Sign in to follow this  
cmiddlebrook

Crater Lake - 2048 size, single landmass

This is a new map that I spent quite a lot of time working on to get just right, and is the map that I have now started playing on.

It's a single land mass designed with hunting in mind. Although the landscape is covered in forest, I found the default forest to be way too thick so you just can't see more than a few feet in front of you. After adding all of the tree biomes, I then added over half a million grass tiles of various sizes to thin out the forests.

Lastly, I added a few good sized areas of Steppe around the map as additional hunting grounds.

The zip file also includes a height map file so you can edit that in Word Painter or something similar if you wish.

Download the zip file

CraterLake.png

• Like 3

can u post a biom placement tutorial? :P im really bad at tree's and those look awesome!

can u post a biom placement tutorial? :P im really bad at tree's and those look awesome!

I could try I guess, but honestly I've just been experimenting with trial and error; I'm no expert!

I suppose I could do a walkthrough of what I did with this map, explaining my thinking at each stage if that would be helpful?

Edited by cmiddlebrook

Does this map contain all resources? Clay, tar, peat, glimmer, Adamant? All tree types?

Does this map contain all resources? Clay, tar, peat, glimmer, Adamant? All tree types?

Yes, though only very small amounts of Adamantine & Glimmersteel.

Dang it I wish blue fang solutions would allow custom maps... this is 2nd map of yours I wanted to use :(

Edited by WHoDatOne

Dang it I wish blue fang solutions would allow custom maps... this is 2nd map of yours I wanted to use :(

You mean they dont? Were you using filezilla and doing it yourself or asking them?

That map looks excellent! The only thing I'd like to see is at least one river.

Edited by ByblosHex
  • Like 1

I have spoken to them about that - they DO allow custom maps and give you full access to your server to allow you to change what you like.

• Like 1

Wow, just flew all over. Looks really great. I agree with babloshex that a river of some kind would be quite nice, though ive heard the game dosnt really like rivers. (creating them?)

Only thing im having a little trouble with is finding the random small clay deposits that make it possible to start up all around the map for multiple players.

I see a few large ones here and there, which is quite cool. Though im flying over and placing clay tiles along the map now to enable players to set up wherever they feel and not be tied to 3-4 locations i did find. I cant ask my players to travel far for such a basic early game resource. If you draw it in with some program, it would probably be easier for you to just dot a few in here and there.  If what i say sounds reasonable ofc.

Anyways, great map! Thank you for creating it=)

• Like 1

Just uploaded it to my server at bluefangsolutions, works fine.Remember to use the IP and ports they provided for the server, not the ones that come with this maps files. 

Ive also not seen the problems some of you discussed with creative values overwrithing adventure, but i might have written it back as i was setting it up. For now, 10 min in, seems to work great!

• Like 1

Uploaded on my server Tarakan.Life, opened to the public.

Nice map :)

You can come if you wanna test.

• Like 1

Only thing im having a little trouble with is finding the random small clay deposits that make it possible to start up all around the map for multiple players.

I see a few large ones here and there, which is quite cool. Though im flying over and placing clay tiles along the map now to enable players to set up wherever they feel and not be tied to 3-4 locations i did find. 

Yeah I tried to make it like WO where clay is somewhat uncommon. But the great thing about GM mode is that you can just change things as you have done :-) Glad you're enjoying it!

Uploaded on my server Tarakan.Life, opened to the public.

Nice map :)

You can come if you wanna test.

Oh yes I will do! I haven't explored the whole thing so depending on your starting area it will be nice to see other parts of it.

HEY! thats not fair! Your coming to his server but not mine?! Rarble rabble rabble *cough* Wurm Unlimited Folkvangr *cough* *fart*

Edited by Tallion

Dang, now i see what was mentioned earlier. Ive settled in a dent in the northern mountains, here there are mostly olive trees growing. Most around "Very Old" age, however, chopping them happens without a animation of it, so you just stand there and the system tell you "You chip away..". Then it vanishes and a log is left in its place. Containing between 0.80-10 KG. of wood only.

This is quite troublesome, though im hoping as new trees spawn and grow they will be normal.

EDIT: some also yield only wood scraps. Im also having alot of trouble foraging and botanizing. Seems most tiles have not recharged. (Im hoping that last part. That it will grow back as normal)

Edited by Tallion

Oh yes I will do! I haven't explored the whole thing so depending on your starting area it will be nice to see other parts of it.

Actually there are north/south/east/west and default central lakes spawn ;)

So you can visit much.

I don't plan to wipe at all and keep this server online 24/7.

So if some people are interested to settle on, you're welcome :) 

Anyone have any ideas as to why a custom map would block woodchopping animations? Not sure if there are others blocked, but ive tested on trees spawned by the server, and trees ive spawned in and grown. Using axe, no animations are played.

Id like to fix this, but ive no idea whats caused it. So if anyone knows how to fix this, id truly appreciate the help!

HEY! thats not fair! Your coming to his server but not mine?! Rarble rabble rabble *cough* Wurm Unlimited Folkvangr *cough* *fart*

You didn't tell me the name of your server :-) Let me know and I'll come visit!

Anyone have any ideas as to why a custom map would block woodchopping animations? Not sure if there are others blocked, but ive tested on trees spawned by the server, and trees ive spawned in and grown. Using axe, no animations are played.

Id like to fix this, but ive no idea whats caused it. So if anyone knows how to fix this, id truly appreciate the help!

I'm not having this on my version of the map at all, so it can't be a problem with the map. Are you using a GM character? 

Crap... well thats embarrassing, my action multiplier was set at 60 (typo). So i was chopping to fast for the animations.. huehue... i blame Chojin.

Fòlkvangr is the name of my server;)

Great map ......Currently I am using the map on my server hosted by Blue Fang Solution. Now I just have to get my ore depletion set up right and my farming tick set right and I'll have the server up with this map for quite a while.

• Like 1