Sign in to follow this  
AbsolutelyNobody

[RELEASED] Creatures Mod

Here you go. Mod files for public test, includes Ocelot and Zebra. They should spawn naturally when creating a new server. Not sure if they spawn after a server is populated. You can spawn them using GM wand. I haven't found a good way to add horse-types yet so Mangalarga Marchador not yet included.

MoreAnimalsMod

They do indeed spawn on a prepopulated server

Edited by sunsvortex

They do indeed spawn on a prepopulated server

Riding works fine for me atm. let me try a summoned one

Edit - its just the summoned ones that dont have ride function.

The naturally spawned seem to work fine

Ok more notes as I fly around the server - The zebra is using the black horse models - Im not seeing any naturally spawned black horses.

Thanks for the info. Have you replaced your Horse_Black_512.png to the original texture? The original zebra reskin replaced the black horse so you will need to change it back.

• Like 1

Ahh yes, my bad, got my files mixed up and what I did was put the zebra over the black thinking i was returning it to black. I goofed.

what program are you using to compile? I'm using bytecode viewer, it seems to work but can't compile creature.class for some reason. works fine on the other .class files

Im using IntelliJ IDEA. I think most people prefer eclipse but that seems sluggish to me. See my post on page 2 (#37) for more info.

Not sure what your plans are but a reskin for the gray would be nice. I had them all zebras but since they are thier own animal now I changed them back to grays. Would be cool to change them to something interesting.

Im using IntelliJ IDEA. I think most people prefer eclipse but that seems sluggish to me. See my post on page 2 (#37) for more info.

Blah, I seem to suck at making these programs run :)

Somehow I can open the class files but can't seem to figure out how to edit anything

Not sure what your plans are but a reskin for the gray would be nice. I had them all zebras but since they are thier own animal now I changed them back to grays. Would be cool to change them to something interesting.

I am planning on making a bunch of other horses. If you find one you like just send me a pic

Cool, how about something like these? Love paint horses.

QGU7BjK.jpg

qGnX3td.jpg

Edited by sunsvortex

Cool, how about something like these? Love paint horses.

QGU7BjK.jpg

qGnX3td.jpg

I was thinking about doing one like that next....They would look good in wurm

• Like 1

Blah, I seem to suck at making these programs run :)

Somehow I can open the class files but can't seem to figure out how to edit anything

You gotta decompile the class files into java files.Then edit and compile. Usually each class file is dependent on other classes and you need to properly set-up the project in IntelliJ / Eclipse / ect.. I'll try to upload a quick video or tutorial here soon that shows the process.

I think I figured out how to add horse-types so that we can have all sorts of different colors and breeds without replacing anything. Demo soon :)

*Update*

Horse types added. The Mangalarga Marchador is now it's own horse and doesn't need to replace any existing horses. Technically "marchador" is considered a horse color. Just like white, black, brown, grey, gold, there is now marchador which uses the new texture. Nothing special about the marchador breed in terms of traits, it just looks nice. Should spawn at the same rate as the other horses. To test you can summon horse with the GM wand over and over until the marchador shows up. Or summon 5+ horses at once and you will probably get it. marchador uses the same random color picking method as the other horse colors.

MoreAnimalsMod_1.1.0

Screenshot:

ItkBXsr.jpg

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 4

You gotta decompile the class files into java files.Then edit and compile. Usually each class file is dependent on other classes and you need to properly set-up the project in IntelliJ / Eclipse / ect.. I'll try to upload a quick video or tutorial here soon that shows the process.

I think I figured out how to add horse-types so that we can have all sorts of different colors and breeds without replacing anything. Demo soon :)

*Update*

Horse types added. The Mangalarga Marchador is now it's own horse and doesn't need to replace any existing horses. Technically "marchador" is considered a horse color. Just like white, black, brown, grey, gold, there is now marchador which uses the new texture. Nothing special about the marchador breed in terms of traits, it just looks nice. Should spawn at the same rate as the other horses. To test you can summon horse with the GM wand over and over until the marchador shows up. Or summon 5+ horses at once and you will probably get it. marchador uses the same random color picking method as the other horse colors.

MoreAnimalsMod_1.1.0

Screenshot:

ItkBXsr.jpg

Awesome, I'll be gone most of today but will redo the first post and reorganize everything a bit as soon as I have time so we can start adding more animals without making this a giant mess.

Edited by AbsolutelyNobody

YAY!  Downloading now!  Can we start requesting a library of typical coat colors for addition?  :D

Edit:  As far as where to drop the files, it says "Drag and drop the contents of serverJar folder into the server.jar located at Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher"  However, there are no similar files directly in that jar, there ARE the same files in com/wurmonline/server.  Is that where those files should be dropped?

