Sign in to follow this  
Zenity

[Request] In game Map injection tool.

Given the number of custom maps being produced by all and sundry, I have a request.

Can someone please produce a handy tool that will inject the custom server map into the client jar?

I have about as much coding ability as the average harvest mouse, otherwise I'd attempt something.

I know how to do this by hand, but not everyone is happy about rooting around in .jar files, so a more automated process would be appreciated, even a CLI tool would be a good start.

• Like 1

It isn't hard at all to do it manually. But I too had thought the same as you. A batch file would do well enough but it has been many years since I've done anything like that. A proper utility in some common programming language that is user friendly would work best. In the meantime I'm fine with doing it manually.

• Like 1

Reposting my reply to another topic

One useful tool for dedicated servers would be like this:

-you have your dedicated server and put mods, created new items, 3D models, textures, custom map, sound.... 

-so you can define in the tool("ServerGate") all extra files that need to be installed on client

-clients run the tool with the server IP/Name/ID and it will get the list of what must be downloaded/installed from server X and have the complete experience with the server mod and customizations.

-The tool will download and update the files and inject inside the jar files with the server needs.

-if the person decide to play on another server, the tool will update(or restore) the .jar again.

I think Neverwinter Nights 2 has something like that for persistent servers made by community

http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/tool/worldgate  

probably something similar to this could be done for WU

A better option... the Devs could update WU to work like Space Engineers in multiplayer, when you join a server, all mods are downloaded and installed in a unique folder for this server, everything is automatic.

but I'm not a programmer, so i don't know if something like this would be possible in WU or with java :D

• Like 1

I was just thinking... map name is sent by the server... just need someone with a decent client-side mod loader to override some stuff in the render.gui.Map.class to pull the resource...