Sign in to follow this  
Leroy

Cancelling Unlimited sadly

Wurm is a great game and I've been playing Wurm Online for some time and when WU was announced, I thought it would be a great supplement to WO. The lack of an additional monthly fee to be able to play Wurm while offline or during times when a connection is not available sounded great. While I have my WO world going, if for some reason i cannot play online I could at least tinker in my own little realm, breeding rats and building tiny villages to explore again months later. WU was not going to be a replacement of WO for me. There is benefit to playing a MMO game alone without outside meddling (much like a child having their own swingset in a backyard VS a public park; or, as some games with solo instances and then the game world proper). I also became very interested in adventure mode upon learning of quest-like gameplay and NPC characters populating the world.

So three days after purchase, trying all I can after reading forum posts in various groups to get WU operational for single player... I will be calling my bank to dispute the charge buying this game.

Sadly from what I have read there is no option to play without an internet connection. Steam games from what I learned are able to be played in an "Offline Mode" not only to not be logged into your steam account but also so that if your internet is down, you can still play your games. this issue is not with steam but rather WU in that you can not play the game without running the server connected to steam... fine I can make do i suppose, however my second issue is that I've tried so many times to get a server running locally (sorry not going to pay subs for WO to also pay subs to play WU online by having a server hosted remotely), I've configured and reconfigured port settings every which way I could, IP configs investigated, hell I even took the router out of the picture and had my PC the only thing in my network. All I can manage is to connect to others' games... and playing multiplayer wurm on private servers was not what this product was sold as.

I'll be playing Wurm Online still but Rolf, you gonna have to do without my money for Unlimited. the product simply didn't meet its expected qualifications. Streamline the interface, or provide better support, this has been the worst experience I've ever had getting a game set up.

• Like 2

I will be calling my bank to dispute the charge buying this game.

That is a really bad idea. There is some kind of Steam refund program which should be used, otherwhise you can get your whole steam account banned, with all your other games.

Steam doesn't understand any fun when it comes to broken payments.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 5

Its $20 i don't think the trouble would be worth the time for me to even mess with it to be honest.

• Like 4

If you bought it through steam just do the steam refund. They do not even question it if you have played less than 10 hours.

Seems you are correct in not being able to play WU in the Steam offline mode, like say you can do for Skyrim. I just tried this by going to offline mode in Steam and when starting my server it won't connect to play.

Otherwise setting it up yesterday on LAN tab (on my own computer) as a dedicated server with a password was surprisingly easy to then log into the game while online in Steam.

Maybe sometime in the future it can be played in totally offline mode, which I agree would be a great option.

=Ayes=

• Like 6

Seems you are correct in not being able to play WU in the Steam offline mode, like say you can do for Skyrim. I just tried this by going to offline mode in Steam and when starting my server it won't connect to play.

Otherwise setting it up yesterday on LAN tab (on my own computer) as a dedicated server with a password was surprisingly easy to then log into the game while online in Steam.

Maybe sometime in the future it can be played in totally offline mode, which I agree would be a great option.

=Ayes=

I cant even get the game running while in online mode, logged into steam best it does is show up on the internet tab and then the connection times out. Server is running, but it's like trying to log into WO when the server is down, just times out.

WU works perfectly fine if I wanted to play with people on a server.... BUT if thats all I wanted to do then I just play WO. i'm trying to play a game by myself and thats the problem, I can't get it to work either as a single player internet game or on LAN solo.

PS this is the first time I'm using steam so no loss, just hate having to use middlemen at companies i cant visit when i can go meet one of five people i know at my bank to get the job done while I'm there. I'm old fashioned when it comes to conducting business.

Its $20 i don't think the trouble would be worth the time for me to even mess with it to be honest.

I've literally called my bank in front of a vending machine that took debit/credit and failed to drop my soda, so yea im that guy

• Like 6

Not sure why you're having such problems. I set up and started playing as soon as I downloaded the game. The LAN server works flawlessly out of the box as long as Steam is running first. Maybe you should ask for help before throwing in the towel and asking for refunds.

That said, a tutorial and some good documentation on how to use WU should have been made before release.

Might be a stupid question, but did you remember to hit the start server button if you spent a lot of time messing with all the other settings?

• Like 1

Not sure why you're having such problems. I set up and started playing as soon as I downloaded the game. The LAN server works flawlessly out of the box as long as Steam is running first. Maybe you should ask for help before throwing in the towel and asking for refunds.

That said, a tutorial and some good documentation on how to use WU should have been made before release.

Ok, after three days of trials.... I removed firewall and disconnected the router, so my 'network' is PC>Modem>Internet. Logged into Steam, am in ONline mode. Start WU and click manage server.  Server starts up, I look for it in LAN (not there) find it in internet and select it, hit connect. goes through loading screen,"Connecting..." and it times out asking if I want to try again or wait 179 seconds to try again.

Every port mentioned/ suggested is open. tried it with IP set for 0.0.0.0 / 127.0.0.1 / my real IP all with no luck.

