Sign in to follow this  
Leroy

Cancelling Unlimited sadly

Regardless of what the developers did we are trying to suggest that given there are games on Steam that do not require an internet connection to connect to that the developers did not HAVE to do this.

So are you privy to their contract with their Steam distributor, or are you trolling again?  It may very well be that they was required to do it by their distributor.  Everyone already knows that Steam DRM is optional for devs to make their own business decisions for DRM or not.   It is not your business to make their business decisions, you can only make your personal decision which is to not buy the game and respect those who do choose to buy the game by not constantly trolling a thread that was trying to help people get their game running.

Edited by yarnevk

So are you privy to their contract with their Steam distributor, or are you trolling again?  It may very well be that they was required to do it by their distributor.  Everyone already knows that Steam DRM is optional for devs to make their own business decisions for DRM or not.   It is not your business to make their business decisions, you can only make your personal decision which is to not buy the game and respect those who do choose to buy the game by not constantly trolling a thread that was trying to help people get their game running.

he was trolling the steam forums hard awhile back.....always bumping the negative posts...seems he's mad he can't get his computer to work.

he was trolling the steam forums hard awhile back.....always bumping the negative posts...seems he's mad he can't get his computer to work.

what you dont know is that I have played Wurm Online for about 2 years and have countless hours in the game.

what you call 'trolling' is me disapointed that my WU game does not run at all whatsoever with me having done nothing. I just came home one day and it no longer worked.

That is what you call 'trolling'

what you dont know is that I have played Wurm Online for about 2 years and have countless hours in the game.

what you call 'trolling' is me disapointed that my WU game does not run at all whatsoever with me having done nothing. I just came home one day and it no longer worked.

Yeah, because you could totally play WO without being online.

They choose to use Steam as their DRM for whatever reason. Accept it and move on.

OK i don't understand...whats the reason for posting about getting a refund? The community can't help you with that. Either do it and move on or leave it and try another day. Topic should be closed.

• Like 2

They choose to use Steam as their DRM for whatever reason. Accept it and move on.

you have completely and totlally missed multiple points I have made. I dont think you are even reading my posts just replying randomly to them

not paying attention to anything I have said aside for the moment I think the vast majority of my Steam games have a LAN and multiplayer server option and I know at least a handful of them one can play offline becuase of STEAM OFFLINE MODE WHICH MAINTAINS YOUR DRM

also...out of all those games that have a LAN/multiplayer server option this is the ONLY GAME that has broken for single player game.

7 Days to Die? has a server? yup. single player? one click

Rising World? has a server? yup. single player? one click

Space Engineers? has a server? yup. single player? one click

Farming Simulator? has a server? yup. single player? one click

AND most of those games are early access games.

Wurm is a great game, its one of my all time favorite, they just need to fix the single player startup process is all stop being so defensive about all this

Edited by Tux

Yes trolling because you refused to accept advice on how to fix your problem.  And you did not come home one day and it no longer worked.   You shut down your PC reconfigured your network and windows reassigned your internal LAN IP as a result on reboot.  You have been given the very easy solution how to fix it, but rather than employ it you decided to troll the forums about it rather than accept help, as well as spread FUD about the game (like insisting single player requires unsecure port changes) rather than helping others who actually would have liked to get their game working.

If you truly wished to see the launcher changed then contact Warlander and Rolf with some constructive advice and let them know, especially since you brand yourself as capable of writing an MMO yourself with vast gaming experience.  All that trolling the forum does is guarantee they are never going to read your posts because you have branded yourself as an intentional troll who nobody should ever listen to.   Especially since you said you was going to leave the forum and rewrite the game in Unity - clearly you are not keeping your word because you would not have time to post if you was actually working on a Unity port.

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 1

Sure if you define yourself as community, rather than the devs and GMs and CAs and youtubers who have all contributed to tutorial information on setting up single player. Not going to bother linking it, because it is now clear that you bought the game for the sole purpose of trolling it. The only controversy over single player is some people thought offline play meant no steam login rather then the intended meaning of the word to be offline LAN servers.

Yes trolling because you refused to accept advice on how to fix your problem.  And you did not come home one day and it no longer worked.   You shut down your PC reconfigured your network and windows reassigned your internal LAN IP as a result on reboot.  You have been given the very easy solution how to fix it, but rather than employ it you decided to troll the forums about it rather than accept help, as well as spread FUD about the game (like insisting single player requires unsecure port changes) rather than helping others who actually would have liked to get their game working.

If you truly wished to see the launcher changed then contact Warlander and Rolf with some constructive advice and let them know, especially since you brand yourself as capable of writing an MMO yourself with vast gaming experience.  All that trolling the forum does is guarantee they are never going to read your posts because you have branded yourself as an intentional troll who nobody should ever listen to.   Especially since you said you was going to leave the forum and rewrite the game in Unity - clearly you are not keeping your word because you would not have time to post if you was actually working on a Unity port.

I keep saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again and people like yourself just refuse to pay attention to this one important detail.

