Sign in to follow this  
razoreqx

Ages of Urath

Buyer Beware:

When Citadel quoted out the requirements for a login server and clusters it included dedicated boxes with the specifications of 100 players per cluster. We found out today the clusters are running in VM's and the login server is the only dedicated box. The clusters are competing with threads from the login server causing the lag issues we're having on Irata. To resolve this we are asking them to honor the contract and move the clusters to dedicated servers. We've had over 180 players online on Irata and Laoks with no issues. When we added Western realms and the population increase we saw a huge performance hit on the login server.

To fix this issue we need to shut Western realms down. It will be saved as is until either we get a dedicated server as promised or change hosting providers to an enterprise grade hosting service.
This is the company I have been working with on a quote. https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/

Im sorry Western realms had to be put on hold but I want a playable server for the time being and i'll do what it takes to keep us playable.

Once the server is shut down you can request with an alt on Irata a ticket to move any characters that did not get moved over. We'll put the server up long enough for you to grab your stuff and run. Deeds, items, and animals will remain as is and nothing will be lost. When the hardware is sufficient we'll return the server to an active state and you can move back over.

Again I am truly sorry Citadel didn't make good on the level of servers i was promised in the quote and i'll do my best to make it right again, even if that means moving. Citadel was paid for a year up front (wish i could have rethought that out) so If they dont honor the contract we'll have to eat the remaining seven months and move to the new provider.

History:

Ticket: 135599
Im having performance issues around what I believe to be cores and threading. It is my assumption these three servers are sharing the same resources. We have multiple thread locks because the executor thread requires more threads than the CPU cores can support. I need to know what can be done to address this as I dont want each boxing sharing resources. When i quoted this out with Sales it was based on the prices I received from various hosting providers on Dedicated servers for each cluster!
Saying the "resources look fine" isn't a proper response when the players in the game are being lagged to the point where the game is unplayable on the login server because the clusters are sharing resources with its CPU and memory.
I need this addressed ASAP before I shut down one of Code Club Wurm Unlimited largest servers down due to issues with the hosting provider being unable to handle multi clusters..
Ive shared with ticket with Rolf, Keenan, and others from the Dev team on Wurm Unlimited official forums. I have been in constant communication with the developers since for the last two months regarding performance issues.

Response:
We will look to see what we can do our end to optimize your servers, you do not have dedicated cores on your two multi server nodes, only your main one so those two servers share cpu resources, your main node is the only server using a dedicated core with two dedicated threads. We have restarted this dedicated node as it has been up for several months, this could potentially help. i see you do not currently have a scheduled restart, it is recommended that you restart your server preferably once a day off-peak hours and select when no one is on, this way the server won't have any wasted resources in RAM\cache and be able to continue at optimal performance
As previously stated you are being hosted on a 6c/12t CPU @3.9ghz per thread, typical capacity for this machine is at 20% usage at this time, so it's very much not a problem with resources not being avaliable, this specific dedicated node also has ECC 64GB RAM which for loadb-alancing purposes is typically kept at 20% free
It may be that the best method forward due to your requirement for full dedicated resources would be to rent a full bare metal server with us, we could provide either windows or centos and and provide you with an instance of our game control panel for easy management so you would have have the ability to continue hosting WU servers with a control panel to manage it and with ssh\rdp
Kind Regards,

-Jeroen van Proosdij
-Technical Operations
Thank you

Soon after they reboot our server with no notification and crashed all clusters

Next update from Citadel:
To note, i restarted your servers upon node restart to avoid any downtime
Kind Regards,

-Jeroen van Proosdij
-Technical Operations

Original Quote:

Game Server Package Quotation
Hosting for 5 Wurm dedicated servers specifications stated.
Game control panel features
Full Wurm server integration in game control panel, configure servers fully without need to edit servers manually in sqlite databases\wurm server editor
Map Compiler
Fast download system
Fult FTP support
Potential for MYSQL support
and much more.

Cluster servers
1x Wurm Unlimited 8GB Ram

Main Login Server

Total $2100 US 12 months.

Added a bunch of new content to the game today.. New items, vehicles.     

Hey Razoreqx,

Been playing on your server with a friend for over 2 weeks now and loving it! Thanks alot for your dedication, it really shows that you care about your community and you want to make the server great! 

Just a quick question in regards to some mods (and sorry if these have already been answered elsewhere)

How long is the delay/cooldown between meditation questions? 

Has the breeding timer been adjusted at all? 

