Sign in to follow this  
Leroy

Cancelling Unlimited sadly

you click manage then start select adventure or creative in the server tab ( seperate windows ) and hit start server.  then check the lan tab should be there.  if not something is stopping it like a virus program or firewall.

Edited by Uberknot

I don't know a ton on internet settings and programming. Not sure why I won't work for you. Maybe in a while we'll all know more and can help. I bought two and run the server on one and play solo or with an alt. But. Not sure what would happen if I unplugged the net and just left lan. Would be nice if it did work. Then lap top while traveling. Would be fun no net.

Glad u got refund through steam though . Check back in a few months maybe

Someone will mod it to be free on the net

I bet you are running some shitty firewall software like Norton Security. There is simply not good reason why a properly setup PC could not connect to a LAN server running on localhost/127.0.0.1.

If you have Norton Internet Security then remove it.

That is a really bad idea. There is some kind of Steam refund program which should be used, otherwhise you can get your whole steam account banned, with all your other games.

Steam doesn't understand any fun when it comes to broken payments.

This is true, my brother called his bank. They gladly refunded the payment, two days later steam banned his entire account for reason: Charge back. I was over at his house when it happened I seen it with my own eyes.

• Like 1

This is true, my brother called his bank. They gladly refunded the payment, two days later steam banned his entire account for reason: Charge back. I was over at his house when it happened I seen it with my own eyes.

ouch

I've had an issue where the connect did time out too.

The reason was another network interface (VirtualBox in that case) which the client used instead of the LAN connection. Disabling that network interface fixed the problem.

Windows has builtin tool which shows the network connections. Start "resmon" (or Task manager -> Performance tab -> "Resource monitor" on the bottom). The "Network" tab will show all connections. When the client tries to connect there should be an entry for "WurmLauncher.exe", the correct local address and a remote port "3724". If the local address is not on the same network as the server address then try disabling the network interface belonging to the wrong local address.

Depending on your router, try something other than 127.0.0.1. Try 192.168.1.100 (this may vary by router brands but I've never seen it otherwise). Have your router handle the traffic instead of your localhost.

Note: if you have more than one machine on your router, your PC might not be 100. You would have to consult your router instructions, but you would want that last number to match your PC in the routing table.

Edited by Audrel

I bet you are running some shitty firewall software like Norton Security. There is simply not good reason why a properly setup PC could not connect to a LAN server running on localhost/127.0.0.1.

If you have Norton Internet Security then remove it.

Edited by Lolabelle

I tried to run WO with my isp disabled through modern config page and simply unplugging the cord. In both cases steam runs in offline fine and WU will also run. I even got the server to run ( I used the same IP normal used some 192.168 number) Sadly the launcher couldn't find the game to connect to it.

It's too bad we can't use local host if all we want to do is play single player. I tried to put IP 127.0.01 in server setup and it told me that doing so would block other players from connecting..lol duh!

With all the warnings of steam cancelling your account and loosing all your games I do warn all of you of the day steam is sold or taken over by a larger company with lawyers on the directors board and steam looses its ease of return.

Its why I don't cloud.

• Like 2

I play local host in single player right now on the same PC client/server it works.  You are confusing Steam offline with WU offline.  WU offline means you are using a local LAN server which might be on the same PC as your client or on your LAN, it means you are not playing any of the online servers.  Steam offline means the game has disabled any DRM checks beyond authorized downloading of updates.  While there is a valid point that even the devs seem confused if Steam offline was supposed to work or not, WU offline absolutely does work although it does have some common setup issues to overcome, and you do need Steam online to start your server (no idea if pulling the LAN cord after works)

Edited by yarnevk

I play local host in single player right now on the same PC client/server it works. You are confusing Steam offline with WU offline. WU offline means you are using a local LAN server which might be on the same PC as your client or on your LAN, it means you are not playing any of the online servers. Steam offline means the game has disabled any DRM checks beyond authorized downloading of updates. While there is a valid point that even the devs seem confused if Steam offline was supposed to work or not, WU offline absolutely does work although it does have some common setup issues to overcome, and you do need Steam online to start your server (no idea if pulling the LAN cord after works)

From what I heard, yes it can be played offline only after starting your server while online... but that's not feasible if you are traveling or going without a dedicated connection for a few months.

