Sign in to follow this  
DioSan

Vulcan Land Hand Painted Map [4096]

EDIT:

I made this map in 2015 when Wurm Unlimited was released, it was an experiment to see if it would be possible to create a custom heightmap painted by hand inside photoshop.

I no longer have the original .PSD files but the heightmap can be opened in an editor available in the mod tools forums here if you want to make modifications.

-------------------------------------------

Hello people.  :D
Posting to share a custom map i did.
I painted the heightmap in photoshop and use the generator to put the resources and ore.
It is fully set up, just put in the server folder adjust the settings to your liking and play.
The season is set for summer

the spawn coordinate is already set to the center of the map, change if you want

Download link 
55.1mb compacted (RAR)

Extract inside the folder WurmServerLauncher and run the server.

I'm making changes so that it will show the custom map in game when you press M, for now appears the default global map.

Edit to explain trees
I have not filled the map with trees, I left a lot of space without trees, most are scattered around the map, forests in different regions. 
i found interesting let some big areas without trees. with time, they will grow and spread (even in open areas you will find a few scattered trees, so it can spread).
if you want to fill it with trees, just use the magnificent magic wand :D

Album with in-game screens here http://imgur.com/a/tOOOj

Map
Lf9Q3Zw.jpg

Edited by DioSan
Fix links
  • Like 5

Bit large for my taste, but very nice looking.

I did find a problem with the download though, although it runs fine, it seems to default to the password set, even when you try to change it, after logging in a few times it began rejecting me, despite using the original password, so I ended up resetting the db's.

Not a huge issue, but it might be better to reset the db's before publishing, since odd things can happen with dirty db's.

Definitely a very interesting map, it feels 'smooth', the hills and mountains are nicely rounded, I'll have to spend a bit more time on it, but for a large server map it's very nice indeed.

Just a note on ingame maps, as far as I know it needs a client change to show the server maps, so I'm not certain there's anything you can do to inject those automatically, I may be wrong, but we lack a nice map injection tool for that.

Edited by Zenity

I did it with dedicated multiplayer server in mind.

I have updated the download file (same link) with a clean database.

I'm doing tests with hand painted heightmap, the result is better than a heightmap generated with the WGenerator because you have more control painting with brushes and textured brushes. it's easy to make rough or smooth mountains, hills, clifs, rivers, roads, etc where you want and go to rough to smooth.

I will try the Unity terrain system and export the heightmap from there to see the results.  Also a heightmap exported from a terrain made with zbrush.

I know about this problem with the client change. but what i want to do is just a map for anyone to add to the jar if you want.
Using winrar anyone can change the standard WO global map and the game will show the custom map if it has the same size and name.

I tested it and it worked. 

One useful tool for dedicated servers would be like this:

-you have your dedicated server and put mods, created new items, 3D models, textures, custom map, sound.... 
-so you can define in the tool("ServerGate") all extra files that need to be installed on client
-clients run the tool with the server IP/Name/ID and it will get the list of what must be installed to server X and have the complete experience with the server mod and customizations.
-The tool will download and update the files and inject inside the jar files with the server needs.

-if the person decide to play on another server, the tool will update(or restore) the .jar again.

I think Neverwinter Nights 2 has something like that for persistent servers made by community
http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/tool/worldgate  
probably something similar to this could be done for WU

A better option... the Devs could update WU to work like Space Engineers in multiplayer, when you join a server, all mods are downloaded and installed in a unique folder for this server, everything is automatic.

but I'm not a programmer, so i don't know if something like this would be possible in WU or with java :D

One useful tool for dedicated servers would be like this:

-you have your dedicated server and put mods, created new items, 3D models, textures, custom map, sound.... 

-so you can define in the tool("ServerGate") all extra files that need to be installed on client

Absoutley love this map an would LOVE to use it but something is wrong with logging in, I can get online sometimes and other times my server logs entrys are:

==================================================================

Wurm Server launcher finished at Sat May 07 14:05:44 PDT 2016

==================================================================

Server connected to steam
Client was Authenticated
Client was Authenticated
Client was  NOT Authenticated
Client was Authenticated
Client was Authenticated

Its like random, sometimes people can login in with existing character and then new players cant login it says authenticated then when they stop trying to connect it says NOT  please help

Thanks!@

Would like to let you know we are running your map on Lands Of Norhaven, off of our east coast, lovely map, so far so good!!!  Thank YOu!

Rich

Delay?  I posted minutes ago we are running your map no issues yet :)  

Players LOVE it!!!

This map is perfect!

Is possible to make it bigger, 8K or 16K instead 4k?

Thank you!

Any chance of getting the map image reuploaded?  Its not working for me for some reason and would really like to see it!

On 26/02/2017 at 2:38 AM, Clatius said:

What is meant by hand painted? 

The heightmap was painted by hand using photoshop with a black canvas and brushes, without auto generation software.

16 hours ago, Andrexea said:

Any chance of getting the map image reuploaded?  Its not working for me for some reason and would really like to see it!

Dropbox has changed the way files are shared, the links have been fixed

Im gonna use this for my server as well as its exactly what ive been looking for!  All the resources and such are on this map correct?  Honestly not sure how that works as this will be my first WU server.