Edited by JackBinimbul

YAY!  Downloading now!  Can we start requesting a library of typical coat colors for addition?  :D

Edit:  As far as where to drop the files, it says "Drag and drop the contents of serverJar folder into the server.jar located at Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher"  However, there are no similar files directly in that jar, there ARE the same files in com/wurmonline/server.  Is that where those files should be dropped?

Yes you can make requests. But I won't promise you anything :)

And yes you have to find the files in the jar, it sounds like you are on the right track

ok few bugs I found so far:

If I kill a zebra I get a body bag. Now I already found a fix for it but its not really a proper fix.
When a zebra spawns it still gets the color traits added to it, so for example you can have a zebra.brown, or zebra.grey.
So I replaced one of the textures for this:

model.corpse.zebra.grey              = creatures/horse/Horse_corpse.dae?horseMat.texture=Horse_zebra_512.png

Now my zebra.grey will actually have a zebra corpse, but I would have to do this for all the different colors.
So best thing would be to get rid of the color traits all together.

Now i'm not sure about this, but I think we need to do the same thing for a baby zebra

If I kill an Ocelot I get the mountain lion corpse. Now that one is an easy fix.
Just at this:
model.creature.quadraped.lion.ocelot = creatures/mountainlion/Mountain_Lion_main.dae?MountainLionMat.texture=Ocelot_512.png

Edited by AbsolutelyNobody

ok few bugs I found so far:

If I kill a zebra I get a body bag. Now I already found a fix for it but its not really a proper fix.

When a zebra spawns it still gets the color traits added to it, so for example you can have a zebra.brown, or zebra.grey.

So I replaced one of the textures for this:

model.corpse.zebra.grey              = creatures/horse/Horse_corpse.dae?horseMat.texture=Horse_zebra_512.png

Now my zebra.grey will actually have a zebra corpse, but I would have to do this for all the different colors.

So best thing would be to get rid of the color traits all together.

Now i'm not sure about this, but I think we need to do the same thing for a baby zebra

If I kill an Ocelot I get the mountain lion corpse. Now that one is an easy fix.

Just at this:

model.creature.quadraped.lion.ocelot = creatures/mountainlion/Mountain_Lion_main.dae?MountainLionMat.texture=Ocelot_512.png

I agree. No reason to have color traits for Zebra atm. I was under the impression that baby animals had different textures. 

I made a few changes. First the Zebra is much less abundant now because I feel it doesn't fit well in the landscape. They will now spawn only near sand and in less qty. Second the zebra is ride-able! Which is actually a lot of fun. I will address the issues you mentioned and then upload the mod files.

Edited by Crowley

I made a few changes. First the Zebra is much less abundant now because I feel it doesn't fit well in the landscape.

Thats unfortunate - removing the mod. I think it would be better if you let individuals decide what does and doesnt fit well on their server.

Personally I think they work very well and will just reskin existing horses till i have time to put them in myself.

Edited by sunsvortex

Thats unfortunate - removing the mod. I think it would be better if you let individuals decide what does and doesnt fit well on their server.

Personally I think they work very well and will just reskin existing horses till i have time to put them in myself.

The texture files are still available in the mod file so you can always make changes to it or just replace an existing texture.

​Would be nice if we could eventually have an option to turn certain animals on or off, but I have no clue if that is hard to code or not.

I didn't remove them. Zebras spawn less abundantly now than horses. On the next release I will be adding 10 custom horse types, making it easier to change the textures. All that will be required is editing the mappings.txt and dropping textures into the graphics.jar

• Like 1

I didn't remove them. Zebras spawn less abundantly now than horses. On the next release I will be adding 10 custom horse types, making it easier to change the textures. All that will be required is editing the mappings.txt and dropping textures into the graphics.jar

Awesome, at least I know how to change those :)

The texture files are still available in the mod file so you can always make changes to it or just replace an existing texture.

​Would be nice if we could eventually have an option to turn certain animals on or off, but I have no clue if that is hard to code or not.

yep, ill definately be using the textures. Your doing a great job on them so im definately going to stick them in as long as you make and release them.

Getting control of the spawn rate should not be too difficult,. I havent looked at it much as im in Blender most of the time these days but it seems to me that if you emulate what Ago is doing or base everything on a mod loader of some sort, then you should be able to expose some controls to handle individual spawn rates.

Also Im not certain i would release them in packs and stick to releasing individually, at least at first, so people can pick which ones they want to put in. Once you have something in place that gives people control over the ones they want in and not in, then start releasing in packs. Just my opinion on it though.

• Like 1

problem with releasing them separately is that the edits are all in the same files. So you would have to make a separate file package for every combination of animals.
The textures on the other hand you can just pick and choose what you want. 

• Like 1

Everyone thats going to release new animals or for that matter any new assets are going to run into these issues so its a problem that needs addressing. Its not easy, and its a lot of work, but imo will be worth it in the end. Im going to have to do the same thing as soon as I get our models done and ready.

• Like 1