Have you followed this video?  Still do not know if your issue is being forced to use steam or not being able to get a local server working at all.  I had the same setup issues but solved them once I understood how it works with the tutorial.  It is way too many non obvious steps as it should be one click, but it does work.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geMDsMxfuIU

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 2

Haha. Yes I did that video exactly first time trying, evertyhing was just like the video until he clicked on the LAN tab where his game was, but mine was not. From that point on was a frustrating nightmare of changing variables and eliminating possible faults to no avail.

Edit:

Steam isn't the issue. I was hoping I could download the game let it update etc then hit offline mode on steam and disconnect internet again and still play warm unlimited... can't do that, got to connect each time the server starts.

I'd cope with internet needing to be on each time if I could get it running and leave it on until a restart or crash but I could never get mine running in the first place.

Edited by Leroy

I usually have the same issue, Leroy: My local server (dedicated or not) usually does not appear in the LAN tab. However, I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with whether you have an internet connection or not - because I noticed that *SOMETIMES* (usually once or twice after a new server was started for the first time) the server actually DOES appear in the LAN tab. (If it does you can connect once and can use that same server again and again from the "History" tab later, even if you don't see it in LAN - or quickly add it to your favorites once you see it appear.)

I have no idea why this happens and how it can be fixed - but that's the way I usually work around it. :)

Maybe this observation helps.

Edited by Yaga

I usually have the same issue, Leroy: My local server (dedicated or not) usually does not appear in the LAN tab. However, I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with whether you have an internet connection or not - because I noticed that *SOMETIMES* (usually once or twice after a new server was started for the first time) the server actually DOES appear in the LAN tab. (If it does you can connect once and can use that same server again and again from the "History" tab later, even if you don't see it in LAN - or quickly add it to your favorites once you see it appear.)

I have no idea why this happens and how it can be fixed - but that's the way I usually work around it. :)

Maybe this observation helps.

Well you did try opening all those ports for steam and the one for the wurm server?

It's all in the wiki.

steam 8766 - 8766 Both

steam 27016 - 27030 UDP

wurm 3724 - 3724 TCP

rmi 7220 - 7221 TCP

Those are the ones I opened and what they are for.

Edited by Uberknot

Well you did try opening all those ports for steam and the one for the wurm server?

It's all in the wiki.

steam 8766 - 8766 Both

steam 27016 - 27030 UDP

wurm 3724 - 3724 TCP

rmi 7220 - 7221 TCP

Those are the ones I opened and what they are for.

Yup. Inbound and out, didn't work.

When I say I tried everything... well I didn't hire a techie to host it for me, but ya know. Lol

Did you try to catch the error message given by the client when trying to connect? its readable only for a very short moment, but i have got very important info off it, like using a char name not meeting the naming rules, or charname used by other account, maybe this can narrow down your problem.

Did you try to catch the error message given by the client when trying to connect? its readable only for a very short moment, but i have got very important info off it, like using a char name not meeting the naming rules, or charname used by other account, maybe this can narrow down your problem.

For what it's worth, I'm having the same issue as Leroy. Also noteworthy I run McAfee as well.

I'm not asking steam for a refund, but if anyone has more pointers so I can play it locally... I would be happy.

Edited by Kelebeth

Best tip I have is to lose the bloated McAfee. Windows Defender works just fine and you never have to think about it.

• Like 5

when i first started, mine wouldn't show in the list either.  I opened 3724 (only) on my router and now its there every time.  I also run defender.

Best tip I have is to lose the bloated McAfee. Windows Defender works just fine and you never have to think about it.

Seriously, if a friend or family comes to me with computer problems I will flat out refuse to help them in any way unless they let me remove that POS. It's basically a virus itself.

I honestly would not be surprised if this was causing the issues.

Also, I know you already clarified that you used Steam's refund service, but I think it's important enough to say again - not only is making a chargeback a move, it WILL get your Steam account banned.

• Like 1