Sign in to follow this  
Ulviirala

High server CPU usage after 4 hours uptime exactly

I don't know why, and if I can do anything to help figure it out, please let me know.

After 4 hours of uptime exactly, my dedicated server flat out goes to 100 % CPU core usage and stays there, forever, while in-game lag spikes begin to happen. I've paid attention now, and this behaviour occurs every time, and every time exactly after 4 hours. Until then it sits between 0 and 2 %, and only occasionally spikes to 8 % for a moment, so not much at all.

we've been noticing that the cpu usage jumps and everyone gets booted now and then. Havent really watched the timing on it though

I guess it's the same issue then, it was just weird that CPU core was capping out at not that much disk I/O (about 1.5MB/s for me).

Edited by Ulviirala

I guess it's the same issue then, it was just weird that CPU core was capping out at not that much disk I/O (about 1.5MB/s for me).

I would assume the two issues are linked, although sustaining 100% seems quite strange.

My server averages 4% CPU usage (2 cores) with 3 players. When that issue starts, my I/O peaks to 32MB/s and CPU shoots up to around 23%.

This issue was fixed on the patch today.  I can confirm as ive seen a 75% drop in CPU usage.  Nice work team! 

• Like 1

This issue was fixed on the patch today.  I can confirm as ive seen a 75% drop in CPU usage.  Nice work team! 

Thanks for the heads up.

Hm, I verified the game cache with Steam for the WU dedicated server, and I just hit 4 hours uptime. It still spikes my CPU core and has high write activity on protectedTiles.bmap, top_layer.map, and flags.map.

Should be fixed on beta branch now.

Would you happen to know what the beta branch is named? In the Steam client UI it shows no apparent name, thus I can't seem to be able to install it via steamcmd using "app_update 402370 -beta <betaname>". I tried '' and ' ', but they don't seem to be retrieving the beta branch, nor do I seem to be able to find that issue on Google. Edited by Ulviirala

Still can't seem to be able to get it, I'm running ./steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +force_install_dir ./server/ +app_update 402370 -beta beta_branch validate +quit, it validates the stable release and doesn't get the beta jar, md5 is ed4b9aef56191aa677633a96bdc69903 server/server.jar :\

Still can't seem to be able to get it, I'm running ./steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +force_install_dir ./server/ +app_update 402370 -beta beta_branch validate +quit, it validates the stable release and doesn't get the beta jar, md5 is ed4b9aef56191aa677633a96bdc69903 server/server.jar :\

I just tried the exact same thing on our test server and got the exact same Md5..        

The one I get when downloaded via the Steam client has a360e8dafad66839f50e5dea0947089f though, so I was sure the steamcmd is not getting the beta branch (haven't really found a version number yet heh).

Edited by Ulviirala

The one I get when downloaded via the Steam client has a360e8dafad66839f50e5dea0947089f though, so I was sure the steamcmd is not getting the beta branch.

I would have to agree.  It seems to be ignoring the flag on -beta from what I can tell. 

Ah, I guess I've had a stupor last night, albeit being tired is not a really good excuse.

It should be "app_update 402370 -beta beta" for the WU Dedicated Server found under Steam/Tools, as per https://steamdb.info/app/402370/depots/?branch=beta (requires no steam account, can login anomyously).

And for the regular Wurm Unlimited game with its bundled in client/server package, "app_update 366220 -beta beta_branch", as per https://steamdb.info/app/366220/depots/?branch=beta_branch (requires steam account that owns the game).

It showing only as "beta -" in the GUI Steam client drop down is just, that it has no description set, and "beta" is the actual name. Though the Steam docs are not really explicit on that, it should've been comprehensible.

Sorry for the hassle :(

• Like 1

Beta patch installed.    8 hrs uptime no CPU spikes and half the disk IO.    Crosses fingers.  

In case of dedicated server it should be called beta_branch.

What is the appid for this for those of us updating with steamcmd?

nevermind I can't read

Edited by ZaZ213

Is anyone still seeing this issue? I just ran the steamcmd update again earlier today (didn't they release the beta branch as a full update a week or two ago?) and I'm still getting high CPU usage after about 4 hours of uptime.

Well, I went ahead and installed the beta branch, but again after exactly 4 hours, CPU usage spiked... Anyone know what could be the cause?

Well, I went ahead and installed the beta branch, but again after exactly 4 hours, CPU usage spiked... Anyone know what could be the cause?

• Like 1

So you suggest doing a completely clean install, then dropping my world files back into the new folder? I could try that.

Edit: Also, thank you for the reply!

Edit2: Holy crap, I think I figure out what was wrong... I had the server running out of a different folder and for whatever reason assumed steamcmd was updating that folder rather than the default installation folder... Probably all fixed now.  :wacko:

Edited by Llurendt