Sign in to follow this  
Drakeling

WU How to - Logging into default GM account

Some of you may have noticed that Wurm Unlimited (adventure server) has 3 GM accounts that come with it. This of course makes sense because there are 3 starting deeds on this server, and each needs their own respective mayor. But what happens when you want to make changes to the permissions at these deeds? GM, as far as I could tell did not have an option to manage the settings for these tokens. Or how about inviting yourself or someone else to join a starter village? So, I figured out a way in order to be able to login to each one of these GM accounts. From there you then have full access to each of the deed as long as you log in with the corresponding mayor. So, if you're willing to do a bit of database manipulation you too will have the ability to login to these default GM accounts.

Here is a quick list of the three GM accounts and the settlements they are mayors of:

-- Zampooklidin, mayor of Litocania.

-- Ceyer, mayor of Hearth

-- Brightberry, mayor, Winkshir

To begin you'll need a program that is able to modify databases. I personally use SqliteBrowser (http://sqlitebrowser.org/), but you can use any application that reads and writes to sqlite databases.

Here is what you'll need to do:

• Create a backup of your adventure folder before doing this! I'm not responsible for if you break your database file using this method.
  • Create a copy of the Creative database (optional)
  • Launch the server with this database selected
  • Login to this server using one of the three aforementioned default GM account names
  • Once you've done this you'll need to open your database manager application browse to ...\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\NAMEOFSERVER\sqlite\wurmplayers.db
  • Switch to / select browse the players table within this database.
  • Copy password for the character you just logged in under. And go ahead and close that database.
  • Now open the same file, only this time under your creative path
  • Browse to the players folder again, replace the character's password with the one you got from creative. Write changes to the database. (*Note the Wurm Unlimited adventure server CAN NOT be running while you do this or changes will be revert upon shutting down the server*)

If all goes well you should now be able to login to the GM account of your choice. :-)

Let me know if you all have any questions of need me to explain something in further detail. I hope this helps those of you who want more control over your adventure map!

• Like 2

Seems like a complicated way to get onto those accounts.

All you really need to do is go ingame on your existing gm character, change the password of those other 3 deed holder accounts and put your own steamid as the password.  then simply log into them as your own..  There is no need to go into the database at all.

• Like 1

Ah, thank you for pointing that out MamaDarkness, that does seem like a much simpler approach to changing the default GM passwords. I do want to point out you must change the power level of the default GM account to 4, instead of the default 5, or else you won't be able to change the password.

Secondly, maybe I'm missing something obvious, but was unable to use to the SteamID as the password in any combination to log into the default GM account. Here is what I did, using Ceyer as an example:

After changing powerlevel for Ceyer to 4, I did the following combinations of passwords:

#changepassword Ceyer  - Followed by the account username I sign into steam with (both lower and upper case for first character)

#changepassword Ceyer  - Followed by the ID that follows in my steamcommunity.com/id/USERNAME (both lower and upper case for first character)

#changepassword Ceyer  - Followed by the steam ID in the following format: STEAM_0:1:11111111 (of course replacing the 1111 with the actual number of my steamID)

My thoughts were that it uses your steamID in conjunction with something else in order to form the overall password for the account then uses the md5 hash of that to store it in the database. Now, I wasn't sure what the proper syntax, or combination was, which is why instead of me spending time even guessing all that, that I went with just editing the database entries.

Am I missing something even more obvious here? Could you tell me the proper syntax or combination of the SteamID you used in order to get this working?

I have not done it myself, but I have been told it is just the steam long id, and not combined with anything else.

I can confirm this does indeed work, subject to a couple of conditions;

The SteamID used is the long number associated with your SteamID64.

The GM level for the Mayors must be set to 4 (or less?) in advance as Drakeling says.

The only issue I encountered was Ceyer (Mayor of Hearth) appears in the middle of Litocania, but it's easy enough to flight him back to Hearth. Maybe he was busy raiding HotS when he logged off :)

Personally I chose to use these guys as Mayors rather than GMs and subsequently set their GM level to 0.

Nice way to re-decorate the deeds, in RP style, since nothing was nailed down and that thieving new players stole it all.

Had to do this actually, since none of the lamps on the three initial deeds were planted.... Was really doing my head in.

Where do you change password, as it dose not work in game. I have tried the console command, the wands. And if it is console, what is the proper syntax as  #changepassword (Character name) -(yoursteamId) is not the proper syntax.

Don't worry, found out that it needs to be typed into chat window.