Sign in to follow this  
Wenlily

unable to loot animals

I am new to the game. LOVE IT. but... I am playing unlimited on my LAN. I have the normal set up. When I kill animals I get a message that I am unable to loot them. I can butcher them just not take anything in them. I tried changing the PVP setting but that did not help. I tried killing them outside any town area that did not work. It is probably some simple setting I cant find. Please help I want to eat.

This sounds like a bug to me, are you in any Kingdom and which mode are you playing?

And what does it tell you if you use "/reputation"?

As far as I know so long as you're killing animals away from any Deeds you should be able to have full loot access to them.

This sounds like something has gone wrong within the server and you may need to reset the database.

Another thing to note is are you in any kingdom territory? (A message should pop up in events tab saying "You enter Jenn-Kellon", "You enter Mol Rehan" or "You enter Horde of the Summoned" if you are)

This could possibly be caused by selecting no kingdom in adventure mode, I have friends who have had similar issues from it.

I tested looting in "no known area" or what ever the similar message is. I am playing adventure. how would I reset the database? and does that mean scrapping everything? I am very new to this so I have not done a lot. I would like to create or get a different map. I don't understand the deed thing. It wants money. how can I get money LOL. also there was another bug where the bartender would not give me food or water so I could not finish tasks in the starting town. The guards also killed my tamed dog when I summoned it in town. of course I could not loot it .... Thanks for the help.

I tested looting in "no known area" or what ever the similar message is. I am playing adventure. how would I reset the database? and does that mean scrapping everything? I am very new to this so I have not done a lot. I would like to create or get a different map. I don't understand the deed thing. It wants money. how can I get money LOL. also there was another bug where the bartender would not give me food or water so I could not finish tasks in the starting town. The guards also killed my tamed dog when I summoned it in town. of course I could not loot it .... Thanks for the help.

This sounds like the Kingdom bugs, "no known area" isn't really meant to occur and the guards are killing your dog because they consider it an enemy. In adventure mode there are meant to be three (or four?) predefined kingdoms, Jenn-Kellon, Mol Rehan and Horde of the Summoned. (Possibly freedom too? Haven't checked but I've seen boars aligned with freedom)

The Kingdoms are all enemies and locked in feuds, hence any outsiders are considered enemies.

You can reset your databases by going to your server folder in steam (either 'Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server' if you're using dedicated, or 'Wurm Unlimited/WurmServerLauncher' if you aren't), in there you should see an 'Adventure' folder and within it 'sqlite'.

The sqlite folder contains your databases and some batch scripts. I'd recommend always backing up before tampering with this folder.

rebuild-dbs.bat will delete and reset all the databases, effectively resetting everything like kingdoms, players, mobs, items, but if I'm correct changes to the world (such as terraforming) should still be there, stored in the map.

This will reset your character.

There are ways to work around a complete reset but it requires some database editing and I'm not entirely sure what needs to be done to fix the kingdom areas. You'd need a program like SQLite Browser (http://sqlitebrowser.org/) to be able to open the databases and edit them. If I recall there are some video tutorials on it by cmiddlebrook here: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/133062-tutorial-how-to-install-custom-maps-clean-your-database/ (Keep in mind though the tutorial instructs you on how to wipe the databases)

I'd recommend maybe backing up and rebuilding your databases first, start a new character and see if you can get far enough that you don't need your old one anyway, definitely join a kingdom as it makes things easier when at least one side doesn't want your head on a platter. ;P

As for the bartender bug I've heard of it talked about before on steam discussions, not familiar with it though sorry.

'Deeds' are like land rights in this game, you could think of them as villages but that's not all they're used for.

By default settings Deeds in Adventure mode have no cost and require no upkeep so you can found one by using your deed stake and you can hire guards (for free) to protect it.

Money is a somewhat complicated issue. In Wurm Online there are 3 major ways to obtain money, these include trading with players, buying from the online store and playing the trader system. Since you are solo on your own server the first two are out of the question.

You should be able to find a trader in the starter town for your kingdom somewhere, you can sell them items in exchange for money, but be careful, as traders can be 'broken' in the sense that you'll need to always buy back a portion of what you sell or the trader won't continue making as much money. Read more here: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Trader

There are of course some new ways to make money in the sense you can find coins while foraging etc, but the amounts are so small that I'd recommend learning the trade system instead if you want to make some coin.

Sorry for the wall of text, hope this helps though. :)

Yes! Thank you. I was unable to figure out how to join the town I spawned in. Maybe I have to go out and find another town. or it could be another bug issues. I started playing adventure mode and that seems pretty cool. I will mess with the DB at some point. Other than editing will it reset both adventure and creative? I would like to keep character on adventure since that seems to be not so buggy.

Editing won't really reset what you don't edit out and the databases are specific to the game instances (Eg Creative, Adventure, any copies are all different instances)

If you're getting the no known kingdom error etc in creative you may have unchecked 'home server' or used an invalid kingdom id.

The creative server is, by default, a freedom isles (id 4 I believe) home server and enabling other kingdoms or disabling them all together can be glitchy, I think because they need a spawn location to be a valid kingdom in a non-home-server and by default creative is empty.

If your creative server is bugged out and setting it back to freedom home doesn't work you may have to run the database reset scripts or manually clean them.

Creative and Adventure both have different instances, so tampering with one won't really affect the other, I'd recommend a backup system for both regardless just so that if something breaks or you want to test something out you have a recent copy to go back to.

Hope everything ends up working for you. :)