Sign in to follow this  
Eitr

Map Generator 2.9 [supports Wurm 1.4]

2 hours ago, Forgedrake said:

no I did that it still won't go over 2.66 - 2.99 it locks at that even though I've told it to use 4 8 and 16 gigs it locks at that number 2. I even deleted then reinstalled java just to make sure - my computer says it can use 8gigs atm but moment the in game clock hits 2.99 it locks and error messages me even though it has 5 more gigs to work with my systems showing it only at 22-26% resources even though it still thinks it only has 2.66gigs - its something with the viewer it locks up only then not the far more intensive sculpting that can drive it up to 70% and it doesn't lock up then

It sounds like you're using 32-bit Java. Make sure to install the 64-bit version instead, that should fix your problem.

• Like 1

no I'm not running 32 bit all my java programs need 64 bit

I just switched to a world painter tool and skipped it

now I'm just trying to figure out how to make the world less bumpy

Could you add the ability to paint ore deposits? It would help out in making PvP maps.

i have a problem and i cannot find a solution...when i use the tile_tree selection it only generates birch trees...how can i get it to generate random trees in a group?

like  oak and linden trees in one forest.

i love using the tool but this is a big problem for me.

Nice program but where can I read about how to use it?

I encounter a lot of problems trying to make a map. I've not found a manual or even a readme file.

After a quick look through, I didn't see anyone pose this questions. If its already been asked, I apologize.

I just started using this tool to create custom maps yesterday. Before I start a server with a new map I always reset the database. I noticed that on every map I've created so far that I have been unable to forage or botanize. EVERY square has the picked clean message.

Did I miss something in the tool (Biome perhaps?), or is it due to resetting the DB and things just need time to repopulate?

SOLVED: It took about 4 hours, but then everything began to repopulate.

Edited by Moordrake

5 hours ago, Moordrake said:

After a quick look through, I didn't see anyone pose this questions. If its already been asked, I apologize.

I just started using this tool to create custom maps yesterday. Before I start a server with a new map I always reset the database. I noticed that on every map I've created so far that I have been unable to forage or botanize. EVERY square has the picked clean message.

Did I miss something in the tool (Biome perhaps?), or is it due to resetting the DB and things just need time to repopulate?

SOLVED: It took about 4 hours, but then everything began to repopulate.

You can also navigate to your wurm.ini file (e.g. /Creative/ directory) and change CREATESEEDS=false to CREATESEEDS=true this is much quicker.

So made a map. Did all the steps for saving the files, added ore, but when loading into game no ore. Is there a quick fix to this or does one have to reload the map and try again?

I have an ore file from another map could that be inserted? Also importing Biomes seems to mess up dirt height. 

Cheers

Edited by Bulldog

On 08/26/2016 at 10:17 PM, Bulldog said:

So made a map. Did all the steps for saving the files, added ore, but when loading into game no ore. Is there a quick fix to this or does one have to reload the map and try again?

I have an ore file from another map could that be inserted? Also importing Biomes seems to mess up dirt height. 

Cheers

Not 100% sure, but I heard that if you remove the cave.map the server will produce a random one. Do not know what ore % it will have.

You forgot to copy the ore-map, then it will be all rock.

Any time i try to drop dirt i get this error:

java.io.IOException: The system cannot find the path specified
    at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
    at java.io.File.createNewFile(Unknown Source)
    at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.MapData.createMap(MapData.java:74)
    at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.MapData.<init>(MapData.java:40)
    at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.WurmAPI.<init>(WurmAPI.java:49)
    at com.wurmonline.wurmapi.api.WurmAPI.create(WurmAPI.java:26)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.getAPI(MainWindow.java:2437)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateAPIMap(MainWindow.java:2480)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateMapView(MainWindow.java:2460)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.actionDropDirt(MainWindow.java:1782)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow$34$1.run(MainWindow.java:1504)
Exception in thread "Thread-3" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateAPIMap(MainWindow.java:2480)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.updateMapView(MainWindow.java:2460)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow.actionDropDirt(MainWindow.java:1782)
    at net.buddat.wgenerator.MainWindow$34$1.run(MainWindow.java:1504)

Anyone know of a fix for this. I've tried multiple versions and uninstalling and reinstalling java 8 update 101 64 bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS.

VKtaeMw.png

This is what I'm getting when I import my 8192 heightmap. It is 16 bit grayscale PNG. I've had this issue before with WGenerator but I had hoped that between updates and a vastly upgraded system, I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore. Any advice on this? Could this be a memory issue?

On 9/23/2016 at 1:11 PM, spacegeek said:

VKtaeMw.png

This is what I'm getting when I import my 8192 heightmap. It is 16 bit grayscale PNG. I've had this issue before with WGenerator but I had hoped that between updates and a vastly upgraded system, I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore. Any advice on this? Could this be a memory issue?

