Sign in to follow this  
mrcrowz

Differences in WU/WO accounts

I was a WO player a few years back but stopped due to lack of interest, but now WU came out with a one-time payment model and I thought it might be interesting since I dont play often enough to justify a monthly fee.

Correct me if i'm wrong, the FAQ says that WU and WO characters are completely separate and cannot interact is that right?

If so, I have a few questions:

1) What are the official worlds currently available to WU players?

2) How active are the official worlds ATM?

3) How are characters managed in WU? If I create a character in the official servers, will its skills and traits be transferred over to private servers when I join them, or will I have to create a separate character for them?

Thanks for your help!

they are completely separate, correct.

There are no official WU muliplayer servers, those are only WO official servers. There are playermade public servers which currently seem to range from 5-50 players online.  Some require you to ask for a password in advance and some do not. WU comes with two premade maps, "Adventure" with NPC + missions and a PvP slant (though with singleplayer it may be a non issue) and Creative. There are also player made maps and a map generator made by player-devs so you can invent your own maps.  You cannot port characters from server to server however SOME private servers will allow you to import your player stats. Otherwise, you have a create a different character for each world. 

The most opular playermade servers are probably the ones here: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/forum/255-server-listings-advertisment/

Each has unique tweaks to skill gain rates etc which is one reason characters mostly cannot transfer from one server to another as some are super fast to level and others are "hardcore"

Some servers allow you to make a deed for free and no upkeep, while others do not, so be sure to research to make sure you find a "totally free" one if that is what you want. (I think the majority are totally free.)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

There are no official WU muliplayer servers, those are only WO official servers. There are playermade public servers which currently seem to range from 5-50 players online.  Some require you to ask for a password in advance and some do not. WU comes with two premade maps, "Adventure" with NPC + missions and a PvP slant (though with singleplayer it may be a non issue) and Creative. There are also player made maps and a map generator made by player-devs so you can invent your own maps.  You cannot port characters from server to server however SOME private servers will allow you to import your player stats. Otherwise, you have a create a different character for each world. 

The most opular playermade servers are probably the ones here: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/forum/255-server-listings-advertisment/

Each has unique tweaks to skill gain rates etc which is one reason characters mostly cannot transfer from one server to another as some are super fast to level and others are "hardcore"

Some servers allow you to make a deed for free and no upkeep, while others do not, so be sure to research to make sure you find a "totally free" one if that is what you want. (I think the majority are totally free.)

5-50 players online? Please get facts right, Wyvern reached 230 players online today and it has more than most wo servers right as i'm typing this reply.

Edited by ownerpure5

I thought there was one higher however I was ingame and unwilling to refrsh the login screen :)

here is Wyvern at off peak hours; currently most servers seem to be double at peak times. So 230 sounds very probable!

However, that is a major exception and most seem to be in the 5-50 range. That may not matter if you decide on Wyvern, but you may or may not find that server to be your preferred match. 

Here is the Wyvern Information Page with all of the details: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/131955-wyvern/

Here is their website, maps and forums:  http://wyverngame.com/

they have separate PvE and PvP islands although most of the chatter I see on their forum section seems to be PvP oriented. 

wyvern.JPG

There are no official WU muliplayer servers, those are only WO official servers. There are playermade public servers which currently seem to range from 5-50 players online.  Some require you to ask for a password in advance and some do not. WU comes with two premade maps, "Adventure" with NPC + missions and a PvP slant (though with singleplayer it may be a non issue) and Creative. There are also player made maps and a map generator made by player-devs so you can invent your own maps.  You cannot port characters from server to server however SOME private servers will allow you to import your player stats. Otherwise, you have a create a different character for each world. 

Thank for your reply!

Are these Adventure and Creative maps multiplayer? Also, will the private servers be absolutely separate, for example they keep track of their own time, economy, players, etc?

Edited by mrcrowz

It is up to the person hosting the game whether they use "Adventure Mode" (premade Storyline/NPCs/Missions/Kingdoms) or "Creative Mode" (blank sandbox mode) and whether they open up to public multiplayer (some are private friends and family only)

Most servers are completely separate, other than GMs who are willing to let you import a character of your own chosen stats. That is usually something stated up front, and those seem to be a minority, so with most you start with a fresh new character and no overlap of economy, characters etc. So to a large degree you cannot try out different servers using the same regular character, or "move" from one server to another uf one closes or you have issues with it. One draw for some to WO is you know what you are getting into and you know in three months that they will still be there. 

From what I understand each server can have more than one landmass/map? So by travelling to the edge of the map you can travel to another map within the server, is that correct?

From what I understand each server can have more than one landmass/map? So by travelling to the edge of the map you can travel to another map within the server, is that correct?

I do not know whether anyone is actually using multiple maps yet other than Wyvern.   They  CAN have that especially with beefier hardware servers. It spreads out players a lot so some are holding off to see how much population they have down the road. If you have under 50 players, multiple maps does not make a lot of sense since one big map will still get people hopelessly lost and isolated :D