Sign in to follow this  
Leroy

Cancelling Unlimited sadly

I had an issue with launching/connecting to my LAN server at first. After reading some posts and doing some snooping I discovered that the IP address it was using was for my WIFI connection when in fact it would only work when it was used the IP for the physical Ethernet IP on my computer. Used that IP and I haven't had a problem since.

With all the warnings of steam cancelling your account and loosing all your games I do warn all of you of the day steam is sold or taken over by a larger company with lawyers on the directors board and steam looses its ease of return.

Its why I don't cloud.

Best tip I have is to lose the bloated McAfee. Windows Defender works just fine and you never have to think about it.

I'm not using McAfee - but disabling Kaspersky's firewall function seems to solve the problem of my local server not showing up in LAN tab. I have no idea why this happens, because I checked the firewall settings and explicitly made sure that both client and server are granted all network permissions - still: enabling the firewall definitely prevents the server from appearing. As soon as I disable the Kaspersky firewall my server appears in the list!

I use the stock Windows firewall too. Never had any problems with it, but I'm not trying to do anything fancy.

Could be something about Mcafee I guess, it's not as popular I think with gamers... but I even uninstalled it to give it a try, with no luck. But yea "Whats the difference between subscribed antivirus and a real virus? You pay for one." Im certain some files were left behind and that may be part of the issue. Like I've said I tried everything I could come up with to make it work, I was REALLY wanting to be playing it instead of this minecraft thing, wurm would just have been so much more fun of a solo game to be playing.

another vote for eset, never had problems and it has gaming mode if you ever did have problems.

• Like 1

Steam 'refunds' are pretty strict now.

Gotta have less than 2 hours 'played' and even then it isn't guaranteed. You also need to wait 48 hours.

So basically, if you can't get a game working, you have to either gamble at trying to get it running or give up before you try, to get your money back.

Also, if a problem doesn't arise within the first 2 hours of gameplay...well, you're out of luck.

Oh, and if you refund too often? You face account closure or having your refund 'privileges' removed.

Your fault for buying a few games that are faulty apparently.

Plus, like others have said here...if you do happen to be 'invested' in your steam account...they've basically removed your right to complain about anything, because if you do, bye bye to hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of games. I haven't tried it, but I bet they wont let you have separate accounts for each game you play, so you can at least protect yourself from this.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Like 1

Steam 'refunds' are pretty strict now.

Gotta have less than 2 hours 'played' and even then it isn't guaranteed. You also need to wait 48 hours.

So basically, if you can't get a game working, you have to either gamble at trying to get it running or give up before you try, to get your money back.

Also, if a problem doesn't arise within the first 2 hours of gameplay...well, you're out of luck.

Oh, and if you refund too often? You face account closure or having your refund 'privileges' removed.

Your fault for buying a few games that are faulty apparently.

Plus, like others have said here...if you do happen to be 'invested' in your steam account...they've basically removed your right to complain about anything, because if you do, bye bye to hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of games. I haven't tried it, but I bet they wont let you have separate accounts for each game you play, so you can at least protect yourself from this.

I've done it with 4 and managed to get the refund because I didn't like it. This was about a month or two ago. In practice it's more lenient. It was my first refund, and pretty much the sole reason I didn't like it was because a prominent mod for the game wasn't as good as I had expected (I had bought the game to play the mod).

As it stands I think you're blowing it out of proportion, and trying for a refund when the game simply didn't work is likely to be more than enough to get the refund processed with no formal comment from Valve. 

Edited by Ols

Wurm is a great game and I've been playing Wurm Online for some time and when WU was announced, I thought it would be a great supplement to WO. The lack of an additional monthly fee to be able to play Wurm while offline or during times when a connection is not available sounded great. While I have my WO world going, if for some reason i cannot play online I could at least tinker in my own little realm, breeding rats and building tiny villages to explore again months later. WU was not going to be a replacement of WO for me. There is benefit to playing a MMO game alone without outside meddling (much like a child having their own swingset in a backyard VS a public park; or, as some games with solo instances and then the game world proper). I also became very interested in adventure mode upon learning of quest-like gameplay and NPC characters populating the world.

So three days after purchase, trying all I can after reading forum posts in various groups to get WU operational for single player... I will be calling my bank to dispute the charge buying this game.

