Sign in to follow this  
Harkole

Farm Fields dying before chance to harvest

The default server setting means that players on the server are not getting enough time to sleep and work the field - in my own experience I planted the seeds as one of the last things I did then logged in less than 12 hours later to fields of weeds from having missed the harvest time.

Could someone please help by explaining the Field Growth setting? Ideally I'd like a field to last at least 24 hours so players have chance to do various things but I've no idea how to configure the setting to achieve this.

Thanks in advance.

I believe default WO is 8, the lower the setting the faster the growth. 

I "slowed" my fields down by increasing the number to 4  (forget what it was before, maybe 1 or 2) 

I saw a written explanation someplace for how the number worked, I will try to find and link it.

But high number is slower, and WO is 8, I remember those two things.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 3

Farming intervals are initially set to 1 hour. Minimum of 3 hours, maximum of 5.

The original game is one interval every 24 hours.

If you want it to be all over in 24 hours, set it to about 4.5 hours per interval.

Every 4.5 hours, the crops will need tending though.

If you want people who are busy to have a chance, it may be best to set it to 12 hours per interval.

Still faster than live, and gives a chance to keep things rolling.

Otherwise, you need to tend to your crops every hour at default for farming ups, and to see if it's harvest time.

• Like 4

Thank you both for the information, I expected it was a case of higher = slower but wasn't being aggressive enough with the numbers!

at a rate of 2 in the farm field area we are seeing full cycle farming in 10 hours for the five stages.

What is the value in the database for the 24 hour setting? I am using a dedicated linux server so no gui option. Instead I have to shutdown, modify the value, copy back and restart it. Right now fieldgrowth field in wurmlogin.db, Servers table is 3600000

• Like 1

Do the settings work?

We allready set it to 12, but still get a stage every 1 hour.....

Do the settings work?

We allready set it to 12, but still get a stage every 1 hour.....

The settings work. I have mine set to .5 and I get 1 stage per half hour. Takes me 2.5 hours to grow a crop from beginning to finish.

I like how we can speed up crop growth, however, I feel as though we should be able to alter the length of the final stage separately. This way we can have fast crop growth and also have a long widow of opportunity to harvest.

There should also be an option to prevent crops from becoming weeds.

• Like 1

I like how we can speed up crop growth, however, I feel as though we should be able to alter the length of the final stage separately. This way we can have fast crop growth and also have a long widow of opportunity to harvest.

There should also be an option to prevent crops from becoming weeds.

Yes and 10 times yes to each suggestion. It is exactly what I was thinking about while reading this thread. It was already rather frustrating in WO, in a field of 20 of anything, with the RNG adding more or less delay to each, you always had some tiles already turning to weed while 1-2 were still not ripe. We definitely need a way to lengthen the ripe-to-weed period, if not remove it completely if we so wish. WU was supposed to be less "work after work" than WO is after all.

What is the value in the database for the 24 hour setting? I am using a dedicated linux server so no gui option. Instead I have to shutdown, modify the value, copy back and restart it. Right now fieldgrowth field in wurmlogin.db, Servers table is 3600000

Answering my own question after making changes on a vanilla Windows install.

Fieldgrowth GUI setting, Database field value

1.0 3600000

20.0 72000000 (apparently this is similar to WO defaults for servers up all the time)

I love the idea of altering the length of the final stage separately, and I love the idea of having the option to remove the final stage altogether.

Playing on a creative server, I'd love to build farming villages and just leave the crops there without them ever turning into weeds, as decoration. I know I could just change the field growth setting and have each stage take a week/month/longer, but seeing as I don't use GM powers but want a more or less sped up vanilla type of creative server, I still need the crops to eat, cotton to heal and wemp to make ropes. If changing the final stage would be possible, I could still harvest the crops I want to harvest, and leave the rest to sit around and look pretty.

You could always make insta growth one cycle and never die then every hour let you farm it lol...i mean then you can just let er go and farm away till your bored.

