Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Chaos

WorldPainter to Wurm Unlimited converter

Yes 4x4x is 16x that is what I said, it is also why I requested a 1x1 tile mapping so that you do not have to blow out memory just so you can size smooth it to lower rez.

Edited by yarnevk

Sweet!  One observation, moss is much too common and too evenly distributed.  It should probably be about 5% of what it is now and clumped into larger spots (3 to 8 tiles).

While that maybe based on WO maps, moss is a noob resource for making torches which should be noob lighting before they get lanterns.   So it never made sense that Rolf liked to make it difficult with moss being rare because it meant they could never find it and thus never used torches and skipped to lanterns, making moss have no value as rare game resource and no point to even being on a map if it is rare   Moss is not rare in northwestern US forests it is everywhere and since it rains globally in Wurm you could certainly justify more moss.  Already in my limited explore of the default WU maps I am seeing much more resource tiles than was in WO, it will be interesting to get stats on their map dumps.  But I do think it would make more sense if moss was restricted to evergreen forests.

Edited by yarnevk

If that's not a problem, could someone generate for me empty 32768x32768 (8192, xanadu size in wurm terms) .world file ...

That probably wont help you. The reason it crashes is probably because it runs out of memory, and if it can't create a world that size it probably can't load it either.

... I requested a 1x1 tile mapping so that you do not have to blow out memory just so you can size smooth it to lower rez.

That's a good point. Maybe I'll make it an option.

That probably wont help you. The reason it crashes is probably because it runs out of memory, and if it can't create a world that size it probably can't load it either.

Yes, but maybe it won't run OOM when just opening such file - after all generation process takes some (much?) memory as well. Plus, would like to have 1:1 conversion option as well (1 wurm tile = 1 mc block).

Edited by darkhog

New release!

I refreshed the Wurm Unlimited converter; redownload it from the link in the original post. This time I added an unscaled mode, which will perform no horizontal scaling and translate blocks to tiles 1:1. Select it by adding the parameter --unscaled on the command line. Nothing else has changed.

• WorldPainter worlds can be sixteen times smaller with this option, corresponding 1:1 with Wurm Unlimited map sizes: 1,024, 2,048, 4,096, 8,192, 16,384 or 32,768
  • Hills and mountains will look four times as skinny/steep/sharp in WorldPainter as they will be in Wurm Unlimited, take that into account when designing your worlds

Yes, but maybe it won't run OOM when just opening such file - after all generation process takes some (much?) memory as well. Plus, would like to have 1:1 conversion option as well (1 wurm tile = 1 mc block).

With the new release you should now be able to make your world 8,192 blocks wide (and use the --unscaled option when converting it), which takes far less memory so will probably work.

Since I didn't know if TILE_SNOW would work  decided it was time to find out.

4SwL4a5.jpg

This was hand painted as GM using paint terrain, (AUXDATA 30), and so far nothing has crashed.

Not certain yet how snow works, when placed on rock times it can be removed by digging, as GM, not tried it as an ordinary mortal yet, and exposes rock below. which can be mined, tunneled and prospected as normal.

So while it's not used in Wurm ordinarily, it can be used on a server without it crashing, so snow capped mountains are a possibility.

Whether it can be used as part of world generation is a subject I'll leave to the coders ;)

• Like 1

Since I didn't know if TILE_SNOW would work  decided it was time to find out.

Not certain yet how snow works, when placed on rock times it can be removed by digging, as GM

I presume you just changed the surface type of exposed bedrock to snow? What if you have it on the surface layer with dirt depth to rock do you continually dig and get snow (or water or dirt)?

Still testing it really.

On a grass tile, dirt depth 20, can dig down to rock, snow tile remains snow until all 4 corners are rock, then changes to ordinary rock tile.

When digging you get dirt. Adjacent grass tiles turn to dirt.

Packing a snow tile on dirt turns it to packed dirt.

Painting a resource tile with snow, changes it to a dirt tile when packing or digging it.

You can pack a snow tile on rock, and it changes to packed dirt, but attempting to dig results in the rock tile appearing.

So its a resource tile without a resource assigned so it defaults to dirt.   That would be a useful mod for anyone doing polar areas to make it dig up snow that you could melt to water, but for tops of mountains probably only GMs will make it up there.   Good enough for looks though, so I am going to use it.

Hi Captain,

First, big thanks for the converter, it works perfectly and i've spend the last hours playing with it.

Now after congrats the request time ;)

Is it possible to add steppe and Tundra ? it will be great for the higest level. and same for Kelp wich is funny under water.

Another suggestion, is it possible to add in the swamp layer the reed tile ?

Thks

reed tiles have fairly specific slope/depth requirements to farm/harvest them.  Check the wiki.   In general in WO reed is on many shoreline waters and is not in the marsh (even though that is real world).   The main reason would be that they do not grow on marsh tiles.

Fine but why gets stuck by what WO already done ? If you put swamp biome near lake it should have reed ...

But if it's too restrictive to put it  directly to the layer never mind, as you can create your own layer mix, just need to be bind to an existing resource (or a custom one just tell us which id's)

Another idea is to use the custom terrain. How about creating and exporting a .terrain set  with most of the Wurm's terrain binding to no minecraft ID. 

Then in the convertor, convert all what is already done (to import minecraft map) plus thoses specific wurm terrain (for brand new map).

(Not sure I'm clear English is not my native language)

Edited by Elienn

Is there a consensus about the moss? I've heard that it should be in larger patches further apart, and that it is fine like this because moss isn't really used as intended in the game anyway. Should I change it?

Is there a consensus about the moss? I've heard that it should be in larger patches further apart, and that it is fine like this because moss isn't really used as intended in the game anyway. Should I change it?

Well seems fine like that (for me ;)

Fine but why gets stuck by what WO already done ? If you put swamp biome near lake it should have reed ...

The intention of WorldPainter is to be as easy to use as possible and as far as it makes sense do things automatically, so for the reed I'm leaning towards generating clumps of it automatically along water edges (that aren't too steep or rocky). Would that be sufficient?

You means adding it in the Beaches terrain type ? yeap, could be fine.

Is it possible to add steppe and Tundra ? it will be great for the higest level. and same for Kelp wich is funny under water.
Another idea is to use the custom terrain. How about creating and exporting a .terrain set  with most of the Wurm's terrain binding to no minecraft ID. 

Then in the convertor, convert all what is already done (to import minecraft map) plus thoses specific wurm terrain (for brand new map).

Yes, I was thinking about that myself. You could create custom terrain types with special names (perhaps "W:Steppe" or "W:Tundra") which the converter would convert to the appropriate tile types, and which you could configure with the desired Minecraft block type if you also want to export the world as a Minecraft map.

cant get this to work can you make a video step by step please

• Like 1

Yes, I was thinking about that myself. You could create custom terrain types with special names (perhaps "W:Steppe" or "W:Tundra") which the converter would convert to the appropriate tile types, and which you could configure with the desired Minecraft block type if you also want to export the world as a Minecraft map.

Should be perfect, and this way we could also customize the layers to fit exactly what we want 

cant get this to work can you make a video step by step please

i have issues with it too i guess i am technologically challenged, lol

keep getting error

error: unable to access jarfile wurmunlimtedexporter.jar