Sadly from what I have read there is no option to play without an internet connection. Steam games from what I learned are able to be played in an "Offline Mode" not only to not be logged into your steam account but also so that if your internet is down, you can still play your games. this issue is not with steam but rather WU in that you can not play the game without running the server connected to steam... fine I can make do i suppose, however my second issue is that I've tried so many times to get a server running locally (sorry not going to pay subs for WO to also pay subs to play WU online by having a server hosted remotely), I've configured and reconfigured port settings every which way I could, IP configs investigated, hell I even took the router out of the picture and had my PC the only thing in my network. All I can manage is to connect to others' games... and playing multiplayer wurm on private servers was not what this product was sold as.

I'll be playing Wurm Online still but Rolf, you gonna have to do without my money for Unlimited. the product simply didn't meet its expected qualifications. Streamline the interface, or provide better support, this has been the worst experience I've ever had getting a game set up.

not only can you not play the game without an internet connection setting up a personal server requires networking knowledge and if you IP provider changes your IP then you are constantly having to modify it. 

As a programmer by trade (but not a game programmer) I might start poking around with the code to see if I can figure out how to make a pure real deal disconnected single player version of this game.

Given that my launcher now no longer works I am not playing the game and the only reason I am keeping it is to study the code.

As it stands I think you're blowing it out of proportion

I was declined a refund for WU with about 3 hours time played. I have only ever had 1 other refund and it was months ago. (Refunded it within a few minutes of purchasing, as it didn't work at all and wasn't worth the trouble fixing)

Also had my Steam account over 9 years now...you would think they could be more lenient with refund policy after that time with 150+ games in library...clearly not someone abusing the system.

I will definitely be trying to use Steam as little as possible from now on...origin etc have much better customer service and policy's.

Well i just do refound via steam for wu and i get it back with tax 4,5€

If you are still having issues on getting the lan going for a single player experience: 
Honestly in my personal experience both servers I've set up were automatically LAN and not internet. All I changed was the info in local tab (name, added a password, lowered amount of players, gameplay tweaks, etc).
I'm running it on windows 10, don't have mcafee. Didn't disable any firewall either.

I've run it via dedicated server tool (available in steam tools) and the Manage Server on the regular launcher. 

Don't take this the wrong way, nothing I'm saying is intended to be rude or downgrading, just trying to see if there's any way I can help either of you on here who said you had trouble. 

When running my server:

Click Manage Server 

Wait for the cmd prompt window to finish loading and settings window to appear. 

On [select Game Database] tab - I didn't change anything, I wanted an adventure server so I left that.
Click Start Server.

Wait a few minutes for the cmd prompt window to finish loading. The last line should say something similar to: Server connected to steam.

And the server is finished loading and is now running. I can go over onto the Wurm Unlimited launcher and my server (that I named) is in my LAN tab, and nowhere in the Internet tab. 

Running dedicated server tool: Just clicked the tool to run and continued with waiting on the cmd prompt and etc.

Have you tried changing the Server external IP address to your computer's IP? (This is in the local tab of your server settings window) Mine was by default my IP. I left the port as it was. 

Hopefully this helps a little, if not well I apologize. 

Sorry you are having trouble with it, I agree that it stinks how we can't actually play offline but it makes sense considering we are running a server to play on.  Perhaps this will be implemented in a later update/mod. 

Good luck!

Edited by RoseOfTheRaven
  • Like 1

Have you tried changing the Server external IP address to your computer's IP? (This is in the local tab of your server settings window) Mine was by default my IP. I left the port as it was. 

Hopefully this helps a little, if not well I apologize. 

Just an FYI: I did this however, ipconfig showed me a different IP than a website did. either way I tried both and with different ports discovered using NetStat.

that was when I gave up and decided to learn Unity 5 instead.

Just to add to this conversation here is an issue I have had and I am not sure if its the same I am just sharing it for you guys to have more information. I am not looking to solve the issue for myself personally I am moving on to other projects

Logged off mon at 11pm full machine shut down

Came home last night turned on machine, shut down my laptop (not my gaming machine) then started the launcher to start my personal server.

server would not start, console window gave an error I cant read because the console windows shuts down and I don't know where the log is stored.

The IP of my machine is different from my IP a website gives me but I tried both of with the same negative result.

This is happening for both Adventure mode and Creative.

