Sign in to follow this  
Outlaw

Refund? No 'offline' mode.

*Because I used Steam Wallet funds, I doubt there is anything CC can do. (Steam might as well tear up your receipt in front of you and laugh, their refund policy is that bad)

I'll enjoy it for what it is then. It's still great fun playing online with friends.

However, I would like to see 'Internet Connection Required' added to the store page, so others don't purchase this thinking the same*

After reading another users post about how they had to escalate to a fraud claim with their bank in order to get their money back, I too would like a refund.

I bought WU thinking I could always rely on it as a singleplayer, offline backup for when my internet was down or wurm was offline etc.

Looking through the store page again and other posts regarding WU, I didn't see anything saying online only or internet connection required.

wurmonlineonly.png

As I have played over 2 hours on a server before realizing this, steam is refusing to give a refund.

Is it possible to get a refund through Code Club?

Edited by Outlaw
  • Like 2

Do no think CC will issue a refund but you can always start a dispute with your bank or paypal

nothing saying offline mode either... could always make the suggestion that they put in an option to have that.

Edited by Nicrolis

nothing saying offline mode either... could always make the suggestion that they put in an option to have that.

It should specifically state you need an internet connection, not the other way around, under system requirements.

Well, guess I'm stuck with it...I used steam wallet funds rather than my paypal...just gotta hope for an update or mod then.

Edited by Outlaw

It should specifically state you need an internet connection, not the other way around, under system requirements.

Well, guess I'm stuck with it...I used steam wallet funds rather than my paypal...just gotta hope for an update or mod then.

All steam games require you to be online since you need to sign in steam to start them right?

Try this https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555 you need to turn steam into offline mode, tried it works fine for me when I put it in offline mode helps to google around before you post rants =P

All steam games require you to be online since you need to sign in steam to start them right?

Try this https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555 you need to turn steam into offline mode, tried it works fine for me when I put it in offline mode helps to google around before you post rants =P

does this mean you can play the games when you have no internet?  or are you just turning off steam?

ok read thru looks like should be offline as in no internet.  If this is true should maybe post this steam link to the WU toolbox, or have a sticky made

Edited by Lolabelle

does this mean you can play the games when you have no internet?  or are you just turning off steam?

Once you login a steam account, you can turn it into offline mode which keeps your session active offline more or less.

wwZxDGo.png

Edited by erozaxx
  • Like 1

Ppl who keep defending offline playing with obligatory internet connection, can't you just try to look at it from the other side? Just because YOU don't need this functionality does not mean it can't be important to someone else. Steam has 125 million active users. The users are from every possible corner of the world with different lifestyles, different internet connectivity speeds, plans and use cases. Can't you just imagine, that what is a daily bread for you can be expensive and hassle for someone else?
And your arguments like "it was not explicitedly said" is like if you bought a car and find out, you can't drive it on wednesdays and ppl would argue - it was not explicitly said you can drive it on wednesday. You can always drive the car on Tue, Fri etc. And on wednesday you can always go by bus.

Just look at it like Offline mode for someone really evokes OFFLINE - completely offline no Internet, no Steam - going in train, being on a cottage in the middle of woods with closest civilized place 50km away. Or here in EU being in different country with roaming data plan 1EUR for 1MB of data. I really did not buy single player game for 25 EUR to pay another 25 EUR a day for playing it in offline mode. If I was willing to pay this, I'd play Wurm Online, did not need WU.

Edited by erozaxx

You can play most steam games offline after logging in once at some point to download the game etc...after that you can run steam without an internet connection and play fine.

Does this work with Wurm Unlimited though? Say someone else say it doesn't because of how the server launcher works where you server has to get posted into the server browser or something, even if you're playing solo.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Like 1

You can play most steam games offline after logging in once at some point to download the game etc...after that you can run steam without an internet connection and play fine.

Does this work with Wurm Unlimited though? Say someone else say it doesn't because of how the server launcher works where you server has to get posted into the server browser or something, even if you're playing solo.

