Sign in to follow this  
JadeKC

"Use dedicated server"?

Can someone explain to me exactly what "Use dedicated server" means?  I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a computer genius so take that into consideration.  I'm not a complete idiot either, but I can't understand the difference between checking that box and leaving it unchecked.  I've done both and they seem to work exactly the same.

I just want to play Wurm Unlimited as "singleplayer", I'm not trying to host anything or allow other people to play on my server.  The whole setup process is very confusing (and for what it's worth, I'm with all of those people who think it is weird that you need a constant internet connection to play this game as a singleplayer game!).

with an dedicated server, other people can join your server from the internet

Thanks for the response, but I still don't understand that.  Are you saying if you don't click "use dedicated server" other people can't join?  That's fine because that's what I want.  But leaving that box unchecked doesn't seem to take away any of the choices that would apply to having other people join, like using a password, etc.  And as far as I can tell everything works exactly the same way regardless of whether you check that box other than downloading something and getting an extra icon on my desktop.

I always playing with dedicated but i believe you have to set up your "internal" server in the LAN tab if i remember correctly and your server will not be shown in the list of the WU launcher.

I am sure you can find some other topics here with guides to start your own single player server, i cant look now because i am in real work

Eject

Edit: there is a forum with server issues and so

Edited by Eject

with an dedicated server, other people can join your server from the internet

Unless I misunderstood you, this can't be right: I've tried it with as well as without checking the dedicated server tickbox. I play without checking that box now, and yet other people still can (and do) join my server from the internet.

So I don't understand the difference either.

The biggest difference between the dedicated server and the regular one is that if you start the regular through the client and then try and restart the client steam will block the client from starting again. 
With the dedicated server it wont. 

And of course the fact that the dedicated server can login anonymously so you don't need the steam client running for that one.

• Like 1

When the box is unchecked it opens the server that came with WU when you click manage server. When it's checked clicking manage server opens the dedicated server which is a separate download.

The biggest difference between the dedicated server and the regular one is that if you start the regular through the client and then try and restart the client steam will block the client from starting again. 

With the dedicated server it wont. 

And of course the fact that the dedicated server can login anonymously so you don't need the steam client running for that one.

Thank you so much for explaining! And actually, having a way of restarting the client without Steam blocking it is something I wanted too so this explanation was even more of a happy surprise. :D

Yes, thank you both.  I think I finally understand it now.  Just to be clear for people like me who don't know all the lingo, is the "client" is the thing that opens the Wurm window that lists all the servers and has tabs for "Internet", "LAN", etc.?  This is my first Steam game.  And I had never even clicked the dedicated server button until yesterday, but now that I have I see there is a now shortcut for that.  So I think I finally understand the difference between.  Thanks again.

THis discussion was very helpful! I was trying to figure out how to run the server on one computer and the client on a second one.  I want the up 24/7 for farms, trees and animals to grow.  Dedicated server launch on the server laptop and then connect to it through my regular laptop that has the graphics adapter.

For giggles, I am letting the server populate up to 500k animals, to test the ram/CPU with a huge load of critters.  On the 2k default server size, that should be one every 8 tiles.  Went non agro on all for the test.