You could always make insta growth one cycle and never die then every hour let you farm it lol...i mean then you can just let er go and farm away till your bored.

That would remove any chance to get farming bonuses from tending the field.

Any one able to tell if it is possible to set the final growth stage to be longer than the others. Or is it impossible with the way it is set up and would take some work by the devs?

Any one able to tell if it is possible to set the final growth stage to be longer than the others. Or is it impossible with the way it is set up and would take some work by the devs?

Not at present, sorry. It's a separate check to the growth timer.

Field growth time is the number of hours between farm tile checks, hints should be available when you mouseover the label in the config gui. Every <field growth time> hours the crop tile poller checks all farm tiles to see if they should grow. Field maximum age is hard-coded to 7, which is the weeds stage.

There is also a concurrency bug that we've identified though where multiple pollers are all checking at once, so field growth may occasionally spike.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the reply. It is nice to see a dev replying to this.

I feel as though having an option to prevent the weed stage from occurring would be very appreciated by everyone. It would allow a lot more freedom for players who are only able to play once a week or with very unstable play times. It makes it hard to keep motivated to play when every time you log in to find the work you put into foraging/botanizing and sowing a farm all gone to waste. Even if i set it to 24 hours, I find that the ripe stage only lasts 1 to 2 days. If I am not playing every day then I will miss it.

But someone found a way to stop the crops from turning into weeds. One needs to edit the server.jar file, but according to the thread it is indeed possible to stop crops from turning into weeds:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/133505-wip-various-farming-changes-like-crops-dont-turn-to-weeds/

You're correct, it's absolutely possible to do with mods, as is demonstrated in that thread. I was replying to the question of whether or not it was possible to do with the game as it stands, ie. without development work/modding, sorry if that was not clear.

Hey guys.

I was playing on a server (Olympus Group) that implemented the beta branch a few days ago, and the farm fields worked beautifully after the patch. However, I am now playing "single player", that is, a Creative Server dedicated instance running on the same PC that my client is on, connected via the LAN tab, and I just noticed this morning the same problem, where some fields were in stage 2 or 3 and others were already in the "dried up cotton" appearance. I noticed that this fix was released to live recently. Is the problem perhaps that I am still set to "beta_branch" on Steam, and for some reason the current beta no longer has that fix?

I've recently (past 1-2 days) used a Verify the Integrity of your Tool Cache and not done any modding of the server.

Hey guys.

I was playing on a server (Olympus Group) that implemented the beta branch a few days ago, and the farm fields worked beautifully after the patch. However, I am now playing "single player", that is, a Creative Server dedicated instance running on the same PC that my client is on, connected via the LAN tab, and I just noticed this morning the same problem, where some fields were in stage 2 or 3 and others were already in the "dried up cotton" appearance. I noticed that this fix was released to live recently. Is the problem perhaps that I am still set to "beta_branch" on Steam, and for some reason the current beta no longer has that fix?

I've recently (past 1-2 days) used a Verify the Integrity of your Tool Cache and not done any modding of the server.

• Like 1

Right. I don't mean that I left it too long. If you fail to check it in time, it's on you for not harvesting. But the bug was making harvest time completely unpredictable. If you know you have a 4 hour stage timer and there are 6 stages, then it should be harvestable anywhere from a 20-28 hour window (thanks to having two ticks before weeds). However, with the bug I was getting some fields go from planted to rotten after the first 4 hour tick, and others after 10 hours. It was just random, but seemed to get progressively worse as the server ran on. 

I should update this: I removed beta status and validated my tool cache, and the problem was solved. Apparently the beta branch that was out at the time I posted didn't include that fix for some reason, despite it being live.

I don't think Wurm will implement a no-rotting option because abandoning your fields is a realistic risk and a balance against people not logging in, just like upkeep etc.  The problem was when it was completely random when your fields would be ready.