In my "Adventure of Failures" with WU I discovered that games on steam can be played without internet connections so long as you initially use steam to validate/ update/ molest or whatever it does to the games, first. Then you can use offline mode before loosing internet connections to play the games without using the internet. . . . . . b u t ... with WU the server has to connect, it will not work in offline mode, you cannot get the game up and running without a connection first; you can unplug the cables after the server is running in a LAN but if it crashes or gets shutdown, you will have to plug back into the internet.

So, yes it's a single player game that can be played offline but only if you start it online.

• Like 1

All Steam products require online activation, not usage. CC does sell WU, not sure why you think they dont but WU is their responsibility.

I am a bit disappointed myself that i cant just connect to localhost and forego the Steam validation. I suppose it would become too easy to pirate from that point.

Cares about what???

CC doesn't sell WU, that is Steam and its distributors

All Steam products require Online usage

Almost all single player games just require you to log into steam once to validate, after that, you can play totally offline.

Nowhere on steam page did it state WU was online only...infact it said 'singleplayer', something it really isn't. It's fully multiplayer with the option to lock everyone else out. (Effectively making it singleplayer, but every server must be ran as though it is a multiplayer game being run)

So because you set up your game environment differently its somehow automatically not a single player game? Are you feeling okay or did we just swap out logic with wogic?

Just so you know, Terraria, Im sure you've heard of it by now. Its "single player" is also a server, You can fully connect to friends with a slight change of options and be well on your way.

^Additionally im sure your well aware minecraft's singleplayer is a server. - - - - - - Kinda. 

Additionally, The page did not specifically state "offline mode".  it DOES specify "MMO" so you should be fully aware that it does require a internet connection to play. if the MMO Tag didn't get you, Maybe Multiplayer Or Co-Op tags will get you? 

So basically you can play offline if you want and use steams offline mode on a lan and you need internet to download it and start the server.

So basically you can play offline if you want and use steams offline mode on a lan and you need internet to download it and start the server.

No. If you start Steam in the true offline mode (the one where you can't access your friends list), the server cannot authenticate the client and you won't be able to connect.

• Like 1

So because you set up your game environment differently its somehow automatically not a single player game? Are you feeling okay or did we just swap out logic with wogic?

Just so you know, Terraria, Im sure you've heard of it by now. Its "single player" is also a server, You can fully connect to friends with a slight change of options and be well on your way.

^Additionally im sure your well aware minecraft's singleplayer is a server. - - - - - - Kinda. 

Additionally, The page did not specifically state "offline mode".  it DOES specify "MMO" so you should be fully aware that it does require a internet connection to play. if the MMO Tag didn't get you, Maybe Multiplayer Or Co-Op tags will get you? 

wwZxDGo.png

At least read few posts before the one you react to. If you want to react.  If you would read whole topic, you would see, that all you stated was already discussed.

Cares about what???

CC doesn't sell WU, that is Steam and its distributors

All Steam products require Online usage

I have bought the game from CC (pre-release) not from Steam. Your "require Online usage" fail was already answered.

No. If you start Steam in the true offline mode (the one where you can't access your friends list), the server cannot authenticate the client and you won't be able to connect.

"you need internet to download it and start the server."

if you dont have internet you aint downloading it in the first place

so yes you can play offline if you use steams offline mode where you freaking downloaded it.

It was not sold as an offline game.

Edited by Uberknot

"you need internet to download it and start the server."

if you dont have internet you aint downloading it in the first place

so yes you can play offline if you use steams offline mode where you freaking downloaded it.

It was not sold as an offline game.

I missed the 'start the server' part and you are correct in that it isn't sold as an offline game. Other games that offer the same combo (client + server) are sometimes a bit more flexible as they let you input an IP-address to connect to instead of using the Steam servers. If Steam's fake 'offline' mode didn't show you in-game, my problem would be solved so maybe I should go prepare for the fight with Lord Gaben.

It won't stop me from enjoying WU however but it would be nice to see an option to directly connect to an IP sometime in the future.

Edited by BadLuckBurt
  • Like 1