Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Request: UN-NERF the pets!

When I first started the game one of my funnest adventures was taming a brown bear and having it follow along everywhere I went. It protected me from wolves, ate my leftover fishies when I went fishing, it even pulled my minecart and made me feel so much safer in those dark deep scary places!

He was my constant companion.

japontsy-o-russkih.png

Then, about 3-5 years ago, Rolf nerfed the pets :(  They broke taming really really fast (not so much domestic ones like horses or dogs, but bears and higher would only hold a tame a brief time)  Their combat rating was nerfed down the toilet, a brown bear could no longer even be a sure winner against a pheasant. A wolf pet or worse a dog, would die in seconds. Their cart pulling abilities were extremely nerfed so only certain age ranges would work.  This was apparently due to issues in PvP combat with people having champion  trolls puling a cart full of warriors and destroying anything in their path. But a lot of new players lost the ability to have a companion PvE pet in their life.  I lost all interest in Animal Taming on that day, and now I only use it to saddle a horse. 

I would like to have, once again, Mr. Bear accompany me on my adventures through Wurm Unlimited.

Can anyone tweak a pet mod?  

They need to be same power at least as wild versions (or trainable to be a smidgen better), hold a tame for at least a day or so, pull a large cart regardless of age.

Maybe higher taming level (upset, nervous, calm, loyal etc) gives a mild boost to abilities so a person who really focuses on the animal taming skill, finds it to be of actual USE. 

1443987224614336294.jpg

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 10

When I last played (years and YEARS ago, Notch was still here), pets were a thing you could use pretty good in combat as well.  I'm sad to see Wurm nerfed them.

I remember taming some meer dogs and feeling safer for it.  I can't imagine playing with nerfed animals like that.

I will put this on the top of my todo list for fixing / customizing, perhaps in cunjcuntion with that "additional settings" ini file mod I've been thinking of making.  Expect something soon if all goes well.

• Like 1

Would also be nice to have skills allow for taming to work with 90 taming =9 animals held at a time and can pick which one to give up when you tame another.

The more taming skill, the more slots you should have.

Once tamed a creature should stay tamed forever, unless it goes starving (tie the taming levels to food) or the tamer release it (one of the most stupid "features" in wurm taming is the inability to release a pet.

The cr nerf not only needs to be removed, but also creatures should have the possibility of get increased stats and skills through training.

Add saddles and bridles for all rideable creatures, add armor for tameable creatures with enough body mass and strength (no armor for hens, pheasants, cave bugs, wildcats, etc,)

• Like 3

+1 i was gonna write this as useful mounts n pets, cause i would like the crocs n stuff to move faster also :P

Yes please!  Also, when a previously tamed aggressive mob falls out of tame, HAVE IT BECOME NON-AGGRESSIVE.  This makes realistic sense.

+1 Has my vote! Perhaps even make pets reduced effect in certain pvp situations if it really is game breaking.

• Like 1

+1 This has got to be a must. Especially since this is also a solo player offline game now. If you're skilled enough to tame a big, nasty critter, you may as well be doing it for a reason, not just bragging rights.

If necessary, have a toggle for server owners to decide whether to have the nerfed pets or not. If they have PVP servers, they might want to keep the nerfs but otherwise remove the nerfs.

However, it will probably receive the same attention that unsilencing the animals has had from the devs - none at all.

Edited by Tryst
  • Like 1