Thanks again mate,

Cigar

34 minutes ago, AWildCigar said:

Hey Razoreqx,

Been playing on your server with a friend for over 2 weeks now and loving it! Thanks alot for your dedication, it really shows that you care about your community and you want to make the server great! 

Just a quick question in regards to some mods (and sorry if these have already been answered elsewhere)

How long is the delay/cooldown between meditation questions? 

Has the breeding timer been adjusted at all? 

Thanks again mate,

Cigar

Hi

Very little has been modded to add overhead.  IN fact most of the mods are bandaids to fix bugs 5 mods to be exact and we're still losing the battle on poll timers and micro lagging.    I appreciate your feedback.  I do think we have a great staff and im glad to hear other people see that too.   

There is no delay on meditation but the path questions are default.   *I think*  You'd really have to ask someone online.  

The breeding timers are vanilla and vary.    This actually seems buggy because the poll timers are behind..  When these zone checks aka poll times / timers get delayed things like age / decay are also effected.    

Hope you continue to enjoy the game.  I dont plan on ever shutting down, but I cant promise the server will eventually ###### itself if we dont get some serious rewrite of the way the game polls zones on maps.....  

Cheers. 

And now there is a password... Closed case

18 hours ago, www said:

And now there is a password... Closed case

Applying to join (not just registering) website / server reveals the password.....Open case.

Nekash's Mystery

Event Start:
Saturday, Sep 3, 06:00:00 pm (GMT -4)

Event End:
Saturday, Sep 3, 07:30:00 pm (GMT -4)

Created By:

An event for anyone and everyone. The more participants the better the prizes. Summoning will be available, you cannot be on a horse, cart or boat.

On 11/12/2015 at 11:07 AM, razoreqx said:

Live map added.   

http://razors-edge.ddns.net/

The server refused the connection.

Also, server is locked and I don't see the PW here. Is there a trick? And please don't tell me I need to read the whole forum post to find it. :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Faetyl said:

The server refused the connection.

Also, server is locked and I don't see the PW here. Is there a trick? And please don't tell me I need to read the whole forum post to find it. :)

You have to apply to get the password:   http://AgesOfUrath.com

You really need to re-evaluate this locked-server strategy.  Most players are not going to go out of their way to get access to a locked server when there are unlocked servers with higher populations.  Personally, I have never found a WU server quite like Ages of Urath.  The Laoks server is just fantastic - the best blend of design and features I have ever experienced.  But this server lock decision is hindering growth and I think that is so unfortunate.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:00 PM, Eyesgood said:

You really need to re-evaluate this locked-server strategy.  Most players are not going to go out of their way to get access to a locked server when there are unlocked servers with higher populations.  Personally, I have never found a WU server quite like Ages of Urath.  The Laoks server is just fantastic - the best blend of design and features I have ever experienced.  But this server lock decision is hindering growth and I think that is so unfortunate.

I think you make a good point here. I started playing there again with a new character because of the increased starting body stats. The new player learning deed is just beautifully done with many helpful perks for starting players, as well as being able to join it with a small fenced personal area to use. Then when the password lock was applied I never bothered to return. Skill gains and action timers being slow I found it not worth the extra step to apply for password anyway.

Maybe Razoreqx and staff figured this password requirement would cut down on a lot of junk and buildings left behind by new players just popping in for a look of a short time. Maybe they figure it will keep out known negative players identified by their Steam identifying number, giving them the option block entering the server in the first place. Who knows, as I haven't seen any detailed information released about it other than simply stating that it had been put into effect.

Surely it will deter the casual WU player from popping in to check it out. Maybe even some generally neutral familiar players who can be beneficial in other various ways. I suppose it would be interesting to find out more about why this decision was made; but otherwise, as you say there are a number of other enjoyable, positive and progressive servers to play upon that are free to access by anyone and to these more will be drawn, if that is what is desired by the server owners.

=Ayes=

Oh well, moving on.  Such a shame this effort has been apparently abandoned by the admin.  I hope others implement something similar as this was the best WU experience I ever had.

@razoreqx

Hi its Hydro. What happened to Urath? After finding your website this year I specifically bought this game for Christmas so I could play on Urath again. Is Urath no more? The forum seems to be down. Am I too late to the party? I hope not. I was looking forward to playing like the old days in the Neverwinter Nights version of Urath 4th and 5th ages. :(

I ended up moving to Anarchy Isles.  The server approach is very similar to what we had on Urath.  I am having loads of fun and the PMKs on the PVP server are growing.