Sign in to follow this  
CitadelServers

Rentable Wurm Dedicated Game Server Hosting at CitadelServers.com

Righto so I got the same server files and brought a Xen VDS today. I wanted to make sure that my review of my time with these guys was true and correct;

I'd not recommend them. I could run a 2k map with no real issues but when it come to 4k -
The server I was being hosted on kept crapping out and wouldn't properly boot even after 6 hours left up.
Thinking that I may be at fault because I'm new to Wurm servers I decided to get a VDS and try run the same config there;
I took the same server files and got a VDS with Debian 7. for only a few dollars more than the 2GB package with these guys and just to add an extra lol I increased the NPC count from 50k to 250k and it still runs/boots within a min.
I'd assume overselling of ram or maxed out CPU's on some servers. From what I could tell in my tests I managed to run while still hosted with them, it seemed to be oversold ram as my server couldn't load past 1.06GB most of the time and it sat closer to 1.15GB usually 

EDIT: It should of actually sat at 1.6GB, the same files with same settings on VDS are actually running at 1.6GB so I'm almost 100% certain they had me on an oversold server.

Edited by AlexLong
  • Like 1

I ordered a server from Citadel servers and my experience is as follows: 

We were noticing alot of peformance issues even doing basic stuff, things like building walls in GM mode made the server lag for 1-5 seconds, mass raising and flattening of dirt tiles caused it to lag solid for up to 20 seconds. Load times were alot longer on Citadel servers aswell, it was taking up to 10 minutes to load a live map. We tried as many things a possible to rule out the possibilities of mods causing these issues but nothing worked, even the base creative map was causing the server to hang. There was also alot of issues with FTP randomly not being able to be accessed and somehow ports on their side became unforwarded and had to submit a support ticket for them even fix the issue(shouldn't be an issue in the first place). I don't believe the server could even handle the current active player base that we have now. 

The current server we are hosting ourselves never had ANY of these issues and runs on a dual core 3.6ghz AMD processor, 4gb of ram and it could handle alot more intensive actions without even breaking a sweat.

Citadel servers are oversold and overloaded, simple as that, I would NOT recommend them and suggest moving on.

For those interested, load up logs

Current Server Load Logs: 

http://pastebin.com/nDPA9D0P

Citadel Server Load Logs:
http://pastebin.com/h4AhepFX

Edited by WesncIsMe
  • Like 2

I can attest to the fact they suck.  What is worse concerns the refund policy. They give you "credit".. Who in their right mind would use them for anything. Refund is something they don't seem to do. Instead they pretend to fix problems, and the next day it is broke again. Total player count on our server during testing? TWO PEOPLE. And it could not even support that. Ridiculous and terribly disappointing. It is a dis-service to people here allowing them to spam adverts about how great they are when in fact their services are horrible.

On 21/11/2015, 01:46:02, AlexLong said:

Righto so I got the same server files and brought a Xen VDS today. I wanted to make sure that my review of my time with these guys was true and correct;

I'd not recommend them. I could run a 2k map with no real issues but when it come to 4k -
The server I was being hosted on kept crapping out and wouldn't properly boot even after 6 hours left up.
Thinking that I may be at fault because I'm new to Wurm servers I decided to get a VDS and try run the same config there;
I took the same server files and got a VDS with Debian 7. for only a few dollars more than the 2GB package with these guys and just to add an extra lol I increased the NPC count from 50k to 250k and it still runs/boots within a min.
I'd assume overselling of ram or maxed out CPU's on some servers. From what I could tell in my tests I managed to run while still hosted with them, it seemed to be oversold ram as my server couldn't load past 1.06GB most of the time and it sat closer to 1.15GB usually 

EDIT: It should of actually sat at 1.6GB, the same files with same settings on VDS are actually running at 1.6GB so I'm almost 100% certain they had me on an oversold server.

Hello AlexLong, we loadbalance all our servers, we have many clients running 2048x2048 maps and 4096x4096 maps, load times however will vary depending on how large the map is, a 4k map can take a minute or so to startup due to the huge amount of resources it has to load into ram. It potentially could have been a configuration issue that was causing this problem that you are stating, please put in a support ticket and we would be happy to help you investigate the issue and provide a resolution to getting it faster for you.