Ideas?

((and yes didnt miss the big green button that starts the server :)   ))

Edited by Leroy
  • Like 1

Ok, after three days of trials.... I removed firewall and disconnected the router, so my 'network' is PC>Modem>Internet. Logged into Steam, am in ONline mode. Start WU and click manage server.  Server starts up, I look for it in LAN (not there) find it in internet and select it, hit connect. goes through loading screen,"Connecting..." and it times out asking if I want to try again or wait 179 seconds to try again.

Every port mentioned/ suggested is open. tried it with IP set for 0.0.0.0 / 127.0.0.1 / my real IP all with no luck.

Ideas?

What OS are you running?  Do you maybe have Windows firewall stuck on? I know for me it doesn't always turn off when I tell it to. Are you running Norton or Mcaffee, those have caused me tons of headaches in the past for simply running a internet program.  I ask because sometimes it's the stupid little stuff and I hope that's just the case for you.

I am running Windows 10, Connected from modem to wireless router and didn't have to do anything special with our ports to show up in LAN. 

Ideas?

I had a similar problem, due to having VMware on my machine, it creates virtual network cards and the Wurm server just picks one, not necessarily the right one.

Check that the server's internal and external IP address are the same, they should match your computer's own IP on your LAN.

tried it even with win firewall disabled. Win10. Mcafee is allowing all proper ports and is no longer blocking the program (was first issue I encountered after download).

Im at the point that it's either a bad download (but I can connect to others games with no issues) or its some super simple thing that im overlooking (as suggested to click the green button to start the server would have been)

three days of this crap wasted away my weekend... and I suppose a video tutorial of the server setup for LAN would be good to have to make sure im not loosing the forest for the tree.

I had a similar problem, due to having VMware on my machine, it creates virtual network cards and the Wurm server just picks one, not necessarily the right one.

Check that the server's internal and external IP address are the same, they should match your computer's own IP on your LAN.

I cant even get the game running while in online mode, logged into steam best it does is show up on the internet tab and then the connection times out. Server is running, but it's like trying to log into WO when the server is down, just times out.

WU works perfectly fine if I wanted to play with people on a server.... BUT if thats all I wanted to do then I just play WO. i'm trying to play a game by myself and thats the problem, I can't get it to work either as a single player internet game or on LAN solo.

PS this is the first time I'm using steam so no loss, just hate having to use middlemen at companies i cant visit when i can go meet one of five people i know at my bank to get the job done while I'm there. I'm old fashioned when it comes to conducting business.

• Like 1

Did it advertise anywhere that it's offline game. Cus I'm not seeing false advertising. To warrent calling the bank. People like that. Bug the hell out of me. If you buy something and don't get it. I agree call bank. If you buy something that clearly states something and doesn't work. Call bank.

If you don't like something you bought suck it up as your mistake and don't screw over the company over on possible fees for the cash back . You know about the game could have asked questions before buying also. Banks should not allow charge backs on any digital things without full proof of false advertising. Don't mean to be mean. Just annoying when folks think it's ok to call the bank so quickly Just my 2 cents. I get defencive when it comes to wurm.

• Like 1

This may be basic but...since its showing in the server list and not in the lan tab, do you have the option for "use dedicated server" checked? If so then that is likely the problem. Hopefully its a simple catch like that.

Did you go to the local server tab and name your server?  On that tab did you set your external IP to your LAN card rather than your Wifi adaptor?    I had the exact same problems you describe and that is how I fixed them.

You are not allowed to play without logging into steam as they did not enable offline play, but you can most certainly play on your own LAN where the client and server are both on your PC just fine.

Edited by yarnevk

I really really wouldnt do a reverse charge against Valve. I hope you dont have a lot of games in your Steam account.

I've literally called my bank in front of a vending machine that took debit/credit and failed to drop my soda, so yea im that guy

You do realize chargebacks screw over the company you were doing business with right? You're not being old-fashioned, you're being outright scummy. You also run a great chance of the bank refusing your chargeback if/when they ever find out you didn't even bother talking with the seller. Banks don't like wasting time any more than you do, but a Steam refund is easy, simple and straightforward.

• Like 6

Doing a refund outside of the Steam ticketing process is a very bad idea and will probably get you banned. Ticket Steam and tell them the game doesn't work and they'll probably give you a full refund in a few hours. I ticketed Steam to get a game refunded after 4 hours play because it was boring and they did it with no questions asked.

however my second issue is that I've tried so many times to get a server running locally (sorry not going to pay subs for WO to also pay subs to play WU online by having a server hosted remotely), I've configured and reconfigured port settings every which way I could, IP configs investigated, hell I even took the router out of the picture and had my PC the only thing in my network. 

LMAO. A 12 yr old girl got her's up and running with no help in about 15 minutes. It's so easy to get running a little kid can do it. I don't know what your doing but looks to me you took something painfully easy and made it impossible. Good job.  ;)

• Like 1

You do realize chargebacks screw over the company you were doing business with right? You're not being old-fashioned, you're being outright scummy. You also run a great chance of the bank refusing your chargeback if/when they ever find out you didn't even bother talking with the seller. Banks don't like wasting time any more than you do, but a Steam refund is easy, simple and straightforward.

