Captain_Chaos

WorldPainter to Wurm Unlimited converter

keep getting error

error: unable to access jarfile wurmunlimtedexporter.jar

Well you need to run the java command in the same directory as the .jar

Edited by Elienn

keep getting error

error: unable to access jarfile wurmunlimtedexporter.jar

yep same error i was getting i wish he would just make it so we can click the jar and it opens up or something. 

Well you need to rune the java command in the same directory as the .jar

and what dose that mean? (how do you do that)

Edited by Kegan

Well just follow the How to use on the 1st post :

How to use:

• Make sure you have Java 8 installed.
  • Download the converter from here. Do not extract it!
  • Execute the following command on the command prompt, from the directory containing the downloaded file:

java -jar WurmUnlimitedExporter.jar [--scaled | --unscaled] <path to .world file>

...where <path to .world file> is of course the path to the WorldPainter world you want to convert. If it's in the same directory you can just specify the filename. Don't forget to surround it with quotes if there are spaces in the path. You can optionally specify the --scaled or --unscaled option to select scaled or unscaled mode (see above). Scaled mode is the default when neither option is specified.

• The Wurm Unlimited map files will be created in a new subdirectory of the current directory, with the name of the WorldPainter world.
  • To play, copy the Creative map to a new map in the dedicated server window and copy the generated *.map files over the ones in the copied map.

With no knowledge of java I just follow it and it works fine.

never mind figure it out :) haven't used dos command lines since 1986 took a minute 

to make this easy

java -jar WurmUnlimitedExporter.jar [--scaled | --unscaled] <path to .world file>

command prompt

java -jar WurmUnlimitedExporter.jar --scaled example.world

or

java -jar WurmUnlimitedExporter.jar --unscaled example.world

make sure files are in correct placement stated as stated above in ealry conversation 

​i made sure everything was in same folder before execution of command 

move wolrdpaint was in c:\ drive compie and then all folders he said to download into worldpaint folder also that one and copied the exampe.world in the worldpaint 

ran command prompt  as followed

cd\

cd\cd:\worldpainter

java -jar WurmUnlimitedExporter.jar --scaled example.world

Edited by damine

Well just follow the How to use on the 1st post :

With no knowledge of java I just follow it and it works fine.

command prompt is not java that is Dos

okay figured it out too but there was steps that i did not know without google and some luck..

• shift right click the worldpainter file you want to convert and "copy as path"
  • shift right click the file the .jar and worldpainter file is in to select "Open command window here.â€

add the copied path to the line given in the op and use that in the cmd you opened 

Edited by Kegan

Fine but why gets stuck by what WO already done ? If you put swamp biome near lake it should have reed ...

A map maker is stuck with the engine that permits flora only to go on grass or dirt.   They cannot put reed on a marsh tile, that would require a mod.  Or the map maker can just scatter grass and dirt into the marsh to give places for realistic willow and reed mixed in, but unless they also place the flora, there is no preventing the marsh from growing over those spots.  Minor graphical annoyance that these things are not growing out of a marsh tile.

Edited by yarnevk

Is there a consensus about the moss? I've heard that it should be in larger patches further apart, and that it is fine like this because moss isn't really used as intended in the game anyway. Should I change it?

You are not making WO Rolf noob unfriendly maps, you are making Notch inspired Minecraft maps that are portable to WU. Better if things are different than all map makers being the same creative conventions.  If they do not like it then if you support the color palette PNG for biomes, they could always just edit it using colorfill in paint programs and paint in the moss themselves (or world painter if you support such imports into it).

Edited by yarnevk

Hi Captain,

After playing long night with WorldPainter and the converter this is my remark :

first you really make a good work and it's really fun to make a map with your tools but I've got some little suggestion :

On the mapping from WP to Wurm i've found that :

Grass -> grass with patch of moss, fine (perhaps a little too moos, I'd cut it by two) (yes I know I said before it was fine but on big map it's quit strange to found Moss every meter)

Water -> Dirt .... funny but it's a good way to have dirt

I really like the beach terrain 

I really miss the cliff which is good in Wurm for big slope why not bind it to Rock

Rather than using the layer for vegetal I think Biomes could be better.

This is my proposal :

Plain -> only few bushes

Forest -> all trees + bushes

Swamplands -> Mixe of marsh, reed, moss and willow

Jungle -> Same as jungle layer

Birch Forest -> Same as Deciduous layer

Roofed Forest -> same as Pine Layer

Mushroom Island -> mYcelium

Taiga -> Tundra (Perhaps mix with dirt)

Savanna -> Steppe 

Ocean -> Kelp

I think like that we could have all wurm terrain.

The intention of WorldPainter is to be as easy to use as possible and as far as it makes sense do things automatically, so for the reed I'm leaning towards generating clumps of it automatically along water edges (that aren't too steep or rocky). Would that be sufficient?

