Sign in to follow this  
AbsolutelyNobody

[RELEASED] Creatures Mod

I wonder if you can reskin reeds or kelp or even lavender into one of the lower bushy varieties of bamboo:

30 Free Bamboo Texture For Your Designs

hibanobambusa-tranquillans-shiroshima.jp

how-to-grow-bamboo-31.jpg

Hmm if you made reskinned wood house using bambo slats / thatch roof  and made a JUNGLE WORLD it might be ... fun!  We need TIGERS for that. Maybe a champion wildcat can be the base model? I seem to recall them being a little bulkier in build than the mountain lion - ocelot. 

** stolen from someone's webpage:

tumblr_n3cme4g49v1tqcz2go2_1280.png

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

I wonder if you can reskin reeds or kelp or even lavender into one of the lower bushy varieties of bamboo:

30 Free Bamboo Texture For Your Designs

hibanobambusa-tranquillans-shiroshima.jp

how-to-grow-bamboo-31.jpg

Hmm if you made reskinned wood house using bambo slats / thatch roof  and made a JUNGLE WORLD it might be ... fun!  We need TIGERS for that. Maybe a champion wildcat can be the base model? I seem to recall them being a little bulkier in build than the mountain lion - ocelot. 

** stolen from someone's webpage:

tumblr_n3cme4g49v1tqcz2go2_1280.png

I'm sure its doable. might look into that

Look what I found in my world :)

nG3tdvr.jpg?1

Not sure if its hard to code this in, but the texture is no problem as you can see

• Like 3

Once you get the modloader version up, I'm absolutely using this one for my server. :D

• Like 1

Can't wait to be able to add this to a new server world for our cluster :D

But I do have a request. It's a huge request. MASSIVE, even.

Hell Bears.

It has been bugging me since the day I got this game that there are hell hounds, horses, spiders and scorpions... but no bears.

Wouldn't it be terrifying to have a freakin' HELL BEAR!?

I wish we had a "random texture" mode.  :)

If we put traits into all the animals like we did with the horses, then you can have all the textures. :)

• Like 1

True!  But I was dreaming big.  Random textures for dirt, grass, rock, etc.  :)  I'll take randomly textured animals though (to start).  :D

• Like 1

If we put traits into all the animals like we did with the horses, then you can have all the textures. :)

I hope that is planned! :D

• Like 1

So for using Ago's mod launcher, you would still have to redo the way this mod is put together right? Starting to go a little above my knowledge :)

So far the best way for testing breeding I found is to go into the database and change all pregnant horses to 0 days. seems to speed it up a lot. But instant would be nice

*The butchered file for panda is missing

I haven't experimented with ago's mod launcher at all. Im hoping I can do something like take the modified code out of the sever.jar class files, add it to a separate class and the code will be applied. Probably not going to be that easy. It's going to take some trail and error. But yes the mod in it's current form wouldn't work with the launcher.

I couldn't get the butchered panda bear texture to work. If you use it to replace Bear_butchered.jpg the brown bear will turn to a butchered panda and using the BearMat.texture=panda_butchered.jpg doesn't appear to work on butchered mappings.

Look what I found in my world :)

nG3tdvr.jpg?1

Not sure if its hard to code this in, but the texture is no problem as you can see

Shouldn't be to hard to code in new tile types. 

I hope that is planned! :D

I don't want to complicate the mod too much until we get a modloader version going. For things like chickens, dogs, and cats it would make more sense to use color traits rather than have separate creatures. So yes it's planned.

• Like 2

would be awesome to get this going with the mod launcher. Will make a lot of people happy.
I'll take a look at that panda tomorrow if I have time, I think I found something that might work.

Here is the file I used for the bamboo: Bamboo

Would be nice if we can set the panda's to spawn just on bamboo

color traits are kind of a must have for those creatures I think. Might not hurt to add some open spots again when you get to coding that. I will add more for sure.

Great work so far

I don't want to complicate the mod too much until we get a modloader version going. For things like chickens, dogs, and cats it would make more sense to use color traits rather than have separate creatures. So yes it's planned.

In the past, when Rolf has experimented with breeding traits, some weird results occured with color traits. 

See, color traits are supposed to be exempt from the other trait slots. No one breeding for 5 speed horses wants to deal with "hidden color traits" that are using up slots that would otherwise go for speed traits. 

