Sign in to follow this  
Tux

Mega Mod

Its nice to see that many ppl start to mod WU. I have nothing against, like those ppl. I only try to understand, why they do. If someone want to play with code, ok. If there will be mod for fully rares function, so it give me sence. If someone change some values and give it to ALPHA stage, so it tells me nothing.

For example: No decay mod. Absolutely dont understand what is about. Decaying is quite unique feature in wurm, if someone want to go back to early develop and remove this, can ask for very very old time version from rolf or client devs. Or can find initial values and set it to very very long distance. Its only my suggestion, any can do whatever. So good luck with that work. Maybe i am infected by PC illness and need digitalization detox. I should dance more...

On 28-10-2015 16:06:52, Tux said:

I doubt I will have the time or long term inclination or current skill but from looking at the files last night I think the following 'super mods' are 100% possible.

1. A complete conversion of game from Java to C# so that it can be used in the Unity Engine which can result is stunning graphics

2. A completely disconnected from the internet or any LAN base setup or pseudo setup for true single player experience

3. a Sci Fi version of the game. same rule sets just different models.

Yup, of course you can develop your very own custom client. But that's quite a big undertaking...

On 29-10-2015 19:41:52, BadLuckBurt said:

I definitely don't have the skill to pull this off but wouldn't something like OpenSceneGraph make more sense than Unity? Unity is an engine and Wurm has it's own engine already so once you'd port Wurm's code to C#++ or whatever flavour you prefer, you'd only need a renderer.

Yeah.... you don't just "port" code to another programming language though... you basically have to rewrite the whole thing, unless the 2 languages operate within the same framework - in that case some automatic conversions might be partially possible (such as C#.net vs VB.net)

+ OpenSceneGraph is just a 3D Toolkit based on OpenGL. You can't just switch to an "other renderer" and expect everything to work. You can keep the logic but you're gonna have to rewrite your rendering code. 

Edited by Dextrome

On 31-10-2015 02:28:40, ftoz said:

Important is goal, which many ppl still forget. Y mean if rewrite all code to something else and add 3d engine, will more players play it? LiF, there is about 3 years work with good team, they are old wurm players. Seems they go to way wurm idea with better graphic. LiF is torque3D, so open source can allow modify engine to add terraforming, tunneling. So hard work for them and they are still at beginning. Goal is for me important. Y want earn on game? Create something great art piece? Manage yourself to do that? Editing foreign code with no reason? Maybe y should share more ideas to create team for next work.

Still at the beginning? They released the game last month.... sure it's full of bugs, but it's the release version... lol.

PS. It's really confusing when you use "Y" instead of "I" - at first I thought you ment "why"... 

Edited by Dextrome

On 29-10-2015 21:48:14, yarnevk said:

#2 can already be done by patching the launcher code, legally that would be bypassing Steams DRM.   So could luck with attempting that.  Only the devs can patch the game legally to work without Steam DRM, as there are already games that use Steam only as a download service and work just fine it is entirely possible.  I suspect they will not do it since they outsourced distribution promotion to a company that is in the biz of reselling Steam keys, otherwise they could have put the game on GOG which is a DRM free download service.)

That's the biggest reason I'm not buying WU yet...

On 10/29/2015 at 11:07 PM, Keenan said:

I won't touch Unity. It's a breeding ground for sloppy programming and kids who think "Hello World" makes a game.

Now if you said Unreal, that might make me a tiny bit excited.

The thing is... Wurm's got a custom engine, and one that's undergoing a rewrite anyway. :)

Also, being a programmer for a while... languages tend to become simply machine dialects. I never understood all this hype to favor one or another. They're tools... yes, you want an appropriate tool for the job, but ultimately it's the skill of the wielder that determines success.

sick of dev promises, and not alone here,  there you have it..

On 7/18/2021 at 3:01 AM, Barfoot said:

sick of dev promises, and not alone here,  there you have it..

Wow! That is a very old post that hasn't aged well given that I more than touch Unity these days. One moment, I have to go back in time to smack myself.

That said, the engine at the time was the graphics engine, which was rewritten and is actually still in use in both WU and WO.

Not sure what promises? I also wasn't a developer at the time that post was made. I joined the development team later on in November of 2015. I was staff - but my job was the Wurmpedia.

• Like 1