In the water near the shore is where it appears in Wurm.

New Release!

I just refreshed the Wurm Unlimited converted; redownload from the link in the first post. The changes are as follows:

• Steppe can now be placed by creating a Custom Terrain in WorldPainter named "W:Steppe" (without the quotes), and tundra can be placed by naming it "W:Tundra". The actual material is not relevant for the Wurm Unlimited converter, but if you also want to export the map to Minecraft you'll want to use something that makes sense, such as grass.
  • Trees are only placed on grass, dirt, marsh or moss tiles
  • The amount of moss has been halved
  • The Beaches terrain type will generate patches of reed along the waterline, as well as patches of kelp underwater
  • The Grass terrain type will generate patches of kelp underwater
  • Steep rock (at a higher angle than 45 degrees) will be turned to cliff

Are people using it yet? Even playing on maps made with this tool? What else needs to happen to make it useful?

Edited by Captain_Chaos

Thanks for this big update,

I'll play with it today and hope to have a test map to play with tomorrow.

I've been using it a lot, but I haven't actually finished a map to the point where I've used it in play.  I kind of dread replacing my current server.

It has taken me a while to learn WorldPainter again, and I'm a bit anal.

I was wondering about the scaling options.  Could you multiply the height by 4 when using the --unscaled flag, so the proportions look the same as in the editor?

Edited by Ricowan

I'm getting this message now:

{WARN  } Unsupported layers ignored: [Lava]

Yeap, as far as I understand, only Deciduous,Pine,Swamp and Jungle layers are supported, all other will give you a warning and will not be converted to something. If you want to use lava you have to chose it on terrain not layer (but what's strange t's ther is no default layer named lava ... Did you create it ?)

Elienn is correct. Lava is a technical layer which is used when you use the Lava tool to place lava. You'll have to use the Lava terrain type instead. But I have to say I don't like the way lava looks in Wurm Unlimited at all. It doesn't glow, making it look totally wrong.

Yeap, as far as I understand, only Deciduous,Pine,Swamp and Jungle layers are supported, ...

And Frost. :)

Ah, ok.  I used both the lava terrain type and the lava dropper.  That explains it.  What I'd like to do is drop lava in a "pool" so that the lava tiles are flat.

Ah, ok.  I used both the lava terrain type and the lava dropper.  That explains it.  What I'd like to do is drop lava in a "pool" so that the lava tiles are flat.

Yes, I've already been thinking about adding support for that. The converter could convert a pool of lava into flat lava terrain. That may happen.

Edited by Captain_Chaos

Well after some test all seems fine ;) 

The only little improvement could be on kelp, Sometimes they are a little too out of the water, If you could place it a little more under water it should be perfect (not before -45) ;)

New Release!

I just refreshed the Wurm Unlimited converter; redownload from the link in the first post. The changes are as follows:

• Added a third scaling mode: "Wurm Unlimited Scaled", which multiplies vertical heights by four in the export, so that the proportions look right in WorldPainter (but the heights reported in WorldPainter are a quarter of what they will be in Wurm Unlimited). The scaling mode parameters are now:
    • --minecraft (Minecraft mode: horizontal scale 4:1, vertical scale: 1:1; this is the default)
    • --wurmUnscaled (Wurm Unlimited Unscaled mode: horizontal scale 1:1, vertical scale 1:1; slopes will be exaggerated in WorldPainter)
    • --wurmScaled (Wurm Unlimited Scaled mode: horizontal scale 1:1, vertical scale 1:4; slopes will look correct in WorldPainter but reported heights will be incorrect)

• Increased minimum depth for kelp so there's less chance of it breaching the surface of the water
  • More accurate alignment of terrain types and vegetation to the shape of the terrain

The basic functionality seems pretty much finished to me now; the major things that are missing are resources and caves. I don't know enough about Wurm Unlimited to know how important those are. Should I add support for resources and caves, and what form should that take? How are they used in Wurm Unlimited?

• Like 1

Nice, thanks!

EDIT: The game will generate the cave layer if one isn't present, using the ore zone logic from Wurm Online, so that part isn't absolutely necessary.

Edited by Ricowan

Resource tiles like tar, clay are very important.  Need to be 2x2 at least as edge will dig dirt rather than resource.  

Best use a color picker in a paint program to hilite the distribution on existing map dumps.

http://dumpmaps.wurmonline.info/

Resource tiles like tar, clay are very important.  Need to be 2x2 at least as edge will dig dirt rather than resource.  

You can place tar by using the Soul Sand terrain type and clay using Clay, Hardened Clay or any of the painted Clays. Additionally the Beaches terrain type (which by default exists around all water edges in the initially generated map by WorldPainter) will place patches of clay.