Sign in to follow this  
Ricowan

[RELEASE] UI Reskin

Hey guys, I've been wanting to do a re-skin for the Wurm UI for probably as long as I've been playing the game, several years at least.  WU gave me the opportunity so I'm jumping in with both feet!

Here's a screenshot of the UI, note that I have the font size set to 14 here.  This is something anyone can adjust in the game settings, it's not part of the re-skin.  :)  Instructions and download below.

WU-UI-Reskin2.jpg

1. Download the WU-UI-Reskin.zip and save it on your PC.
  2. Open WU-UI-Reskin.zip in a zip application, I recommend 7zip.
  3. Close Wurm Unlimited if it's running.
  4. Navigate to where you have Wurm Unlimited installed, then open the Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\packs folder.
  5. Make a copy of graphics.jar for safe keeping.
  6. Using a zip application, open graphics.jar.  If you're using 7zip, just right-click on graphics.jar, highlight "7zip" and then "Open archive".
  7. Drag the "gui" folder from WU-UI-Reskin.zip into the open graphics.jar.  Make sure you aren't dragging it into a folder, it should be updating the "gui" folder already in graphics.jar.
  8. Close graphics.jar and you're done.

If Wurm Unlimited updates the graphics.jar file, you'll have to do these steps again.

Edited by Ricowan
  • Like 5

looks like the classic light that is already in the game that i use all the time but it is more of a light brown not gray

But this has the enhancements from the wood skin that you don't get with the classic skins.  :)  Target window, etc.

• Like 2

I like it because we will have more options, color variations

I would like to see resizable components.  Make the craft window much smaller, make targeting smaller, etc.  If variable resizing is too complicated, just a normal and small option, like we have with compass, toolbelt and fight.

For the toolbelt, I'd like to have multiple toolbelts, with a button to click on each that sets it as the active belt, rather than a hot key to swap belt settings.  It would still be just one physical belt we wear, just visually seeing multiple belt configs on the screen.

• Like 1

This is a simple image replacement, no coding involved.  If you have played Minecraft, this is similar to a texture pack from the old days.  :)

It's taking a while to wrap up the remaining images, mainly because when I log in to the game to test a change, I somehow end up playing for a few hours instead.  LOL

I would like to see resizable components.  Make the craft window much smaller, make targeting smaller, etc.  If variable resizing is too complicated, just a normal and small option, like we have with compass, toolbelt and fight.

For the toolbelt, I'd like to have multiple toolbelts, with a button to click on each that sets it as the active belt, rather than a hot key to swap belt settings.  It would still be just one physical belt we wear, just visually seeing multiple belt configs on the screen.

If you look at the gui folder in your graphics,jar from your wurm installation, you will realize that's something impossible to achieve with the current way the gui is hard coded into the game, most of the graphic elements of the ui  are not realizable at all, and the ones supporting a change are limited to 2 sizes, and need a full set of images for each of the 2 sizes, example of that is the compass or the toolbelt, the crafting window for example only have a single set of images, that's why if you have a big screen with high resolution like 1440p or higher, you end having a tinny unreadable crafting window.

For now the only solution for this is either get a nice powerful looking glass or look around on garage sales to find one of that nice orange phosphor crt's.

nevermind i figured it out.

Edited by IloveWurm

Nice.  Will you update this thread when it is complete with instructions on how to install.

Updated original post with the release version.  I'm hoping people with a lot more artistic ability than me will do other re-skins!

So, could we get a new skin for the new cooking player UI?

/Calth

Working on it!  I probably won't get it done today though. :(  I seem to not be able to stop playing long enough.  

The zip link in the original post has been updated.  I'm not entirely happy with the new player UI but it will work for now.

Fantastic work Rico!

I never was a fan of the Ironwood GUI, but missed some of the extra elements added in with it. Now I can just about have the best of both worlds!

Thanks!  To be honest, I'm surprised there aren't more of these texture packs.  I'm a coder, there are a lot of artistic people playing Wurm that could do a much better job than me. :D