Sign in to follow this  
Lichbane

Britannia Reborn (PvE) 16,384 map size

NOTE: This server is up and now Live.  Refer this thread for further updates.  

• I welcome comments and suggestions.  My desire is to make this the most Ultima like world I can, but bear in mind that this lore is different from that represented in Ultima IX: Ascension (which itself was inconsistent with Ultima lore).

Updates:

• 1 Feb 2016:  I've settled on a  map size of 16384, which as I've discovered is HUGE!  It biomes still need some work and I will be rebuilding the server.
  • 2 Feb 2016:  The server will be coming down 4 Feb at 6am (UTC) for a few days.  I'll be using this time to rebuild the server files.  Changes will include:
    • Variations to forests (not just Birch as the default tree type)
    • Some additional biomes placed for campaign reasons, including some leading into some epic in-game quests.
    • Attempt to raise dirt from 40 to around 80 to allow for greater terraforming.

If all goes well, I hope to have the servers up some time before the weekend, but I can make no promises.  In the meantime, feel free to scout the countryside.

• 4 Feb 2016:  The server has come down for rework.  No ETA.  I'm aiming for the weekend
  • 7 Feb 2016:  I've hit a snag.  Mycelium is not being imported by the map generation tool.  I need to get this sorted.
  • 8 Feb 2016: The server in now Beta 1.  I'm not anticipating any server wipes anymore (barring world breaking bugs or balance issue).
  • 9 Feb 2016: BLARGLE!  Beta 2 incoming.  Server wipe.  No choice.  The author of the map generator found a solution to my Mycelium problem.  Unfortunately, it means regenerating the map.  (It would be nice if we could import working maps, modify them and put them back in, but currently that's not an option).
  • 10 Feb 2016: Up. Running.  Happy with it.  Going live.  Enjoy.

Original Post:

It's still very much work in progress, but here's a sneak preview of a map I plan to produce as 32768x32768.  I worst comes to worst, I guess it could be done as a 16384 map, if I can't get a server that will run the 32k version.

EAbsP3M.png

It's still rough around the edges (literally).  The northern and eastern coastlines need to be cleaned up and I need to put in some logical constructs, such as drainage and natural river valleys.  For the most part however the main features are in place.

Edited by Lichbane
  • Like 6

looking nice, wonder how long it will take to drop dirt on 32k :P 

bro.... make a westeros map pleeeease

Next project.  I need to finish this one first. :)

Are you going to have issues with some of your land masses touching the border?

Are you going to have issues with some of your land masses touching the border?

Those are the sections that need to be cleaned up.  I need to drop the height to 0, but World Machine is not playing nice in those sections.  I have a solution, but it's a little fiddly.

bro.... make a westeros map pleeeease

Before we do that, we need a way to increase max players to like....10000

Can you have land at the edge of the map though? I thought the edge always had to be water.

Can you have land at the edge of the map though? I thought the edge always had to be water.

again ....

Those are the sections that need to be cleaned up.  I need to drop the height to 0, but World Machine is not playing nice in those sections.  I have a solution, but it's a little fiddly.

As I said here ...

It's still rough around the edges (literally).  The northern and eastern coastlines need to be cleaned up and I need to put in some logical constructs, such as drainage and natural river valleys.  For the most part however the main features are in place.

... and again here ....

... those bits are being cleaned up.

Don't give up on this project. It looks amazing and I cannot wait to play this. Best map or WIP I have seen so far.

Great work!!!

Just to give you an update, it's coming along, slowly.  I'm probably about 60% "terraforming the map" itself.  The main features are in place, but details like logically placed river valleys and mountain ranges are very fiddly.  

Then I need to use something like WGenerator to place all the biomes, rocks minerals and so on.  The tool is really good so far but (last time I checked the thread) it puts down features (biomes, rock, sand, etc) randomly.  I'm hoping that at some point the developer will implement overlays or painting of resources.  I'm also hoping he implements support for 32k maps.

The really big issue that I'm facing right now is being such a large map, I'm having to build a whole new server to generate it with hte software I'm using (World Machine).  What you see there is only 8k pixels a side, which is about 32km x 32km in landmass.  That takes about 3 hours to generate with my current server.  A 16k map (64kmx64km) I need to do overnight.  Due to memory constraints I can't even generate a 32km (128km x 128km) yet ... but I'm working on that.  Then I need to expand that server to actually run the map.  I'm hoping to solve this issue soon ....

... and in the meantime I'm still working on "terraforming" the land.

As to when this will be avaialble, I can't make any promises yet.  It still may be several months before I get there.  But I'm really keen to see what the community can do with a big Britannia map.

