Sign in to follow this  
eggroll0d

Running dedicated server on separate machine

Hey all, I have a small home server I usually host game servers off of and I'm trying to figure out if I need a separate copy of the game for the server. From what I can tell I can't run both WU and a dedicated server on different computers (but you can from the same) unless there is some workaround I'm missing. And if this is the case why not? seems kind of a limiting factor, considering I'd need a second steam account and copy of the game. Any advice? suggestions? thanks!

Get the free server from your steam tools library, run that on your server computer - make sure you run it from that dedicated server directory.  The default launcher that comes with the game checks your steam login and can only run the server on same PC.

Yes I have done this, albeit unsure of the directory you are talking about. Are you saying to launcher the server from the windows directory instead of selecting it inside steam?

You could launch the dedicated server on it's own. If you're unsure where to launch it from outside of steam, then from within Steam go to Library > Tools > Right click Wurm Unlimited Dedicated server > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files . This will open the directory that contains your Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server installation. From there you can launch WurmServerLauncher.exe .

Edited by Drakeling

Yes I have done this, albeit unsure of the directory you are talking about. Are you saying to launcher the server from the windows directory instead of selecting it inside steam?

Yes, exactly. Run the server launcher from the directory as opposed to Steam and you will be able to play on your game machine without issue.

Just remember to restart the server every 4 hours or so, the CPU usage and disk writes spike like crazy around that time. The solution is known, we're just waiting on CodeClub to push it to Steam.