My uneducated assumption is that my IP had changed because its 'dynamic' but really I have no clue. but I cant be bothered with it so I am moving on to other projects

Edited by Tux

its not that hard. first look what kind of interface cards you have (VM's ? Wlan ? Lan or even more lan's ^^ or maybe hamachi installed ? some vpn's ? etc.) then learn to bridge your cards if its the case. In most cases you have at least one wlan and one lan - just bridge them (google is your friend). after you choose the right interface make a lookup again (ipconfig or linux ifconfig) in most cases its eth0. make sure your firewall is ok (ports open/allow programms // check stupid software firewall and maybe delete/deactivate it), make sure your router-ports are ok (open). make sure you type your new ip both in wurm dedi server menue (External and Internal). make sure you write the right port inside dedi server menue (same as you open up in router for port forwarding)

its not that hard. first look what kind of interface cards...

that is where 90% of possible players will stop and should stop unless they already know what they are doing.

Rule 1 on networking don't just take some random posters advice at full value they might be making you open your PC to the world

Nobody is trying to steal your IP your local numbers are unreachable anyways if your ports are closed off, and you do not need to open them for local LAN play.

Simply type cmd in windows and type ipconfig, it will scan the IP addresses on your computer, use the IPv4 one - will be something like 192.168.xxx.xxx for your ethernet port on your PC.   Your ISP has nothing to do with that address, that is only controlled by windows.  That goes into the local server tab and you just name your server at the local tab so you can later find it on the LAN server scan.

I also had problems hanging and it was because it was finding my wifi card rather than my LAN card by default.

If you turned off your computer and then did something else on your network possibly turning something off like another laptop then the issue is that windows stupidly gave your computer a new IP local number.   Annoying that windows sucks but easy to check with ipconfig and updating your WU local server config.   

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 1

Banned from steam?  Who cares?

All you get from them is butchered software anyway.  Make these companies send you a real disk with the game on it.  Then if it sucks, Mail it back to them.  At least then you get something you can play without some big brother company lording over your activities.

And if it doesnt work in offline mode, Then don't buy it.

Personally I would use the bank option, But then i don't buy from steam either. Or any other download site.

Banned from steam?  Who cares?

All you get from them is butchered software anyway.  Make these companies send you a real disk with the game on it.  Then if it sucks, Mail it back to them.  At least then you get something you can play without some big brother company lording over your activities.

And if it doesnt work in offline mode, Then don't buy it.

Personally I would use the bank option, But then i don't buy from steam either. Or any other download site.

No thank you, I did not enjoy the times where I had 100's of disks lying around and having to search through them to find what I was loosing for. We're not in the 90's anymore.

Edited by leverloos
  • Like 1

that is where 90% of possible players will stop and should stop unless they already know what they are doing.

Rule 1 on networking don't just take some random posters advice at full value they might be making you open your PC to the world

Then they should learn to read corectly from random posters advice... i guess :D

Then they should learn to read corectly from random posters advice... i guess :D

well that is a fair way to look at it.

my personal view is that a gamer should not be required to know what an interface card is in order to play a video game.

I know some guys out in the country think every male should know how to change the oil in a car but I don't hold that view. I don't think every male should know how to change the oil in a car and I don't think every gamer should have to know what an interface card is

I was declined a refund for WU with about 3 hours time played. I have only ever had 1 other refund and it was months ago. (Refunded it within a few minutes of purchasing, as it didn't work at all and wasn't worth the trouble fixing)

Also had my Steam account over 9 years now...you would think they could be more lenient with refund policy after that time with 150+ games in library...clearly not someone abusing the system.

I will definitely be trying to use Steam as little as possible from now on...origin etc have much better customer service and policy's.

wait..you have 150+ games in your steam library and you are going to stop using it because of one refund problem?

let me guess..you don't actually ever play these games you own

wait..you have 150+ games in your steam library and you are going to stop using it because of one refund problem?

let me guess..you don't actually ever play these games you own

Personally +1 to anyone that ACTUALLY puts their money where their mouth is. Love it when people get pissed off and say they will never shop there again and you see the same person buying stuff there two days later.

Personally +1 to anyone that ACTUALLY puts their money where their mouth is. Love it when people get pissed off and say they will never shop there again and you see the same person buying stuff there two days later.

For personal reasons, I haven't bought an EA game in over 11 years, or a Sony/SOE game in about 10, and I don't foresee either of those changing any time soon.  I find that there is not much point in making a threat you are not willing to back up.

Wu works fine for me, as for the  server listing aspect, its simple port forwarding, im not no server tech and hell i managed to do it.  WU is awsome, and steam will not refund you if its been beyond 2 hours and doing a chargeback will result in steam banning you. Then ya loose out on all the goodies steam does really. its easy once ya keep working at it. if you think this network issue is a pain, HA!  try using a custom map, now that takes a bit of trial n error hehe XD