map.  perhaps a tool like paint erosion would work the same as the paint river function?

Over all I am really happy with what you have done so far.

http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/jimdeedler/media/river%202.1.3_zpsaiewmh5c.png.html

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 1

Getting this error code when dropping dirt.

java.io.IOException: The system cannot find the path specified

at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
at java.io.File.createNewFile(Unknown Source)
at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.MapData.createMap(MapData.java:74)
at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.MapData.(MapData.java:40)
at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.WurmAPI.(WurmAPI.java:49)
at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.WurmAPI.create(WurmAPI.java:26)
at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.getAPI(MainWindow.java:2011)
at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateAPIMap(MainWindow.java:2060)
at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateMapView(MainWindow.java:2042)
Exception in thread "Thread-4" java.lang.NullPointerException

I have played a bit with the generator, made some changes to store the biome values in an array and writing/reading it to/from disk.

https://github.com/Snowtech2/WGenerator

@Eitr, feel free to include it in the main branch if you want.

I'm still at noob level with github, so I haven't figured out how to upload the .jar file yet.

Snow

Edited by Snowtech
  • Like 1

Hi, I have been using this tool for a couple of days now, I updated to your 2.5 this afternoon, now everytime I try to drop dirt (trying 100 and tried other numbers too), after saving it all and getting in the game, it is only dropping 2 dirt.

Thanks for the great mod. :)

Getting this error code when dropping dirt.

java.io.IOException: The system cannot find the path specified

at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)

at java.io.File.createNewFile(Unknown Source)

at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.MapData.createMap(MapData.java:74)

at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.MapData.(MapData.java:40)

at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.WurmAPI.(WurmAPI.java:49)

at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.WurmAPI.create(WurmAPI.java:26)

at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.getAPI(MainWindow.java:2011)

Exception in thread "Thread-4" java.lang.NullPointerException

Make sure the program is in a writable folder. If you have to, try running a command prompt as admin then executing the program (java -jar WGenerator.jar).

I have played a bit with the generator, made some changes to store the biome values in an array and writing/reading it to/from disk.

https://github.com/Snowtech2/WGenerator

@Eitr, feel free to include it in the main branch if you want.

I'm still at noob level with github, so I haven't figured out how to upload the .jar file yet.

Snow

Thanks, I'll get that in on the next release.

Also I'm looking into the dirt issue. It seems the cliff ratio is removing too much dirt now.

I'll update this once I'm done, but just tossing this out there for people as a point of reference...

A 16x16 takes ~92GB of RAM to generate.   :D

Eitr, don't suppose you'd be willing to make 32x32 an option?

Edited by Nezz_Jaran
  • Like 1

Update 2.5.3 - Fixes

Added localized erosion on rivers.
Added cliff ratio and land slide to actions.
Fixed drop dirt only dropping 1 dirt. 

Thanks everyone for finding bugs so fast. Hopefully this is the last time I have to fix the dirt.

I'll update this once I'm done, but just tossing this out there for people as a point of reference...
A 16x16 takes ~92GB of RAM to generate.   :D

Eitr, don't suppose you'd be willing to make 32x32 an option?

If you can successfully generate one I'd be happy to  :P

• Like 1

If you can successfully generate one I'd be happy to  :P

I was able to generate a 16x16 without any issues.  I'll definitely start paging on a 32x32, but PCI-E SSDs help with that.  Here's where I ended up on the 16x16

KwQJ04R.png

• Like 1

I was able to generate a 16x16 without any issues.  I'll definitely start paging on a 32x32, but PCI-E SSDs help with that.  Here's where I ended up on the 16x16

KwQJ04R.png

Oh you weren't kidding. I hope you can page ~238gb worth (according to your math). The real problem is getting a server to host a map that big.

howdy, i been using this since the day it hit and i love it, however here lately i am seeing a trend and its like nails on a chalk board to me.

Take a look at this map....

SxX5eqT.jpg

Neato, but square.  No matter how many times i go through it, even with a seed i manually input, its square. There may be some varied areas, but its still pretty much square.

Is there something i am doing wrong here?  It did not do this until 2.2.  Hundreds of generations later, the map comes out roughly the same, nice and square. Perhaps its something i am not setting properly?