Over the years, sometimes we got a massive spurt of 5 speed horses having foals with only 1-3 traits -- apparently because the foal also inherited several color traits but only one was visible. Then on the other extreme we had times with new players breeding horses with way too many traits for their level, apparently using 5-speed horses bred by experienced breders.

I am just saying this because there could be longrange implications to adding color traits that may not be clear for several generations of horse breeding. I am not sure how to check other than to have beta testers one using no mod and one usiong mod-with-changes-A and one -with-changes-B

Or, there might be zero problems whatsoever and nothing at all to worry about :)  I have always believed horse colors used a trait slot "somehow" even if devs said they didn't, And I believed horses could carry several color "genes" not just one gene. So your findings match exactly with what I always suspected to be true. I think maybe they found a way to exempt color traits from the "X many traits for X many levels of Animal husbandry skill" but I think also it periodically gets .. funky. It is possible they somehow put them at "the end of the list" for traits passed on, so that horses passed on speed traits first and various multiple color traits last in priority. Or, maybe not. 

With cows dogs chickens etc it doesn't matter much since usually the one breeders care most about is horse speed traits. 

• Like 1

I think it's a good idea to make the modloader version priority. Anymore changes will complicate the process. Please be patient, it will be worth it. 

• Like 2

That's the issue. I cant compile them because of errors created when decompiling. Alexgopen was apparently successful doing it. I asked in his thread how it was done, awaiting reply.

I used procyon to decompile, it seems to be the best decompiler thus far after trying many many alternatives, but it is not without errors.  Most classes (I'd say about 90-95%) will decompile without errors, but this still doesn't mean they are completely correct, as I found out when bugs started occuring on the server I mod for.  Most of the classes will be able to be recompiled without any changes, others require a few changes to fix syntax errors or variable declarations,  but many errors are much more subtle than this and may go unnoticed. 

One of the main issues I've found with procyon is that it often misses casts, an example of which would be lost float casts on integers, which resulted in my recompiled modded class having integer division in a place where it should've used float division, and this in turn resulted in bugged infinity quality bulk items in bsbs. 

Be cautious about using really large decompiled-recompiled classes, because it's very hard to be sure that the thousands of lines of code you didn't mod are still actually correct after decompiling. 

I'm still hoping that maybe someday we can just have the source code.

once the bamboo gets coded in, you need to update the coding for anacondas.  Make them have a certain 'fondness' for bamboo - Then you got yourself the makings of a true surprise attack.

Need to also do something along the line of reeds to make weedy grass type for fields or wood lines that is difficult to move through, restricts visibility and attracts nasty's   : D

Also, hoping someone comes up with a way to make a 'thicket' type tile... something for the deep woods or something that grows in areas that are being reclaimed by nature.

I wish i could code...  my imagination is running wild  :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone who's working on these creature mods....  you are making WU even more amazing.  Keep up the good work!!

• Like 1

In the past, when Rolf has experimented with breeding traits, some weird results occured with color traits. 

See, color traits are supposed to be exempt from the other trait slots. No one breeding for 5 speed horses wants to deal with "hidden color traits" that are using up slots that would otherwise go for speed traits. 

Over the years, sometimes we got a massive spurt of 5 speed horses having foals with only 1-3 traits -- apparently because the foal also inherited several color traits but only one was visible. Then on the other extreme we had times with new players breeding horses with way too many traits for their level, apparently using 5-speed horses bred by experienced breders.

I am just saying this because there could be longrange implications to adding color traits that may not be clear for several generations of horse breeding. I am not sure how to check other than to have beta testers one using no mod and one usiong mod-with-changes-A and one -with-changes-B

Or, there might be zero problems whatsoever and nothing at all to worry about :)  I have always believed horse colors used a trait slot "somehow" even if devs said they didn't, And I believed horses could carry several color "genes" not just one gene. So your findings match exactly with what I always suspected to be true. I think maybe they found a way to exempt color traits from the "X many traits for X many levels of Animal husbandry skill" but I think also it periodically gets .. funky. It is possible they somehow put them at "the end of the list" for traits passed on, so that horses passed on speed traits first and various multiple color traits last in priority. Or, maybe not. 

With cows dogs chickens etc it doesn't matter much since usually the one breeders care most about is horse speed traits. 