I've good relations with my bank, it's a benefit of using smaller banks where you actually have a chance at running into the bank owner/ president/ CEO (he's a good guy). So yea Bank of America can do whatever they wish.

I really really wouldnt do a reverse charge against Valve. I hope you dont have a lot of games in your Steam account.

Im using their refund method first, since I found out where that option was located  ( I admit I didnt have to look as hard as some other online retailers so +1 to Steam), We'll see what their response is to my request.

Did you go to the local server tab and name your server?  On that tab did you set your external IP to your LAN card rather than your Wifi adaptor?    I had the exact same problems you describe and that is how I fixed them.

You are not allowed to play without logging into steam as they did not enable offline play, but you can most certainly play on your own LAN where the client and server are both on your PC just fine.

Hate wifi, its all ethernet cables in my house but yes tried it every which way I could even the IPv4 / IPv6 issue I read about on another forum. Also made sure to use a static IP, I even took the router out of the equation entirely. I went so far as to disable firewall and my antivirus (headache reinstalling it, had to use a second key -_- thanks mcafee)

This may be basic but...since its showing in the server list and not in the lan tab, do you have the option for "use dedicated server" checked? If so then that is likely the problem. Hopefully its a simple catch like that.

Tried both ways after fiddling with the bundled server I started to fiddle with the dedicated server to see if that was an issue, no luck (havent tried paying a company to let me upload to their hardware... not interested in monthly fees to play single player when i can play with friends for cheaper monthly fees lol)

Did it advertise anywhere that it's offline game. Cus I'm not seeing false advertising. To warrent calling the bank. People like that. Bug the hell out of me. If you buy something and don't get it. I agree call bank. If you buy something that clearly states something and doesn't work. Call bank.

If you don't like something you bought suck it up as your mistake and don't screw over the company over on possible fees for the cash back . You know about the game could have asked questions before buying also. Banks should not allow charge backs on any digital things without full proof of false advertising. Don't mean to be mean. Just annoying when folks think it's ok to call the bank so quickly Just my 2 cents. I get defencive when it comes to wurm.

Nope, No person ever said it was offline capable... nor did they say it required an internet connection to play. I'm not claiming false advertisement or legal action. It is a defective product in my situation as I can not get a server to run for single player activity. The game runs just fine (better with less lag imho) on others' private servers with other players.. but that's kinda why I play WO to begin with. As you stated, "If you buy something that clearly states something and doesn't work. Call bank." Says I can play solo, and I simply just can't. As for calling the bank so quickly, I think three days worth of fiddling and whatnot (keep in mind I only logged in to others games, never so much as created a character on it nor go off adventuring... the time I spent setting up and letting the connection time out I recorded a bit over 3 hours of game time; thats a lot of time watching something that takes 20-30 seconds to fail.) was plenty of good-faith time spent trying to get a highly desired product to work properly. It's not a situation where I spent 2 hours trying to assemble an Ikea grand armoir comprised of a 90 page manual, 47 panels and 263 units of hardware and gave up.

Good for you defending Wurm, Im not really attacking Wurm... just voicing my frustration and humility at trying to get this game to run for me and simply failing at every result. I've tried seriously to get this to work. I looked forward to having my little playground set up. I was going to breed rats (why not I love em) and travel along the coast and inland building tiny villages that I can come back to after a few weeks/ months to revisit and explore. Learned of the adventure mode with quests and NPCs and thought that was awesome... Sadly that will not be happening. I'm still going to be playing WO and again my intent was never to stop playing WO for this WU, it was going to be essentially an add-on to my game experience during downtime and other internet related issues I come across as times change. Validate, you're a good guy in my book (honestly).

Overall, the game seems good from what I hear, seems only a very very small number of people have this type of issue I am having, most people that have a problem are able to fix it rather easily with a tweek or fixing a port problem (not heard of any major fixes like replacing some server code or something.).

PS: banks frown when you don't contact the supplier? A. your bank sucks B. Ever call an 800 number on the side of a vending machine? C. you want to wait in a shopping mall for a vendor rep to come give a refund of $1.50 D. I wouldnt want to meet the vendor that spent an hour or more in rush hour traffic to give a customer a refund of $1.50

PPS: just learned Steam refunded the charge so another +1 for them

LMAO. A 12 yr old girl got her's up and running with no help in about 15 minutes. It's so easy to get running a little kid can do it. I don't know what your doing but looks to me you took something painfully easy and made it impossible. Good job.  ;)

:) well i'm not tech savvy as these youngins... thought about letting my 5yr old give it a shot but he said I needed a Dvorak layout before he would even consider sitting at my desk, whatever the heck that meant.

Honestly though I think it may be a bug, perhaps with some obscure program I may have installed or even a physical defect in my hardware at this point. May try again down the road when I replace my machine.