Check for any possible layers you might still have, it's better to merge them all together before saving, than trusting that the fileformat will do it correctly.

can someone help? Im trying to increase the memory but i keep getting "unable to access jarfile"

I have 64 bit java 

(fixed it) - wasnt running cmd as an administrator 

also....when adding a biome i am setting the minimum height to 3000 or so for snow but when i add it it goes on the lowest lowland and even out int he deep sea :( - how do i make it just at top of mountains? 

lastly, prob not a map gen question but is there any way to stop animals spawning in the sea? i wouldnt mind a few but theres millions of them swimming!

Edited by CountZero

On 9/23/2016 at 3:11 AM, spacegeek said:

I was getting the same thing until i deleted the alpha channel and flattened the image before exporting in GIMP. Once I did that, it worked perfectly.

• Like 1

another thing - how are ppl getting maps that are a couple of continents? whenever i adjust the resolution i just get loads of spaced out islands which i dont want at all 

Hi!

I have made some maps and played a little bit on them. Now I would like to make some changes WITHOUT loosing caves, tunnels, buildings and so on . . . Can I use the Map Generator for editing or does anybody know other tools?

//P

Hi :)

Sorry maybe Im missing something trivial, but figured I better ask.

When I make maps, there are no flowers at all. I see 2 boxes at the bottom of the biomes tab reffering to flowers, but they are both greyed out.

Ok figured out how to get them ungreyed out, by choosing grass tile from the biomes, so I added that biome thinking that some of those tiles would turn to flowers, logged into the map, still no flowers :/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Valiance and Kaylie.

Edited by Wulfrock

On 11/4/2016 at 0:18 PM, Pepsilon said:

Hi!

I have made some maps and played a little bit on them. Now I would like to make some changes WITHOUT loosing caves, tunnels, buildings and so on . . . Can I use the Map Generator for editing or does anybody know other tools?

//P

I don't know of any tool/program that will allow you to do this. However, what can work, to some degree, is making a backup of certain .map files, and then go ahead and make your changes in whatever program you use to create your world (I happen to use Worldpainter & converter), copy those newly generated files to your game world folder, and finally copy whatever backup .map files you want to keep back into your game world folder overwriting those files.

There should be five .map files:

• flags.map (I'm not sure what this one does)
  • map_cave.map (this one stores cave and tunnel information, such as what tiles are rock or ores, which have been mined out, where the mine entrances are, and, I would imagine, what buildings have been built underground such as forges)
  • resources.map (this one goes hand in hand with the map_cave.map and stores information on how many resources are left in each tile of underground rock/ore)
  • rock_layer.map (I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure this one stores information on the height of the rock/dirt layer in the overworld - i.e. how far down you have to dig through the dirt layer to get to the rock layer)
  • top_layer.map (I believe this one stores all the information concerning the top layer of your map - such as buildings, farms, roads, trees, etc.)

Knowing this you can then use a program to make changes to your map/world, copy the newly generated .map files over, and then use your backup files to copy and overwrite whatever things you want to keep. For example if you want to keep your mines, caves, and tunnels then you'll want to use your backups of both map_cave.map and resources.map instead of the newly generated ones. If you want to keep your buildings then it's the top_layer.map that you'll use.

Depending on what exactly the changes you're wanting to make to your map you may or may not be able to keep certain things. I'd just play around with the .map files, making absolutely sure you keep a backup of all your original files, and see what works for you and what doesn't.

Just wondering but could this, or any of the similar tools, take in existing layer files and convert them back into a heightmap PNG?

Edit: Well it looks like Onsdag's message just above kind of answered my question.

Edited by Adambean

Question - well two really:

1.) You can import map files, but can the program only import .png extensions?

2.) Does the PNG import come in as 8 bit or 16 bit?  

I'm trying to figure out why my imported mountains have such gentle slope when they have steep slope in the L3DT pro program i'm using.

33 minutes ago, Mithlar said:

Question - well two really:

1.) You can import map files, but can the program only import .png extensions?

2.) Does the PNG import come in as 8 bit or 16 bit?  

I'm trying to figure out why my imported mountains have such gentle slope when they have steep slope in the L3DT pro program i'm using.

16 bit grey scale is what you use. If they are coming in to short you might need to alter your black and white of the map go lighter so the white goes higher on the mountains. I had this issue as well and the work around was to alter the black and white of the map.

Thanks Arkonick.  It's not that they're short so much as you can freakin' walk up them no problem........ the slope varies between 8 to 20 when the slope should technically be higher - more in the range of 50 plus.  It is very steep in my map program (L3DT) but after using the map generator and dropping dirt, it's an easy walk up!

I have a test server up now if you care to see what i'm talking about.

When you created the map in L3DT, did you tell it to use a horizontal scale of 1 meter or 4 meters?  Wurm's tiles are 4 meter square, so if you set it to 1 meter horizontal scale in L3DT, it was stretched out 4 times as big in the horizontal directions but the heights are the same.  That makes everything look hilly rather than mountainy [technical term].

Someone here on the forums has a solution for this, but I can't remember what it was...