When I tested it I had put my skill to 99, I might just try it with 20 and see what happens.

I also took a look at the database file and found that every pregnant horse gets a trait slot with a long number in it. I think they all started with 21 but in the end look something like 2175636484. I have no clue what the numbers mean but it is directly related to the traits the baby will get. I set it to 5 for one horse and he got all but 1 trait, that includes color traits

So I guess it all matters where in the code it tells the database what that number will be.

I used procyon to decompile, it seems to be the best decompiler thus far after trying many many alternatives, but it is not without errors.  Most classes (I'd say about 90-95%) will decompile without errors, but this still doesn't mean they are completely correct, as I found out when bugs started occuring on the server I mod for.  Most of the classes will be able to be recompiled without any changes, others require a few changes to fix syntax errors or variable declarations,  but many errors are much more subtle than this and may go unnoticed. 

One of the main issues I've found with procyon is that it often misses casts, an example of which would be lost float casts on integers, which resulted in my recompiled modded class having integer division in a place where it should've used float division, and this in turn resulted in bugged infinity quality bulk items in bsbs. 

Be cautious about using really large decompiled-recompiled classes, because it's very hard to be sure that the thousands of lines of code you didn't mod are still actually correct after decompiling. 

I'm still hoping that maybe someday we can just have the source code.

See I was using bytecode viewer and it has procyon build into it. it seems to work ok for the smaller class files but large ones like creature.class seems to just hang and do nothing. 

It's a nice program for someone like me with no coding experience at all. But I have to leave the rest to Crowley :)

When I tested it I had put my skill to 99, I might just try it with 20 and see what happens.

I also took a look at the database file and found that every pregnant horse gets a trait slot with a long number in it. I think they all started with 21 but in the end look something like 2175636484. I have no clue what the numbers mean but it is directly related to the traits the baby will get. I set it to 5 for one horse and he got all but 1 trait, that includes color traits

So I guess it all matters where in the code it tells the database what that number will be.

There is also an "offspring" list that appears to be "conceived but unborn babies", and they list trait numbers that apparently could be edited; I have no idea how to decipher the numbers. Most begin with the numbers "2147" though I have one with "2416" which is odd; I am hoping it is not corrupted trait. Some of the early numbers that they all share  might refer to the trait "Bred in Captivity" (or might not). I imagine some mad mad mad scientist could experiment on poor baby unborn ponies and figure some things out. 

Once the babies are born they seem to migrate to the creature list as "foals" and out of the "offsping" list (which has a countdown to days to birth, maybe you can make all your babies set to 0 for faster incubation)

I have two wildborn brown horses hitched to a cart, they are very easy to find in the database as they are the only two that have "Vehicle" flag. They also both have trait "32768" so that seems to be the brown trait.  That matches with the fact I have two other brown horses who fall into Recently Groomed list and seem to be my other two brown horses and they also have that number "32768"

Sorting by Last Groomed to find my other  personal (not wild spawns)  animals, I can tell based in part on age rankings  trait 65536 matches to my gold mare, trait 262144 is my venerable white mare,  and traits 131072 are my black ram and my two black horses.  But those numbers seem to be way too long to refer to a single color gene? The wild grey horses do not have any number listed -- no surprise there.  Now I take those numbers and look at my named, colored foals (I am not able to read for traits on them yet). But it gets even more confusing. Happynada (-2147220992) is my white foal, her mother  is ID 66313091994369 which matches exactly to the horse I had tagged as my venerable white mare, but her trait number seems to have no connection to her mothers trait even though both have white color. My two brown foals both have the exact same trait number -2147450880, so maybe foals have a different set of identifiers for their brown color genes. My grey foals all have numbers but unlike the brown foals,  no two grey foals have the SAME number. 

Well someday someoen smart will figure it out but I know it ain't agonna be me :P

Now someone else can pick up the puzzle cube and maybe add some additional observations. 

• Like 1

So after spending a lot of time with the modloader, im not that fond of it. No offense to the creator/s I just don't understand how it works and there's no documentation. So the mod will continue in it's current form until another solution comes along. Be warned any mod that changes the same files as this one will override this mod. With that in mind we should try to limit the number of files we change. Rolf mentioned something about supporting mods in an email so hopefully they come up with something.

new animals and Bamboos coming soon :D

• Like 2