• Like 1

blackfriday.png

Citadel Servers proudly presents, the Black Friday - Cyber Monday sale! 10% off all servers with the code BFCM10

This code works for all games, billing cycles, and every new purchase.

took about 5 hours, but i finally got my custom map and all the mods I wanted loaded up.  2k map 10k animals,  only 600mb ram in use ,  signed up for 2GB, hope to add more animals. but easier to GM edit the map i think without .  helpful staff.

still waiting to get an API key to show server stats on the own website, but Citadele is perfect for me and my players, no lags and server 100% up,,nice work guys

Hey validate,

I am running 21k creatures and I am at 1.05 gigs. Just an fyi.  Like you I have 2GB ram.  2k custom map :)   And we just had our second unique natural spawn on us :)  Venerable blue dragon YaY

• Like 1

On 11/26/2015, 2:38:58, CitadelServers said:

Hello AlexLong, we loadbalance all our servers, we have many clients running 2048x2048 maps and 4096x4096 maps, load times however will vary depending on how large the map is, a 4k map can take a minute or so to startup due to the huge amount of resources it has to load into ram. It potentially could have been a configuration issue that was causing this problem that you are stating, please put in a support ticket and we would be happy to help you investigate the issue and provide a resolution to getting it faster for you.

This is just not the case. Your servers couldn't handle booting my Wurm Server with a 4k map and 50k creatures, no mods.. As soon as I took them files to my VDS it booted within 2 mins. And I'm pretty sure after 8 hours trying to load. It's no longer called "load time" just a failure to launch.

• Like 3

On 4.12.2015 at 3:48 AM, AlexLong said:

This is just not the case. Your servers couldn't handle booting my Wurm Server with a 4k map and 50k creatures, no mods.. As soon as I took them files to my VDS it booted within 2 mins. And I'm pretty sure after 8 hours trying to load. It's no longer called "load time" just a failure to launch.

We have also 60k mobs and much mods, but no problems since over a month, no lags no server crashes. If i restart the server, its on within a minute or less

Edited by Eject

Now is our Server Down for 4 Hours, no Answer for Support Mail :( Its the 2. Time in 2 Days!!!

Edited by Soonwaldler

38 minutes ago, Soonwaldler said:

Now is our Server Down for 4 Hours, no Answer for Support Mail :( Its the 2. Time in 2 Days!!!

Same to us, 3. time in the last few Days.

Their daily  backup now generates 30 log files of 10MBytes each, which quickly fills your storage space, so yes a crash every few days will be normal until fixed

6 hours ago, zMole said:

Their daily  backup now generates 30 log files of 10MBytes each, which quickly fills your storage space, so yes a crash every few days will be normal until fixed

No, this Time it was way more, Both, Host-site and Control Panel was down, and several German located Servers too.

If you have no control panel, how do you know that it was more?

Because i got Informations about it from other Server-Owners.

Happens when people who have no idea are doing their own server renting business. You can't become a technician from youtube tutorials... seriously...

• Like 3

i never had downtimes except i stoped the server by myself. i just had 10 server restarts in a minute around the 31. dec. but i figured out ...that was a mod

Edited by Eject

Odd, Mine is still up and running and has been for the past 6 days.  Ive been running roughly 7 days between manual restarts that I perform and not Citadel.

30 minutes ago, Soonwaldler said:

Now 5 Hours down and no Answer to my Ticket :-(

Same, and slowly getting really upset with that "Service".

I am assuming that you, the clients in question above are in the same location and server as this is the only incident that has resulted in minor downtime. We are aware of an issue with one of our servers in our German location in the last few days, we investigated this and found RAM was faulty on this machine which was causing the dedicated server node to crash. This was resolved by our engineers and no further downtime is expected on this dedicated server. Besides that we apologize for the longer delays to our support over the new year-early janurary period, several of our staff were on holiday like yourselves and one of our senior technicans was recently seriously injured in a motorbike accident which meant our team was much smaller and we had a large unexpected surge of tickets over this period causing these delays, we have caught up with all our clients tickets now however so response times have returned to normal.

On 01/01/2016 at 9:34 AM, zMole said:

We will look into this, please contact us directly if you see any issues like this however we do not limit hard drive capacity like other providers.

On 01/01/2016 at 3:56 PM, Caduryn said:

No, this Time it was way more, Both, Host-site and Control Panel was down, and several German located Servers too.

If a dedicated server is down the control panel will not function for it, as people have stated in this thread, this was isolated to the german location and one german server only. As stated this is resolved, if you have any further issues, please feel free to contact us

• Like 1