Sign in to follow this  
Flint

Stuck at "Connecting to Server"

Up until last night I had been able to play without issue. After logging off and coming back a couple hours later, I got stuck at "Connecting to Server" and have been unable to get past this stage ever since. I am able to connect to other servers, just not the one that I had been playing up to this point ("Wyvern"). I have tried several things including:

- Port Forwarding

- Restarting Computer

- Uninstall and Reinstall Wurm Online

- Uninstall and Reinstall Java

- Uninstall and Reinstall Steam

Nothing has fixed the issue and I've seen no response or suggested remedy for others experiencing this same issue.

http://forum.wyverngame.com/index.php?topic=11.0

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/133503-cant-connect-to-a-certain-public-server-anymore/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/133454-cant-connect-to-wyvern/

All in all, 8 players across those 3 topics have mentioned being effected by this. I don't want to dedicate 30+ hours to something to in turn not be able to connect to it. I would worry that even if I started on a new server, this could be a reoccurring issue as it's happening on at least 2 servers ("Wyvern" and "BlueFangSolutions.com Los Angeles Public Server").

If anyone has any suggestions or if you have had this issue and overcome in it, please let us know. Thanks!

I wish there was a Hotfix for this... the only thing i can figure is its a server related issue, hopefully CC will give us some feedback/solution soon...

I'd really like to play but am not trying to play on a server only to be locked out for an indefinite amount of time!

The server may have changed ips internally (router/vpn/isp any number of reasons really), the server config has to be manually changed in that case.

Nah, this is happening to more and more players. 

... you say it's steam account releated and a restart seems to fix it. The fact that we could connect before and tellnet still works while other players still can connect without issues even supports your statement.

That's why I said it seems as there is something wrong with the playerdata. No one knows the exact issue in detail, maybe it has to do with the little update steam had, maybe not. For some reason the server doesn't seem to be able to recognize/process/obtain us or our (player)data. Since a server restart fixes it, this is very unlikely to be caused by the stored data itself. More likely there is something blocking the server to access to our player data, maybe an unclosed filestream or something in that direction.

Just my thoughts... - Armitxes

Edited by Armitxez

Same issue here. I've been playing fine from home, but now I'm at a friend's house trying to join. The only thing different is the IP address. My friend's computer joins fine though, and I can open a raw connection to the WU server port. This isn't a connectivity, firewall, NAT, etc issue. Just down to bad software...

Apparently making another Steam account works, but why should I buy the game twice to play it from another location? (part of the point of Steam is you log in with your account to be able to use the games you've purchased, from any location)

Edit: Restarting the server did NOT work.

Edited by Adambean

Flint

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:01 PM

Up until last night I had been able to play without issue. After logging off and coming back a couple hours later, I got stuck at "Connecting to Server" and have been unable to get past this stage ever since. I am able to connect to other servers, just not the one that I had been playing up to this point ("Wyvern"). I have tried several things including:...

cant even connect to LOCAL 1 player server -_- 

any tech support for wurm unlimited or not??

Same story as Flint here except my server list isn't even populating. Favorites and History still shows up but when I try to connect to any of those it hangs at 'connecting to server', about 50% progress, indefinitely.

This needs to be escalated somehow.

Same problem for me today.

From the Steam thread

LastChime  has Wurm Unlimited 4 minutes ago
Set external to 0.0.0.0 .... I have the same damn thing and that's the only thing that solved it even though the IP is correct as confirmed through my dlink router

jnoble123  has Wurm Unlimited Just now
Setting external ip address to 0.0.0.0 appears to have solved it for me too

I also set it to 0.0.0.0 and it worked. Keep in mind this is for a locally hosted game, not for a dedicated server etc.

It seems this issue is effecting some players and not others. It also did not start until the client update yesterday. I personally am not experiencing the issue and I have the updated client.

One of my players who had a problem with this was able to log in after some time. I see no errors going on, and I have not even restarted my server, server has a dedicated IP address so that can not be the issue.

Further note I did not do the server update as I have been running the beta since last Friday, so that should also not be the issue, it has to be something in the client.

Edited by Xyp

This issue started for me yesterday as well. It's been about 24 hours now.

edit: Issue was fixed after a server restart - everything OK again now.

