Sign in to follow this  
Drakeling

Run multiple WU clients - No Sandboxie or VM required

you forgot important step and final step

create short cut

edit short cut

change icon to a Wurm one  :P

Can your steam account get banned for this?

yes

if you have a ton of games you bought i wouldnt risk it.

You may not use the Content and Services for any purpose other than the permitted access to Steam and your Subscriptions

(You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, we may terminate your access to your Account.) so I wouldn't recommend using a proxy.

You are entitled to use the Content and Services for your own personal use, but you are not entitled to: (i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Content and Services to other parties in any way

but you are not entitled to: (i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Content and Services to other parties in any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Content and Services to others without the prior written consent of Valve, except to the extent expressly permitted elsewhere in this Agreement (including any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use); (ii) host or provide matchmaking services for the Content and Services or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Valve in any network feature of the Content and Services, 

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

read into that what you want....there is more

through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Content and Services, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks, websites or services, without the prior written consent of Valve

What I will say is they are 100% covered in all they post in the TOS to ban you if they want for side stepping buying the game and using it more than once and/or giving your friends access.

Edited by Uberknot

yes

if you have a ton of games you bought i wouldnt risk it.

Did Steam update their subscriber agreement within the past 24 hours? Or is there another source you're getting your information besides:

Could you please give a link to the source where it explicitly says that your account will be banned for running a program that you've purchased more than once?

Did Steam update their subscriber agreement within the past 24 hours? Or is there another source you're getting your information besides:

Could you please give a link to the source where it explicitly says that your account will be banned for running a program that you've purchased more than once?

As long as every single player you are playing with has a separate account and has bought the game you got nothing to worry about.

Edited by Uberknot

As long as every single player you are playing with has a separate account and has bought the game you got nothing to worry about.

The intention of this guide was not to give people a way to allow their friends to play on their own copy of the game. If people choose to do that then yes, it would be definitely be a grey area for matter of discussion. But using my method described in the original post for the owner of the steam account to run multiple copies of their own game is not a violation of the Steam subscriber agreement.

The intention of this guide was not to give people a way to allow their friends to play on their own copy of the game. If people choose to do that then yes, it would be definitely be a grey area for matter of discussion. But using my method described in the original post for the owner of the steam account to run multiple copies of their own game is not a violation of the Steam subscriber agreement.

exactly this topic was not about that, and it would be way easier to take the WO client and redirect it to the WU server than to try and 'double play' an steam account.

What I will say is they are 100% covered in all they post in the TOS to ban you if they want for side stepping buying the game and using it more than once and/or giving your friends access.

How is it being used to enable your unpaid friends to play your game?  I see it enabling you to multitask clients on your same machine.  I suppose in theory they could use remote desktop but the performance would be unplayable.

The only time it gets you banned is when the devs say it is cheating in their multiplayer game. While this is quite common that multiplayer games consider alts to be cheating, they never have been considered that in Wurm.

Edited by yarnevk

This is and will remain a grey area, until Code Club and Steam come to an agreement about one account launching multiple clients.  Folks as Code Club have undoubtedly read this thread and not commented yet, because they need to have an official statement that sets the rules moving forward.  I used to run as many as 20 clients at a time in WO, so I'm a huge fan of this, if it is allowed.  However, I am with Uberknot on this one.  Way better to be safe than sorry.  That being said, I've copied this down to a word doc for reference later, should CC/Steam give the thumbs up.  If CC fails to make a statement after a week or so, it probably means they aren't worried about it, because new purchases are climbing too fast to give a damn.

Warlander pointed to this thread on Steam, while is a dev and not officially Rolf/CC that is an indication the WU dev does not consider it an issue.  Of course Rolf could change his mind if he thinks money is to be had in alt sales and make you have to buy the game for each alt much like WO already is, especially if sales increase but not enough to make up for lost WO alt monies.

Edited by yarnevk

Update: Please see the original post for the modified version of the batch file. It now will use Steam cached credentials rather than relaying on storing them in a batch file, a more secure way of handling auto-login for steam. All thanks goes to Steam user Fattox for submitting the modification on the Steam forums:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/366220/discussions/0/483368526590572611/

This doesn't work for me. Trying to log two different chars into the same server results in getting stuck at "Connecting to server..."

