Sign in to follow this  
Taufiq

Tree growth is set to 0 in the default databases and is not able to be configured through the gui

Affects all platforms for Wurm Unlimited builds 828552 and earlier, and Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server builds 828553 and earlier.

Fix

This issue has been fixed for new worlds in Wurm Unlimited build 842455 and Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server build 842456, released 3rd November 2015. There is now an option to configure tree growth in the server gui, which should be set to 20 for the default spread rate.

Issue

Tree growth for new servers is not configurable, and those of the servers in Creative_backup and Adventure_backup are set to 0, which prevents trees from growing or spreading.

A fix has been pushed but will not be available until it has been included in a release, after which the option will be available in the server configuration gui.

Workaround

This workaround is only recommended if you feel confident in modifying the database, otherwise you can wait until the fix has been released. You should not update the database without first shutting down the server and making a backup.

The tree growth configuration item is located in the SERVERS.TREEGROWTH field in the wurmlogin.db database, and is an integer that gives a 1 in <treegrowth> chance of spawning a nearby tree or a one in <treegrowth> chance of spawning a mushroom when the tile is polled. The default value is 20.

Edit: Added notes on fix.

• Like 12

Ouch.  This explains how trees haven't been spreading for me.

Ah, well.  Gives me a chance to weed whack some of this forest density.

can this integer be amended to increase tree growth speed? or does it simply affect the spreading of trees?

What application can I use to open the .db file to make the change?

can this integer be amended to increase tree growth speed? or does it simply affect the spreading of trees?

This doesn't affect the aging of trees, only the sprouting of new ones near existing trees, and the spawning of mushrooms on the ground.

• Like 1

Would it be possible to at some point get some documentation on how these database fields interact? At least until there's proper launcher options for it all.

TBH with this one I'm mainly curious about the SPAWNEDUNIQUE field

Edited by LastChime

This doesn't affect the aging of trees, only the sprouting of new ones near existing trees, and the spawning of mushrooms on the ground.

is there a value somewhere else that affects tree aging time?

is there a value somewhere else that affects tree aging time?

No values that are exposed to easy configuration, sorry.

I checked my wurmlogin.db values using sqlitebrowser for server treegrowth settings its at 20 value, not quite understanding why I had a oak sapling go poof the other day if these values are correct?

Was there a recent update by chance?

Thanks.  This worked.    

Will that need to be reset to the old value before the next patch or should it update over the new value? 

The next patch with not update the value, it only means that new servers have the correct value. It will however make the value accessible from the server configuration GUI.

• Like 2

@Taufiq, guess I am missing something here as I mentioned my values already show 20 which based on your first post is the correct value or did I misunderstand something? 

Edited by Jovena

@Taufiq, guess I am missing something here as I mentioned my values already show 20 which based on your first post is the correct value or did I misunderstand something? 

servers created/launched before a certain date had this setting set at 0

if your server is showing 20 then your fine and do not need to worry about anything

servers created/launched before a certain date had this setting set at 0

if your server is showing 20 then your fine and do not need to worry about anything

Well thats what I thought also, except sapling are still going poof and trees do not appear to be spreading.

Nvm, finally got it fixed manually.

Now I am concerned though that even after manually editing the database value to 20, is Jovena correct is stating all the saplings are still poofing after  a day or so?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

That's certainly concerning - I assume you made the db changes while the server was down? We'll have to see what other processes may be modifying tree tiles.

Nvm, finally got it fixed manually.

Now I am concerned though that even after manually editing the database value to 20, is Jovena correct is stating all the saplings are still poofing after  a day or so?

The difference is the values were at 20 for me by default all I did was check them to verify did not do any changes at that time, later however when I realized the issue persisted then I tried to adjust values to 18 or something other then 20 to see if there was any change.

Sadly I was in a hurry to make my changes and left the server running...needless to say will not repeat that mistake! ;)

Edited by Jovena

Even after switching the setting to 1 our natural tree growth and planted saplings are all disappearing after roughly a RL day or so instead of reaching the next growth stage

Also saplings that were GM grown to the next few growth stages also disappeared / died along the same timeline

I will do some more testing and report back, but I also seem to be losing sprouts planted after manually editing database from 0 to 20 while server was offline.

If I can confirm, would it help for me to zip and upload my server files to an accessible location?

I really do not want to start over ... again. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Could have swore some people claimed to have done this modification and it "supposedly" worked?   Have to see if I can locate those posts think it was on the steam forums and see if they actually seen evidence this workaround works, otherwise we are all wasting our time doing this.

Prior to the issue being reported I planted many oak and willow sprouts in an open area. They are disappeared.

I made the database mod and replanted. Several days later the trees continue to grow and are mostly beyond the new stage now. To me it appears to be working.

~Nappy

Prior to the issue being reported I planted many oak and willow sprouts in an open area. They are disappeared.

I made the database mod and replanted. Several days later the trees continue to grow and are mostly beyond the new stage now. To me it appears to be working.

~Nappy

Happy its working for you, I checked and my treegrowth was already at 20 so that would imply it should work without my messing with it...however it does not.

May I ask what program you used also did you just load up the wurmlogin.db sql file and change just the server treegrowth to the value you wanted, then just hit save or was there another step (other then the normal uploading if needed)?

Happy its working for you, I checked and my treegrowth was already at 20 so that would imply it should work without my messing with it...however it does not.

May I ask what program you used also did you just load up the wurmlogin.db sql file and change just the server treegrowth to the value you wanted, then just hit save or was there another step (other then the normal uploading if needed)?

I used SqliteBrowser and made the change and my trees are repopulating fine now.

I used SqliteBrowser and made the change and my trees are repopulating fine now.

I did it the same way.