Sign in to follow this  
Llurendt

[Request] Limit Resource Quality Level

Hello!

I've been looking around trying to figure out if you can limit the ql of world resources, such as ores, rocks and wood/trees. What I'm envisioning is making a server a lot like Epic and making the home islands have resources with a limited quality level to encourage people to go the center island or at least trade with those who do. If the ability to limit resource quality on a server does not currently exist, I would love for someone to mod it in somehow.

Thanks!

Llurendt

isnt it enough that the QL is limited to the farmers skill? so if i ve got money but no mining skill i d mine like QL5 iron. so i d trade with a guy having Mining Skill on 80 to get higher QL iron.

Not quite... The idea here is to encourage people to at least send emissaries to the central server which has better resources and I don't want to do a skillcap on the home servers as they SHOULD be able to succeed more often, make more things, and even keep their priests there if they so desire. (The home servers will still be raidable, of course)

WurmAPI for making maps I think it only specified ore amount not quality, it would have to bypass the server RNG somehow.   Other harvesting quality is dependent on the age of the flora and your harvesting tool, not the flora itself.  There are no high quality trees, although there are different types of trees which benefit different things differentlly (willow better bows better flexibility, walnut is a good hardwood less decay, etc) .  That also can be handled by WurmAPI if the mapper support regional resources to make more desirable woods rare, since wood type and age already improve quality, there really is no need for high quality trees....just make a map that puts better wood types into rare areas, and using existing server config to reduce the growth rate of woods to make older trees rare. Each server in the cluster can have a different map and config, thus promoting PVE sailing trade and PVP conflicts.

Edited by yarnevk

It shouldn't be too difficult to change the RNG... you would simply lower the upper limit that the generator could pick. I have no idea, however, at what point QL is assigned to veins. I would think that the same process would be used for trees, but maybe the QL is created WHEN you chop it down. It should be a relatively simple change, though it probably requires a substantial amount of code scanning to find where it would be modified.

Does anyone know where to look to find the classes governing the generation of quality level? I might take a hack at it myself, but I don't really have time to dig through the jar files, haha.

The item is created in ItemFactory.createItem()

The quality passed to createItem() is determined in the *Behaviour classes like CaveTileBehaviour or in methods call from them like Terraforming.handleChopAction()

Are most items not like veins, then, where they have a quality range?