Atazs,

Without knowing more about your network, how you're setting up Wurm, whether you're connecting to a public server, or your own, or a plethora of other variables, the only thing that comes to mind right off the top of my head would be that it's losing that SteamID (and maybe a unique session ID) to pass off to the server before it connects. The most likely cause of this being that you start the second client before the first has a chance tot fully connect to the server.

When "Connecting to server..." it should eventually timeout, could you tell me the message you get after that?

Also, are you attempting to do this while Steam is in offline mode? If so that would prevent you from launching and connecting to the server, as Steam has to be online in order to pass off your SteamID to the server.

Have you attempted to connect multiple characters to a different (public) server?

Atazs,

Without knowing more about your network, how you're setting up Wurm, whether you're connecting to a public server, or your own, or a plethora of other variables, the only thing that comes to mind right off the top of my head would be that it's losing that SteamID (and maybe a unique session ID) to pass off to the server before it connects. The most likely cause of this being that you start the second client before the first has a chance tot fully connect to the server.

When "Connecting to server..." it should eventually timeout, could you tell me the message you get after that?

Also, are you attempting to do this while Steam is in offline mode? If so that would prevent you from launching and connecting to the server, as Steam has to be online in order to pass off your SteamID to the server.

Have you attempted to connect multiple characters to a different (public) server?

I log in my character fine, then close steamservices.exe, followed by steam.exe and gameoverlayui

Then i log in steam, start Unlimited and try to connect to the same server that my other character is logged in on. Then it gets stuck on "Connecting to server" with the character that i'm trying to log on while everything works fine on my other one. And it doesn't seem to timeout. And i don't have steam in Offline mode. Should i? I'm also trying to connect both characters to a public server. 

The most likely cause of this being that you start the second client before the first has a chance tot fully connect to the server.

What do you mean by this? If my first client has been logged on for hours, isn't it fully connected to the server? 

Edited by atazs

Worked fine here.... 

What's your Windows version?

Hmmm..... COULD be that the server admin set it to one IP per person, you'd have to ask them.  That's about as good a guess as I can offer, soz.

No, you don't want to be in offline mode, just making sure that wasn't the case.

Yes, that is what I meant by fully connected, just wanted to make sure you weren't just launching the client and leaving it at the launcher. Just trying to rule out everything I can think of immediately. You're definitely taking all the right steps.

Have you tested logging in multiple clients on another public server by chance, this would rule out being anything server specific.

Have you tested logging in multiple clients on another public server by chance, this would rule out being anything server specific.

I can try later. I'm trying to do this on Wyvern by the way. Anyone succeeded doing it there? 

Edited by atazs

Just tested connecting to Wyvern with two characters, and was successful in doing so. I've seen a few thread post about people having issues trying to connect to his server though, so not sure if that problem is related or not.

Whenever i try it, i do the steps, but when i go to relaunch WU for my second client, it crashes the first

With new update I can't get it to work..it keeps telling me that IP is already being used.

Edited by metis

So, to be thorough, I've gone through and updated my Steam (even went as far as a complete fresh install), updated Wurm Unlimited Client, and Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server. I am still able to use my method in order to launch multiple-clients connecting to the same server.

What specifically keeps telling you that your IP address is already being used?

So, to be thorough, I've gone through and updated my Steam (even went as far as a complete fresh install), updated Wurm Unlimited Client, and Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server. I am still able to use my method in order to launch multiple-clients connecting to the same server.

What specifically keeps telling you that your IP address is already being used?

Maybe he's talking about Spy Protection? When someone on the same IP tries to use multiple clients, it tells them someone of a different kingdom is already playing on the server.

Maybe he's talking about Spy Protection? When someone on the same IP tries to use multiple clients, it tells them someone of a different kingdom is already playing on the server.

I have had this happen but i just waited for the timer and it was no problem. It doesn't happen every time, I log in on the main then use the batch and start the client again and log in to steam. Once it try's to connect it either just sits there like it cant connect or stops working or it tells me that my IP is already in use. The weird part is that I have gotten it to work but then after 2 minutes or so the first client I was playing crashes like it was booted from the server.