Really awesome work so far Lichbane :)

Although I have to admit, I so wish you had made a 4k one first of all, I would love to play a good Britannia map with my wife to build the old towns :)

Really awesome work so far Lichbane :)

Although I have to admit, I so wish you had made a 4k one first of all, I would love to play a good Britannia map with my wife to build the old towns :)

A full 4k map of Britannia really wouldn't work.  It's screaming out for full 32k.  But ....

... what I can do is release an 4k basic heightmap of Occlo.  If people like they can run that through WGenerator and give me some feedback as to how it work out?  Below is a quick-and-dirty of a full sized Occlo as viewed from the West.

8NQFsHz.png

Note that the island is a little bit shattered .... and there's a reason for that.

I'm not sure how much people know about the original plotline for Ultima IX. (this from Wikipedia .... apology for spoilers):

The Avatar and Lord British then travel to Stonegate for the final confrontation with the Guardian, but after it appears that they had successfully killed him, they are told that it is not enough. The columns that the Guardian created have embedded themselves too deeply within the very fabric of Britannia itself, and soon they will destroy the world, funnelling the power of its destruction back into the Guardian, resurrecting him and making him even stronger. The only way to destroy the Guardian is to extinguish the life force of Britannia itself, but the people may be saved by evacuating them to the island of Skara Brae and using the power of the Runes of Virtue to protect them. The Spell of Armageddon is cast, Britannia is destroyed, along with the Guardian and Lord British, but the Avatar is ascended to a higher plane of existence by the power of the spell. The people that were evacuated to Skara Brae are protected by the Runes and they live on....

I'm adopted my own variation on that one.  The Spell of Armageddon doesn't destroy Britannia, as she's tougher than that.  It does however leave her scarred and a bit broken in places.  Once the stasis veil protecting Skara Brae (powered by the Runes of Virtue) has lifted, Britannia has regenerated and is wild but again. No one really knows how much time has passed, but it is open to recolonise.

Edited by Lichbane
  • Like 1

wow Lichbane that is really awesome of you :)

We would gladly use the Occlo one and test it out while we waited for the entire thing, but alas, we would not even know where to start, nevermind get a finished product using Wgenerator hehe.

But thankyou so much for replying and giving us this offer, one day we shall once again walk the paths of Britannia !

I've been working on Dagger Island (rendered as 4096x4096), which is on the north eastern part of the map.  It's home the Dungeon Deceit and the Shrine of Honesty and is north of hte mages island of Moonglow.

yJbR6kH.png

I also did some reworking of Buccaneer's Den as well.  It's a lot smaller, but is also rendered here as a 4096x4096 map.

gozPoMK.png

Moonglow will be what I'm working on next.

Edited by Lichbane
  • Like 1

This looks beautiful. Imagine if Wurm supported land borders. Then you could chop up that map and divide it over different servers. If the main land-mass is decent enough as 16k, maybe it's already an option.

• Like 1

Status: I've finally been able to generate a 16384 x 16384 version of the large scale map in World Machine.  It took over 24 hours (but I may be able to trim that down to about 16 hours) and the process peaked at 28Gb of memory.  Yay for my new server! :)

Going for a scale of 32k is going to blow my limits.  I think this is where I'm going to have to settle.  If I stick with that scale, that means the map will be around 64km on each side.  It's not real world scale .... but it'll have to do.

Edited by Lichbane
  • Like 1

Just letting you know, I've started working the the Map Generator now.  Rivers are in place (mostly).  I'm starting to work on Biomes.  There's a LOT of land space to cover. :)

• Like 1

Shorelines, swamps, rivers and some other minor bits are in place.  Still to do forests (soooooo many different tree types!!!) gravel (I need to go back and regenerate splatmaps for my original map), flowers, clay, tar, peat and so on still to go.

Edited by Lichbane
  • Like 2

Finally!  I have a server up and running that I'm starting to work within the server itself now, placing the old shrines, putting in zones where the old cities and towns would have been ... all that.

Just for a small taste ... Welcome to Skara Brae!

9JlSdYP.jpg

Edited by Lichbane
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aum said:

cant wait!

Bear in mind I'm regarding it as alpha right now.  While the server is open for people to jump in,  there will be the occasional wipe as I make rookie GM mistakes placing items. 

For example, I've run into an issue where I've destroyed the Altar of Three intending to replace it in a much more logical spot .... except it won't let me as it thinks I haven't removed the old one.  I'm learning lots of traps and pitfalls,  but I'm also learning how to rebuild from basics pretty quickly too.  :-)

Edited by Lichbane