Sign in to follow this  
cmiddlebrook

Tutorial: How to Install Custom Maps & Clean Your Database

I have recorded a video showing exactly how to install the maps in this section of forum, and how to fix the problem of the server 'hanging' with some maps. I also show how to clean up your database so you can get a truly fresh new start on your chosen map. In the blog post I also link to all the resources mentioned in the video:

http://www.rheyansgaming.com/tutorial-how-to-install-custom-maps-clean-your-database-in-wurm-unlimited/

• Like 10

I have recorded a video showing exactly how to install the maps in this section of forum, and how to fix the problem of the server 'hanging' with some maps. I also show how to clean up your database so you can get a truly fresh new start on your chosen map. In the blog post I also link to all the resources mentioned in the video:

http://www.rheyansgaming.com/tutorial-how-to-install-custom-maps-clean-your-database-in-wurm-unlimited/

ha i giggled when you had to change her hair :P

any idea how to make it spring instead of winter?

Hehe well it was *really* bad hair lol!

Actually yes I have now figured that out and will probably make a very short video for it. Using a database editor such as the SQL Lite Browser mentioned in the video, open up the wurmlogin.db, select the SERVERS table, and edit the WORLDTIME value. Whilst I don't know how the values work, I currently have 5584000 which is Summer time.

• Like 1

Good Tutorial!

Its also very easy to put a custom map in-game.

i'm making a map template to share

Y0AgDdi.jpg

Edited by DioSan
  • Like 6

how do you get your custom map to show in game like that? when i hit my map key it brings up the wurm online world map

You need to copy it into your Client manually at present, using 7-zip or winrar to open the Jar files and copy your server map image

My generator is not saving into the WU server folder like it does in your video. If I load the file from there it still saves it to my generator folder. How do I fix that?

My generator is not saving into the WU server folder like it does in your video. If I load the file from there it still saves it to my generator folder. How do I fix that?

You can't change where the files are saved from the map generator. Copy them from where they are created into your server directory.

When I run the Rebuild-dbs.bat it tells me it cannot find any of the files to rebuild?

When I run the Rebuild-dbs.bat it tells me it cannot find any of the files to rebuild?

That batch file is looking for the files wurmcreatures,wurmdeities,wurmeconomy,wurmitems,wurmlogin,wurmlogs,wurmplayers,wurmtemplates,wurmzones, all ending in .sql. If they have gone missing from your server directory somehow, try copying the ones from the Creative server that came with the download. If they are also deleted then you'll need to re-download from Steam.

But they are there

**EDIT**

I was dumb and created a network shortcut to my Server and not a local :P

/blush

Edited by nvrsbr

The Rebuild Database seems to mess things up quite a bit.

#1. Turns the server to Winter (I fixed that one).

#2. When choosing to copy Adventure once you rebuild the database the skillups and stuff are way too fast.

Like chop a tree down really quickly and only get 1 log from it?

**Does not seem to retain what Adventure should be set to.

Edited by nvrsbr

I've only played on Creative so can't comment on Adventure mode.

It looks like when you copy Adventure it takes on the rates from Creative, so you have to manually set them back to Adventures rates.

Edited by nvrsbr

from what i have seen so far the whole freezing part is what you get when either you zipped it up via compression(like it tends to be the case with downloaded ones) or stored on a drive with compression active or a few other reasons that add or delete bits of data inside of those static size maps

for some weird reason rolf&co decided that the maps should be a static size in file size and leave everything empty that isnt being used which causes quite a few issues when you run them through compression for some reason atleast from what i gather from my own experiences and speaking with others

i really do hope that at some point in time issues like this will be fixed but anyway nice vid :3

• Like 1

ive never rebuilt bat file thingy just drag drop and done never had an issue yet

Edited by damine

ok so i think ive figured it out mostly

the reason maps dont save properly sometimes is that we push save images after we push save map files, it ends up black screen in map viewer

save map files is the last thing you wanna do in wgenerator before checking the top_layer with map viewer.  if its good in map viewer then it should load up just fine

as for the db stuff, better to clean it out of the rebuild files, insertwurmzones.sql and insertwurmitems.sql  then when you rebuild ur all clean n fresh, i do this in a copy of creative that i make copies from since i end up with alot of test maps!!

• Like 1

On 10/26/2015, 1:30:37, Zenity said:

You need to copy it into your Client manually at present, using 7-zip or winrar to open the Jar files and copy your server map image

I was playing with this but I can't figure out where the map is actually stored... can you give more info please?  I would love to be able to copy my map in so it shows ingame :)

You need to open "[steam path]\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\packs\graphics.jar" using a zip program, then replace the correct file in "gui\testmaps".  The file will depend on how your server was set up.  If you get the Ocrea map when you open it in-game, then replace Ocrea.png.  Etc.

The issue I found with custome maps is unless there named Ocrea they want show up even if you change it to the name of your map in the sql data base it will show a default map of all maps connected. I found the easiest way was just to name your map Ocera and replace the one in the maps folder with yours named Ocera.

I've not looked into it yet.  Maybe you might have to also change or add something in the mapping.txt file I really haven't looked into it yet but I do recall seeing some where near the start map locations in the mapping file. I'd have to check into it but been busy working on models and rigging and online C# courses.

Edited by Arkonick