PLEASE pay close attention to this point.

do

not

want

to 

solve

MY

problem

want 

the

problem

solved

If I buy a car that keeps breaking down I dont want the manufacture of the car to tell me how I can fix it myself! I want to manufacture of the car and the community to understand that they should fix the problem so that others do not encounter the same issue.

There is no way in all of hell that I am going to take the advice of a random poster on the internet on how to fix my specific problem only to loose 6 months of game time work later because of some detail that was missed. I do not have the confidence in this design that I will not yet again loose all my playtime work later which is why I HAVE moved on to other games but I stay here because, to be frank, people who do not understand me engage me.

Edited by Tux

you have completely and totlally missed multiple points I have made. I dont think you are even reading my posts just replying randomly to them

I don't think they like you.

It's ok, they did not like me much either, when I very politely requested a non-Steam version. It makes them very angry, very hostile, very aggressive  when someone suggests Steam does not make the entire world ten thousand times better in every way. 

I still have hope that in three six or twelve months, the devs will reconsider their stance. Warlander said they needed the Steam-only requirement in order to use some Steam API such as the server browser. Now we know many other games are able to have single+multiplayer server browser functions without Steam (Minecraft, Rising World, NWN persistent worlds are a few) but it may be at the time, they did not have a large enough staff experienced at this particular function and needed the time savings of falling back on Steam-written code. I imagine their next steps are bug fixing, making the game playable for the many who cannot play it just by installing and clicking PLAY, and after that getting a LINUX version (since they have staff who are motivated, knowledgeable and interested in doing that.) After that I have hopes they will decide to open the options, especially if modding community is able to do some of the heavy lifting in getting some things like server browser code figured out for them.

I would buy the game a second time if I were able to run it without Steam, I want a non-Steam version that much. I think the Steam requirement is crap. There is already a cracked version of the game (so much for DRM) but I lack the patience to get this complicated mess running right a second time. It took me three days of fiddling to get my Steam version to work for a family server. It works now, so whatever. I am no IT networking geek,  but anyone who cannot get the game to work, they will insist it is because those people are stupid. they got it to work, and they know some 10 year old kid who got it to work. 

Anyway -- my advice is to not even bother trying to have a rational discussion, they do not want a rational discussion.

They want people like you and me to just go away.

And in the meantime they call us the "trolls". 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I don't think they like you.

It's ok, they did not like me much either, when I very politely requested a non-Steam version. It makes them very angry, very hostile, very aggressive  when someone suggests Steam does not make the entire world ten thousand times better in every way. 

I still have hope that in three six or twelve months, the devs will reconsider their stance. Warlander said they needed the Steam-only requirement in order to use some Steam API such as the server browser. Now we know many other games are able to have single+multiplayer server browser functions without Steam (Minecraft, Rising World, NWN persistent worlds are a few) but it may be at the time, they did not have a large enough staff experienced at this particular function and needed the time savings of falling back on Steam-written code. I imagine their next steps are bug fixing, making the game playable for the many who cannot play it just by installing and clicking PLAY, and after that getting a LINUX version (since they have staff who are motivated, knowledgeable and interested in doing that.) After that I have hopes they will decide to open the options, especially if modding community is able to do some of the heavy lifting in getting some things like server browser code figured out for them.

I would buy the game a second time if I were able to run it without Steam, I want a non-Steam version that much. I think the Steam requirement is crap. There is already a cracked version of the game (so much for DRM) but I lack the patience to get this complicated mess running right a second time. It took me three days of fiddling to get my Steam version to work for a family server. It works now, so whatever. I am no IT networking geek,  but anyone who cannot get the game to work, they will insist it is because those people are stupid. they got it to work, and they know some 10 year old kid who got it to work. 

Anyway -- my advice is to not even bother trying to have a rational discussion, they do not want a rational discussion.

They want people like you and me to just go away.

And in the meantime they call us the "trolls". 

I think they do not have much gaming experience outside of wurm. I think they are not aware that the vast majority of single to multiplayer games are literally one-click to play the single player version.

I also think a lot of them have networking and IT experience so they have confidence that what they are doing is correct (even though in some cases it might not be). I however do IT stuff for a living and I am exhausted from problem solving all day long and I dont want to invest my game time into just more of that. If I am going to invest my free time into IPConifg I will instead learn Blender and do some modding which is what I have been wanting to do for a long time.

why these concepts are so hard for them to understand I dont know. I think I say it pretty clearly.

oh and out of all my steam games as it turns out this is the only one in which the launcher doesnt even launch do even if I wanted to poke around with IPs I cant.

Edited by Tux

I love this game, and i have had no problem with setting up a server and playing on my own or with others... That does not necessarily mean others have the same experience.

Whilst playing offline is not something i consider a requirement or really care too much about... It is something that imo SHOULD be address, not just because quite a few players have a problem with it but because the function is a core part of the steam client and having a game that is incompatible with that offline mode seems to be a design flaw to me, unless it states in the games description it requires an internet connection to play, which i don't think it does.