Edited by Heboric

I'm having the same issue.  Just started today after I logged out for awhile to return to "Connecting to server...." continuously.  I've tried restarting the server several times.  

Any ideas?

* note to self. Do NOT log out. Ever. 

You might try restarting the computer also. I always do that when nothing else works, seems to clear tangled up gunk out of the memory.

Restarted my computer.  After it booted up, I started Steam again and a pretty hefty update installed.  After that I could play the game again.  Not sure if it was because of the update or because I simply restarted, but thanks!  And...I'll probably just leave the server running for awhile to be safe.  lol

I'm having this issue when friends try and connect to my server. They see my server in the list, and their client opens up, but the connection fails afterwards. I've tried all the usual network troubleshooting things: open ports, use hamachi and try via LAN, fiddling with serverside options, restarting the server and my PC, even setting a DMZ and connecting my computer directly to the modem instead of via a router. Nothing works. It's quite frustrating.

Having the same issue - so frustrating.    Missing my wurm 'fix'     Done the java  update - although it confirmed I had the latest.    Only thing different is  Internet  explorer  popped up to say they  had discontinued supporting certain plug in's - guess java may be one.   I then downloaded  Firefox only to be stopped at the sign in again with  downloading at   0% and  staying that way.  

Oh just wanted to add - I am trying to  get into wurm online - have never had  this problem before and last night  (10 hours ago )  I was having no problems at all.

Edited by elfnz

Having the same issue - so frustrating.    Missing my wurm 'fix'     Done the java  update - although it confirmed I had the latest.    Only thing different is  Internet  explorer  popped up to say they  had discontinued supporting certain plug in's - guess java may be one.   I then downloaded  Firefox only to be stopped at the sign in again with  downloading at   0% and  staying that way.  

Oh just wanted to add - I am trying to  get into wurm online - have never had  this problem before and last night  (10 hours ago )  I was having no problems at all.

It doesn't matter much whether the browser is using java or disabling it, or which browser you try,  because Wurm does not run through the browser anyway.  Even if you use 32-bit browser, you can IGNORE 32-bit java and install ONLY the windows offline 64-bit version (I run 32-bit chrome and 64-boit java is the only version I ever use. I don;t run any games or java programs that use the browser. Javascipt also is completely different than JAVA, they are actually not related).

If this is for WURM ONLINE not unlimited, you also might have an issue with it connecting to the update server but that is a much different issue, so I would repost in the WO tech area because the solutions are different than for the Unlimited server connections. I don't think your issues is a java issue at all, especially if it ran fine last night.   do you recall if you ever in the past edited the HOST file to give an IP address for updates.wurmonline.com? If you have no idea what that means, don;t worry about it :D

I will come look for your post or PM me to remind me to look at it.  (I am a space cadet at times)   Look also in your wurm online folder for a console.charactername.log  file AND an HS_ERR_PID file (with a recent date. not an old one) and post both of those in your thread. If you can only find one of those, post whichever you can find :D

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

It  does seem to  be connecting to update server problem.    Ooops I thought that this was the WO  tech issues.     I have  no idea  re HOST file etc  and never  edited anything :) .  Looked in both  those  places   and  my head spins.    Ok  will try to find the  WO  tech area.   ty for  the reply.     Will be in touch. 

It  does seem to  be connecting to update server problem.    Ooops I thought that this was the WO  tech issues.     I have  no idea  re HOST file etc  and never  edited anything :) .  Looked in both  those  places   and  my head spins.    Ok  will try to find the  WO  tech area.   ty for  the reply.     Will be in touch. 

Usually those problems deal with the ISP not being able to find the updates.wurmonline.com patch server because it dynamically changed its IP address and the ISP's  DNS  nameservers have not yet caught up with the change up.  Some ISP are very fast at this and some are very slow., 

1. Very often the issue resolves itself on its own within 1-12 hours as the ISP eventually updates it IP lookup addresses.

Sometimes a faster solution is switching to Google Public Nameservers

If the issue continues for more than a half day, there are other things we can walk through to solve it, keep me updated. 

Just to note these recent posts are all for Wurm Online, not Wurm Unlimited

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Null and void, feel free to del.

Edited by AlexLong

I think i fixed it by setting my DNS servers to openDNS's then opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig /flushdns