Sign in to follow this  
Zenity

Volcanoes, how do we make those?

And no, not the Rod of Eruption type, although those are entertaining they don't provide a source of Adamantine boulders, such as those on WO PvP servers, and the old test servers did.

I know I can just change terrain using GM powers to make ore veins if I choose, or generate them in custom maps, but I'm more interested in avoiding such methods if possible, and give myself a more natural focus for areas of control for PvP servers.

Not sure what you mean to accomplish, if you don't GM or map it or wand it what other way are you proposing since you rejected all the possible ways?

Not sure what you mean to accomplish, if you don't GM or map it or wand it what other way are you proposing since you rejected all the possible ways?

I don't mean that I won't be using GM powers to set up the map, but once set up it's more of a 'hands off' approach unless necessary, much the same way WO is, where GM's are troubleshooters and problem solvers, rather than give in to the temptation to rely on GM powers for.

So what I'm looking for is some way to set the initial conditions, then just play as normal. and glimmer and addy veins, while easy enough to do, are not necessarily the mechanic I'm looking for.

Since I know that Adamantine boulder producing volcanoes are possible, I'm now wondering how?

DO you mean you want players to be given the GM wand and rights to make volcanoes but no other rights? 

Edited by yarnevk

DO you mean you want players to be given the GM wand and rights to make volcanoes but no other rights? 

Nope, I think you're misunderstanding the question.

All I wanted to know is how to make a volcano that periodically produces adamantine boulders, I realise I'll have to either use GM powers or edit the DB's to do that.

It's a normal thing on PvP servers in WO, and I've come across them on the old test servers, so it must be possible to set those up, and leave them 'running' in normal play.

Rod of erruption is your best friend....

Does the rod of eruption leave a volcano that produces addy? I know it pretty much wrecks mountains and leaves a spectacular hole full of lava, but I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for.

I'll make a quick test map and leave it running overnight after violently exploding a nice mountain, see if that helps...

I could point you to the twitch stream for WU release, but they took it down for privacy reason.  In that the other GMs on the server made a nice mess with the wands while the PR guy was trying to show it off.

Edited by yarnevk

We used a rod of eruption on our server to create a volcano. Days later we are finding widespread adamantine boulders.

Bump...

Sounds like the rods are used, but how do we name the volcanoes?

I've seen "such and such rumbles" and "such and such erupts"

Is it as simple as naming the rod before using it?

TIA

On 1/29/2016 at 7:38 PM, Faetyl said:

Bump...

Sounds like the rods are used, but how do we name the volcanoes?

I've seen "such and such rumbles" and "such and such erupts"

Is it as simple as naming the rod before using it?

TIA

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Using rods does indeed create a volcano which spawns Adamantine boulders. The name appears to be random, but can be changed in the database easily enough.

I confirmed by searching for the boulders in the items database.

While I was there, I noticed items are stored with an X of Y coordinate that is 4 times that displayed in game. (For example: if it shows an X coordinate of "4,000" in the database, the in game X coordinate would be "1,000".

Too bad the code creates such rough volcanoes. Could do some pretty cool stuff if the inner walls weren't 1 tile steep.

1 minute ago, bigsteve said:

Coord in Database are in feet,

1 tile is 4 feet long

ah thx

Is it needed to "USE" the rod, or is "plant" enough?

I got:

[21:25:48] The rod of eruption starts to emanate a weird worrying sound.

[21:26:35] The rod of eruption starts to pulsate with a bright light, drawing from the ground.

And then the Rod disappears.

So, if they are in the database, we would be able to add a volcano without having to use a rod actually, just get the x,y coords of the desired mountain, then add an entry to the DB.

I perhaps should have stated my question more accurately, since I know that there were, and still are, volcanoes on the test servers without the associated magawful craters.

And 'Plant is the method for using RoE's, yes, I've destroyed large parts of various test servers planting them and enjoying the fireworks when they go off.

I'd love a more sedate version though, those huge mountain wrecking craters are a trifle much, other than for recreating Mordor ....

So..... they need time befor they "go off" ?

Hm, i guess this Item can´t be used on Freedom Severs without Epic Settings......

Should be changed...... its Wurm "Unlimited", after all ^^

Edited by Caduryn

They do need time, yes, not sure if they can be planted on PvE servers or not actually, I tend to use PvP settings.

Epic settings only affects the skill gain and skill curve aspect of WU servers though.

I may have a play with RoE's some more when I get the chance though, to test out various server settings.

I do know you can't plant them in certain circumstances, such as too close to other kingdoms, so that may be a reason they won't work on Freedom settings, since the whole server is set as one kingdom, but that should stop them being planted at all.

Bump - How to make a volcano in the Database without using Rode of Eruption?

Perhaps - add entity using XY coordinates? 

You can try this:

create a map and copy it. On one map, use rod of eruption to create volcano. Find Volcano in DB and save those settings (re: export).

Replace first map with fresh second map and import data into DB. Now you have a pseudo-volcano producing ore.

But, not too sure that is how DB works.

Will not work, as the terrain changes caused buy the volcanoe are stored in the .map file.

Does anyione know roughly how long it takes the volcano to activate? I used the rod but days later still no event message or boulders?

Rod of eruption works fine check your message you might be to close to a player settlement.

You need to make sure you don't get a message like to close to a settlement. If you get this upon planting the rod you need to move it also examine the rod a few times after placing to make sure it is ticking damage.

The rod only takes a few mins to make a volcano.

It made the volcano fine, I did alter the area around it slightly but I dont think that would make it not function... It is not in a kingdom owned area...

For some reason it is not producing a server event message or boulders...